Shores of Elysium - 11.27.13
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Shores of Elysium (answered by Dylan Glendenintg, vocals)
1. How did you get your band name?
The band was actually named by a previous member, but from what I understand The Elysian Fields off of the river Styx is the place in the underworld where all the forsaken heroes are.
2. How did this band get started?
Everyone in our band has been playing music in different bands around for about 6 years now. The band formed from previous members of other bands that have known each other for quite some time.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
The Black Dahlia Murder, Within the Ruins, Born of Osiris and At the Throne of Judgement just to name a few.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Slayer, because they are literally the epitome of metal. It would also be cool to tour with The Black Dahlia Murder or Skeletonwitch!
5. Best food to eat on tour?
There's a hole in the wall pizza place by Bogie's in Albany, New York that makes a Cajun pizza made from the blood and body of Christ, I swear. It's amazing. You can never go wrong with good ole Jimmy John's though.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to our band because i feel we bring a refreshing take on metal to the table. Lately I feel like alot of metal bands are going through the motions and metal is getting stale. We try to write intriguing music and I feel that the broad spectrum of influence that the band is scattered across comes together to make some really interesting tunes.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Sports are fucking lame. Pay our teachers more.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Definitely everyone who gave enough of shit to seek out and share our music, as well as every band in the scene in Columbus because our music scene is like a big family. We won't ever win a Grammy though, we don't have songs with ambiguous lyrics about heartbreak or pretty singing voices.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The fact that they continuously pump out the same cookie cutter garbage with themes that make young people think that nothing matters other than getting fucked up and fucking, or that your worth is based on your possessions. Also, given the chance I would light Nikki Minaj and on fucking fire.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Playing the Jamboree Ohio last year was amazing. It's sick to see hundreds of kids moshing. Performing to a room full of that many people is a fucking rush.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I have no idea how to answer this question. I know that they support up and coming bands and any website like that gets an A+ in my book.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
I honestly like playing all of our songs but my favorite is probably the newest single "Mindsculpt." The lyrics are pissed and describe to a T my thoughts on organized religion. At the end of the day, no one is going to change their views, and a religious person and a non religious person will never see eye to eye on the matter, so whats the point in even discussing it? Just live.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Denver, Colorado. The foliage is absolutely breathtaking ;)
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Anything played on the radio in the nineties. So many feels. Also lots and lots of Fleetwood Mac.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Teleportation would be sick. I would never need a car. Ever.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
No beers before the show for anyone. I don't drink but it can bum out some of the other members ;P
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I love R&B and rap. Hate on it.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Absolutely not. The general population wants to here the same tried and true bullshit about falling in love or over coming a break up or about how much "swag" you have. Musicianship is no longer appreciated by most, people just want to hear a rehashed beat made out of an old rock song or some dubstep/ house bullshit. Just a bunch of beeps and boops for people to get drunk and dry hump each other to. The radio sucks. Even the metal stations on satellite radio play butt rock most of the time.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I play lots of Magic the gathering lolol. I also work a lot most of the time.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I like to sing and have been told that I'm pretty good at it. I also can juggle? I think that's about it - I'm kind of a one trick pony.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |