Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Frank Turner Run Down Last Year

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/09/13)
Frank Turner has ran down his last year, in numbers, in his blog.
Im now at Jacksonville airport, starting my journey back to the UK. Im pretty exhausted and for once very glad to be heading home.
This tour is done 49 shows in the USA and Canada; if you include the European run, its 70 shows on the trot. This year, Ive done 194 shows (73 of them with two slipped discs in my back). Ive got one left (with Billy in London). Weve played in 22 countries the UK, Ireland, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Italy, Spain, China, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Poland, Canada and the USA 29 states: MA, NY, CA, TX, CO, PA, MD, NJ, OH, WI, IN, TN, RI, ME, VT, MI, IA, NE, UT, NV, WA, OR, IL, MO, AL, FL, GA, NC, and VA.

We played 20 festivals South by Southwest, Byron Bay, Groezrock, Podersdorf Surf, Dauwpop, Bonnaroo, Southside, Hurricane, Bravalla, Ottawa Blues, Toronto Urban Roots, Two Thousand Trees, T in the Park, Poolbar, Jarocin, Newport Folk, Osheaga, Jurassic Rock, Reading, and Leeds. The biggest show of the year was Reading Festival. The smallest was at my nephews primary school in Lancaster.

And thats me done for the year. Thanks to the Sleeping Souls Nigel, Ben, Matt, Tarrant, and honorary extra members Dan and Cahir; to Casey, Graham, Jovka, Eric, Tre, Dougie, Shaun, Greg and the rest of the crew; to all the bands weve shared stages with this year, including The Dropkick Murphys, The Architects, Beans On Toast, Larry & His Flask, George Frakes, Ben Marwood, Off With Their Heads, Die Toten Hosen, Lucero, Jon Allen, The Smith Street Band and Koo Koo Kanga Roo; and of course to everyone who came to the shows.

Submitted by Sean.Murphy

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
01:24 PM on 12/09/13
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Misleading title, haha
01:40 PM on 12/09/13
NoRefuge
User Info.
*ran down, or has run down. Not has ran down.

On topic, those are some impressive figures!
02:06 PM on 12/09/13
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
Koo Koo Kanga Roo was some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard. But they did give me a couple of chuckles.

Stoked I got to catch Frank on this tour though. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed his next album is better than Tape Deck Heart was.
02:16 PM on 12/09/13
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.
Koo Koo Kanga Roo was some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard. But they did give me a couple of chuckles.

Stoked I got to catch Frank on this tour though. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed his next album is better than Tape Deck Heart was.

KKKR reminded me of a hipster version of LMFAO. Did not enjoy them at all haha. I saw him in NYC and he was incredible.

I think TDH is a great album and its gonna be real difficult to top EKMB, but I think he can do it.
02:50 PM on 12/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
KKKR reminded me of a hipster version of LMFAO. Did not enjoy them at all haha. I saw him in NYC and he was incredible.

I think TDH is a great album and its gonna be real difficult to top EKMB, but I think he can do it.
He just did it with TDH. The problem is him topping LI&S which I don't think he will do, ha.
04:09 PM on 12/09/13
scott!athedisco
User Info.
I thought Tape Deck was the perfect record. It somehow had mainstream appeal, while retaining what makes Frank "Frank". My only issue with it is putting "Polaroid Picture" and "Fischer King Blues" right next to eachother, as I think they both are the weakest on the record. I probably would switch out "We Shall Not Overcome" with "Polaroid Picture" and maybe move "Anymore" somewhere else too. Minor quibbles however. Couldn't be more impressed with this release. Everyone I show it to loves it too.

and caught him for the first time this fall in Alabama. It was my third attempt to see him. First time - I had Riot Fest tickets AND plane tickets to Chicago...and last minute I got scheduled for the weekend at work. Fuck me. Then I planned an entire European road trip with my girlfriend to be in Switzerland on like Aug 17. Aug 17 I wake up in Interlaken, everythings going according to plan, I check Absolutepunk...and fuck me again. Frank goes into back surgery. I'm cursed!

But damn when I finally caught this tour, it was so worth it. And easily made up for the grand or so I blew in failed attempts to see him. With a tour schedule like that, I can't fault him for canceling a show or two. Dude gives it all in his live performance. 194 shows, and he finds a way to personalize each one. Can't wait for his next album and tour cycle. It was a good year to be a FT fan :)
04:13 PM on 12/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
TDH was good but it was far from perfect. WSNO is weaker than anything on the album though imo.
04:19 PM on 12/09/13
Sean.Murphy
Stay Hungry, Stay Free
User Info.
I thought Tape Deck was the perfect record. It somehow had mainstream appeal, while retaining what makes Frank "Frank". My only issue with it is putting "Polaroid Picture" and "Fischer King Blues" right next to eachother, as I think they both are the weakest on the record. I probably would switch out "We Shall Not Overcome" with "Polaroid Picture" and maybe move "Anymore" somewhere else too. Minor quibbles however. Couldn't be more impressed with this release. Everyone I show it to loves it too.

and caught him for the first time this fall in Alabama. It was my third attempt to see him. First time - I had Riot Fest tickets AND plane tickets to Chicago...and last minute I got scheduled for the weekend at work. Fuck me. Then I planned an entire European road trip with my girlfriend to be in Switzerland on like Aug 17. Aug 17 I wake up in Interlaken, everythings going according to plan, I check Absolutepunk...and fuck me again. Frank goes into back surgery. I'm cursed!

But damn when I finally caught this tour, it was so worth it. And easily made up for the grand or so I blew in failed attempts to see him. With a tour schedule like that, I can't fault him for canceling a show or two. Dude gives it all in his live performance. 194 shows, and he finds a way to personalize each one. Can't wait for his next album and tour cycle. It was a good year to be a FT fan :)

Your two least favorite tracks happen to be my FAVORITE two tracks haha, i have to disagree, i think Fisher King Blues is one of the best songs he has ever put out.
04:24 PM on 12/09/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Fisher King is easily my least favourite on the record too. Just a kind of bland track imo.
04:51 PM on 12/09/13
The_Blackout94
Chances are, I'm injured
User Info.
Fisher King is definitely one of my favourites from the record, along with The Way I Tend To Be (which might be the best song he's written). Tattoos and Time Machine are fun little songs too, though they're on the Deluxe version.

I'd say Tape Deck Heart is easily up there with his best work. EKMB is probably my favourite still, just for how much I listened to it a few summers ago if for nothing else, but TDH is consistently good throughout.
04:59 PM on 12/09/13
WaveUponWave
Six days no sleep
User Info.
06:21 PM on 12/09/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
TDH is his best album. I seriously didn't know he was on a major label though. That's impressive.
07:50 PM on 12/09/13
AC91
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I had the privilege of going to two of these shows and they were so great!

I agree that TDH is his best album. He takes all the parts that have made him so great and pulled them together seamlessly. My favorite song on the album is Four Simple Words and I think it's his best song overall. It's so fun. Broken Piano is a perfect closer.
08:07 PM on 12/09/13
scott!athedisco
User Info.
My gf wanted to look at the setlist before the show so she could start memorizing songs. I found her a link, but didn't look at it myself so as not to spoil the surprise. When she saw it, she let out a disappointed, "...oh :( " which I took to mean he wasn't playing Four Simple Words, her favorite song. So the ENTIRE show, I was having a great time, but there was this little bit of disappointment because I knew he wouldn't be playing FSW.

Turns out, she made that sound just to fuck with me, and when he came out singing, "because we're all so very.." as his encore....Holy shit. Top 3 concert moment right there. Unbelievable performance, made all the better because I thought it wouldn't happen. Alabama also got "Ballad of Me and My Friends" which was a treat because I thought he didn't play it anymore.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests