Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Spotify Goes Free, But Only on Shuffle

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/11/13)
Spotify's mobile app has "gone free," but the only way to listen to your music sure sounds awful.
The smartphone app, however, doesn't work exactly like the PC service. Users can access their playlists and music albums, but they have to scroll through their lists randomly using a "Shuffle Play" button. Users can't pick the exact song they want to play right away, and will have to shuffle through their playlists.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 68
10:59 AM on 12/11/13
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
Your bias against Spotify is unfounded, Tate...
11:02 AM on 12/11/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't listen to music on shuffle. Not sure how that is bias against anything except how I like to listen to my music -- as a full album, front to back, in order. Or at least with the option to select a song.
11:02 AM on 12/11/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
They make the free experience as inconvenient as possible to try to get people to pay. I have premium and it's absolutely worth it, but I think the company is making pretty questionable moves by alienating people who simply want the free service. I get that they want to make you feel the need to upgrade, but things like this and the ads just leave a bad taste for the prospective costumers.

While I think the payed services between Spotify and Rdio are near identical, Rdio is so much better at the complementary free/limited services and allowing people to sample the experience in order to upgrade to premium. If I hadn't jumped on the spotify wagon early on, I would most definitely sway towards Rdio based on the experiences free users have right now.
11:03 AM on 12/11/13
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
They make the free experience as inconvenient as possible to try to get people to pay.

Right, but I bet it is also a legal issue. It's part of why Pandora only gives you x skips and you can't really hone in on the exact song or album you want.
11:04 AM on 12/11/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.

Too lazy to quote, but he's mentioned multiple times that he thinks spotify premium is a fine service and that he only likes Rdio more because of the interface/the way they handle details. As somebody who loves spotify, I'll agree with him that the way they handle their free/limited options is extremely inconvenient, and that's without even mentioning the more convenient competition.
11:06 AM on 12/11/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I mean, it's not for everyone, but it will definitely be a usable service for your more casual listener.

The interface was always my biggest issue since I got premium about a year and a half, or so, ago. But with ios7, they've updated it and the new interface is better than any of the competitors that I've seen.
11:08 AM on 12/11/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
Right, but I bet it is also a legal issue. It's part of why Pandora only gives you x skips and you can't really hone in on the exact song or album you want.

Well, the x skips is a whole more sense legally, and part of that is the ads that still generate revenue to compensate artists despite users not paying subscriptions, but the whole shuffle play thing seems much more about limiting how functional the free service is compared to the payed one (like making the mobile streaming radio-only). While the legal issues are there, it's inconveniences like this that make people end up paying for the service.
11:09 AM on 12/11/13
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
This is probably a good place to ask -- is there a way to scrobble Spotify plays to last.fm from the iPhone app?
11:11 AM on 12/11/13
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
I don't listen to music on shuffle. Not sure how that is bias against anything except how I like to listen to my music -- as a full album, front to back, in order. Or at least with the option to select a song.
There's no reason not to pay for Spotify.
11:14 AM on 12/11/13
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
More music selection, more ways to listen for free > Sleeker interface (which is also a matter of opinion)

This is like saying that you buy records for the cover art.
11:14 AM on 12/11/13
taborbrown
www.twitter.com/taborbrown
User Info.
This is an awesome way to discover new music though. So many times I have come across a band that I wanted to listen to right away, and I don't always have my laptop to listen. I like this move.
11:15 AM on 12/11/13
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
This is probably a good place to ask -- is there a way to scrobble Spotify plays to last.fm from the iPhone app?

There's a scrobble option in the settings.
11:16 AM on 12/11/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
There's no reason not to pay for Spotify.
I agree with you*, given the choice between this "free" and paying a relatively small fee for unlimited music -- I would pick the "costs less than dinner for a month of music" option every time. However, I know two things: 1) music is valued far less than any other entertainment option these days and people don't want to pay for it, they'll pick the free option and not care, 2) if albums weren't already being devalued for the almighty 'song' - this is yet another nail in that coffin.

* I would still recommend buying the Rdio subscription over Spotify's for many reasons -- the album listening experience being the main one.
11:17 AM on 12/11/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
This is an awesome way to discover new music though. So many times I have come across a band that I wanted to listen to right away, and I don't always have my laptop to listen. I like this move.
But you can't select a song to listen to ... so how does that help? Wouldn't, in that case, plugging it into youtube be a better and faster solution?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests