AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Record Sales News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Record Sales
Inside AP.net

"Beyoncé" Sells 430k+ in One Day, Poised For...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (12/15/13)
Beyoncé's new self-titled record sold more than 430k in its first day of release and is projected to sell more than 600k (all digital, of course) and debut at #1 on the Billboard. Remember that the record was released this past Friday, so that's 600k+ in four day span. For comparison, her first day numbers outsold Katy Perry’s Prism (286k in its first week), Lady Gaga’s ARTPOP (258k), Miley Cyrus' Bangerz (270k), and Kanye West's Yeezus (327k), while her total first week will outsell her husband's (Jay Z) first week output with Magna Carta Holy Grail (528k). Basically, holy crap. It'll be interesting to see what her Friday-Thursday total is - I wonder if Beyoncé could have been the biggest release of 2013.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 65
10:34 PM on 12/15/13
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
Amazing. Good for her.
10:35 PM on 12/15/13
evilandgood
User Info.
I'm really falling in love with this album, too. Songs like "Haunted" and "Mine" are right up my alley!
10:36 PM on 12/15/13
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
What a great shake-up to the status quo.
10:37 PM on 12/15/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
so fucking awesome. she runs everything.
11:02 PM on 12/15/13
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Get it, Bey. Instill fear into the other mainstream pop girls so they stop doing the least and putting out such mediocre releases. This year was shameful for them and they need the heat and motivation. She deserves all the success, and this from a very casual Beyonce fan.
11:05 PM on 12/15/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
She's obviously a major, major artist, but I really hope this release strategy makes people rethink their 3-month, mega millions, pre-release marketing strategies. This is obviously something truly unique, but I hope music starts moving to shorter marketing windows - I'd love to see more records promoted for 2-3 weeks before release.
11:10 PM on 12/15/13
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
She's obviously a major, major artist, but I really hope this release strategy makes people rethink their 3-month, mega millions, pre-release marketing strategies. This is obviously something truly unique, but I hope music starts moving to shorter marketing windows - I'd love to see more records promoted for 2-3 weeks before release.
ia. I'm so sick of months of teasers, clips, "buzz singles" (aka the single flopped and we don't want to admit it, or let's just throw out songs and see what sticks with the general public), and overhype and oversaturation. Then by the time the album drops I'm often sick of them already, or it can never live up to the immense hype that was built. I'd like shorter promo cycles.
11:11 PM on 12/15/13
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
yasssssssss get it Queen Bey.
11:11 PM on 12/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
ia. I'm so sick of months of teasers, clips, "buzz singles" (aka the single flopped and we don't want to admit it, or let's just throw out songs and see what sticks with the general public), and overhype and oversaturation. Then by the time the album drops I'm often sick of them already, or it can never live up to the immense hype that was built. I'd like shorter promo cycles.
This.
11:13 PM on 12/15/13
BallOutBoy
Post Modern Baseball
User Info.
I don't really get the hype with this album. It's good, but not amazing. The release method was cool, but had already been done by a couple bands this year. The "visual album" concept is cool, but again, other bands/artists have done it before.

I get that she is on another level of fame, so her doing this isn't the same as bands like Death Grips or MBV doing it (and I think it's great that someone at her level did it. It sets a nice precedent for the future of mainstream music) but it just seems people are losing their collective minds over something that I'm just not seeing.

I assume (I obviously don't know though) that whoever is Beyonce's manager/decision maker person saw other bands do it, decided it'd be a cool publicity stunt/marketing technique and gave it a go, and obviously, it worked. It'll be interesting to see how other artists of her magnitude respond in the coming months/years.
11:25 PM on 12/15/13
MSIndulgence
www.signaturemistakes.com
User Info.
DAMN
11:31 PM on 12/15/13
soccerlord357
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
JT had about 3 weeks of promo for Part 1 of the 20/20 Experience, and although he did ALOT (commercials, Jimmy Fallon residency, Grammy performance, etc.), the album still felt fresh and didn't feel milked from marketing. Anyone think 'Yonce will top JT's first week numbers and become the highest selling first week of 2013?
11:33 PM on 12/15/13
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
What did eminem sell? He has got to be up there right?
11:35 PM on 12/15/13
BallOutBoy
Post Modern Baseball
User Info.
What did eminem sell? He has got to be up there right?
Over 792k in the first week in the US.

Another interesting fact about Eminem. The week MMLP2 debuted, every single one of his albums made the Billboard 200. That amazed me.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests