Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Vanna Stream Track "Purging"

Posted by: Alex DiVincenzo (12/17/13)
If you enjoyed our recent premiere of Vanna's "Preying," you're going to want to check out the other new track, "Purging," in the replies. The band's new 7"/digital EP is available today.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
02:43 PM on 12/17/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
02:58 PM on 12/17/13
Chuck!
treat yo self
User Info.
Great song
03:25 PM on 12/17/13
PerfectChaos337
User Info.
This rules (of course it does). I love how furious this track is and the lyrics are great. It's cool to hear them incorporating more expansive parts featuring clean vocals. I thought they already did a good job working them in, but more of them fits very well.

Band is one of the coolest, better than a lot of their peers, and more people need to get into them.
06:01 PM on 12/17/13
Trased152425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This rules (of course it does). I love how furious this track is and the lyrics are great. It's cool to hear them incorporating more expansive parts featuring clean vocals. I thought they already did a good job working them in, but more of them fits very well.

Band is one of the coolest, better than a lot of their peers, and more people need to get into them.

Can you rec me stuff from them? I tried to listening to their album on YouTube but the music videos kind of fucked it up for me.
07:13 PM on 12/17/13
PerfectChaos337
User Info.
Can you rec me stuff from them? I tried to listening to their album on YouTube but the music videos kind of fucked it up for me.
I think their recent stuff (The Few and the Far Between) is their best. It's pretty hardcore influenced, but not in a jarring, typical, or trendy way. All sorts of cool lyrics, heavy but still technical guitar parts... It's not super melodic, but it doesn't hurt it in any sort of way. One of my favorite records to be released this year.

They put out 2 records before that - And They Came Baring Bones (2011) and A New Hope (2009). Both of those are a lot more... almost metalcore-y? I'm bad with genres.

A New Hope is their most accessible for sure. That one has lots of catchy parts and cool choruses. It's how I was introduced to the band and got them a lot of hype when it came out, so that might not be a bad starting point. Different singer that isn't as good as the current one, though.

ATCBB is the better of the two pre-TFATFB releases, because it's a really tasteful mix of what they were doing and what they ended up going for afterwards. It's darker and faster, but still has the big choruses. Almost gets moody and ambient in some parts, which is cool.

Not exactly a solid answer, but I think everything they've done is cool. I guess go for whatever of those descriptions is the most appealing, haha.
07:16 PM on 12/17/13
WarmThoughts
You wont break my mind just yet,
User Info.
I think their recent stuff (The Few and the Far Between) is their best. It's pretty hardcore influenced, but not in a jarring, typical, or trendy way. All sorts of cool lyrics, heavy but still technical guitar parts... It's not super melodic, but it doesn't hurt it in any sort of way. One of my favorite records to be released this year.

They put out 2 records before that - And They Came Baring Bones (2011) and A New Hope (2009). Both of those are a lot more... almost metalcore-y? I'm bad with genres.

A New Hope is their most accessible for sure. That one has lots of catchy parts and cool choruses. It's how I was introduced to the band and got them a lot of hype when it came out, so that might not be a bad starting point. Different singer that isn't as good as the current one, though.

ATCBB is the better of the two pre-TFATFB releases, because it's a really tasteful mix of what they were doing and what they ended up going for afterwards. It's darker and faster, but still has the big choruses. Almost gets moody and ambient in some parts, which is cool.

Not exactly a solid answer, but I think everything they've done is cool. I guess go for whatever of those descriptions is the most appealing, haha.
I remember hearing Safe To Say for the first time off of A New Hope and being really impressed way back in the day, a lot of my friends thought they were the cream of the "metal core" crop at the time.
08:41 PM on 12/17/13
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
I remember listening to a few of their older songs back in the day and happened to catch them on the recent Norma Jean show. Super small crowd but Vanna put on one of the most passionate performances I've ever seen. Singer ran around the crowd, rallied people together, and generally tried to get everyone involved. Bought their most recent CD and it's much heavier than I anticipated. This song is great too. If you're not familiar, try to see them live. They honestly deserve it.
09:39 PM on 12/17/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
What happened.
01:04 AM on 12/18/13
eaglejak
Exhale you, inhale the rest
User Info.
Excellent track. TFATFB is my #2 album of the year.
09:58 AM on 12/18/13
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.

Excellent answer.
02:38 PM on 12/18/13
danawalker
User Info.

They also released "Curses" in 2007, their first full length, and have released two EPs. One EP came between A New Hope and ATCBB, and the other was their first official release on Epitaph in 2006. That and Curses are heavier than A New Hope but far different from how they sound now, mostly because they had a different vocalist and I think their drummer at the time (original member Brandon, now guitarist in Lions Lions) helped write too. Found this band through an AP ad in '06 recommending their EP to fans of Norma Jean and Underoath. Went to Best Buy and $5 was a fan. Really solid live show. Not really a fan of their new stuff though. Prefer the southernish metal feel with catchy chorus from Evan.
03:01 PM on 12/18/13
PerfectChaos337
User Info.
They also released "Curses" in 2007, their first full length, and have released two EPs. One EP came between A New Hope and ATCBB, and the other was their first official release on Epitaph in 2006. That and Curses are heavier than A New Hope but far different from how they sound now, mostly because they had a different vocalist and I think their drummer at the time (original member Brandon, now guitarist in Lions Lions) helped write too. Found this band through an AP ad in '06 recommending their EP to fans of Norma Jean and Underoath. Went to Best Buy and $5 was a fan. Really solid live show. Not really a fan of their new stuff though. Prefer the southernish metal feel with catchy chorus from Evan.
Yeah, I was aware of the EPs and the older stuff, but it's such a different lineup that I really don't consider it to be in the same bracket as the 3 recent releases. I feel like for someone who has decided they like the band, it;'s interesting to check out and dig through, but in my opinion, the 3 LPs are the meant and potatoes of their discography.

Curses and the EP have some jams, but I feel like it's sort of a lot of the same. It's good stuff, but I hardly listen to it because I just enjoy the other stuff so much more. Personally, I feel people over-exaggerate how good Evan was. Dude wrote interesting parts, but Joel is just as good, even though he sounds a bit different. I know many will disagree with that though, haha.
08:18 PM on 12/18/13
shadley07
User Info.
As far as hardcore bands go, Vanna and Gwen Stacy(RIP) are the most underrated. They both have an unclean sound where it doesn't sound like it was filtered through a computer three hundred times. Reason why i like band's first album, least filtered, least expensive and just jamming out albums.
02:05 PM on 12/19/13
danawalker
User Info.
Yeah, I was aware of the EPs and the older stuff, but it's such a different lineup that I really don't consider it to be in the same bracket as the 3 recent releases. I feel like for someone who has decided they like the band, it;'s interesting to check out and dig through, but in my opinion, the 3 LPs are the meant and potatoes of their discography.

Curses and the EP have some jams, but I feel like it's sort of a lot of the same. It's good stuff, but I hardly listen to it because I just enjoy the other stuff so much more. Personally, I feel people over-exaggerate how good Evan was. Dude wrote interesting parts, but Joel is just as good, even though he sounds a bit different. I know many will disagree with that though, haha.
Fair enough, and I figured that was the reason you omitted them. I think Curses jams though, regardless of the lineup. Production is not very good, though. But for a metalcore album (or something in that neck of the woods) it is a strong release. I will admit a lot sounds the same. But I can say the same for A New Hope. After the 1st half of the record I usually move on. They seem most comfortable now with the way they write/perform - like I said, I just miss the old style haha. Their tour videos are the best any band has ever done though!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS