AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I See Stars - New Demons Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 79%
Inside AP.net

I See Stars - New Demons

Reviewed by: iamalexenglish (12/17/13)
I See Stars - New Demons
Record Label: Sumerian Records
Release Date: October 22, 2013

I See Stars has come a long way. In 2011, I wouldn't even give them the time of day to write a review on The End of the World Party. Then something clicked with them on Digital Renegade and they developed their own sound. This album, New Demons, is their newest installment.

The intro, "Initiation Sequence," is a bunch of electronic sounds put together in a form of a test and when the sub-sonic bass fails it then transitions into Ten Thousand Feet. The intro is very generic and bland and in some ways disappointing. "Ten Thousand Feet" isn't a let down. I See Stars comes out with their keyboard, throwing some high sounds in the mist of low guitars. In this album, they don't just add a few electronic sounds in here and there without reason. Zack Johnson is relentless on the keyboard and the synth. "Follow Your Leader" blends synth and guitar well. This song also has a few very much needed "bridges". In the past, I See Stars had the same beat going the entire time; the only thing that was changing was the synthesizers and effects. I think "Follow Your Leader" shows that they worked on changing up the tempo in their songs. "Murder Mitten", comes in with some old school piano and soon erupts into Zach Johnson screaming,"You won't see me die here!" This song is very dynamic: the vocals from Oliver are very dynamic, Zach's unclean vocals are dynamic, and the effects are always changing. The guitarists are on their A game here and there are often synth and guitar breakdowns with Andrew's backing vocals used just right. "Murder Mitten" is a very strong track. Although, just when you think I See Stars has shown you everything they have to offer you listen to songs like "Judith Rules" and "Boris the Animal," which are very unique. "Judith Rules" is a very upbeat song, but is very bland if you take away the effects. It's decently simple drumming and guitar riffs are a plus. "Boris the Animal" is the exact same way. If you were to take away the synth tracks it would just be another bland song.

This album is another huge step up for I See Stars, but they aren't fully there yet.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
05:56 AM on 01/02/14
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
I agree with you that this album is a step up, but in terms of writing reviews, try to stay away from using the same word multiple times. You used "dynamic" three times in one sentence. Also, split up the paragraphs. It looks really amateurish when you have a three sentence intro, one mammoth sized body, and then a one sentence closer; even them out.
06:35 AM on 01/02/14
iamalexenglish
Mayor of Splitsville
User Info.
I agree with you that this album is a step up, but in terms of writing reviews, try to stay away from using the same word multiple times. You used "dynamic" three times in one sentence. Also, split up the paragraphs. It looks really amateurish when you have a three sentence intro, one mammoth sized body, and then a one sentence closer; even them out.
Thanks dude. I appreciate it. I still need a lot of help writing reviews.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests