AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Our Sunday Affairs - Cave Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Our Sunday Affairs - Cave

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (12/18/13)
Our Sunday Affair - Cave
Record Label: Too Far Gone Records
Release Date: November 18, 2013

Falling in love with Our Sunday Affairs' debut album Cave is quite a bittersweet affair. The noodly emosters have finally seen fit to release a full body of music for the world and already it's time to say goodbye, given the band's recent decision to call it quits. So, before you read the following review and fall in love, as I have, here's a little disclaimer: it's not my fault if you listen to this album thanks to my review and find that your life is now worse off with the knowledge that OSA will never create more music. I accept no responsibility. Suck it up, kid, and write a #emorevival album.

So, to the record. Cave is a 'small emo band' event of sorts. Ever since their debut EP, Smiles From Next Year, the four piece have been creating quite upbeat, lo-fi emo which, despite sparks of brilliance, seems to have been overlooked in spite of the recent success of bands such as Tiny Moving Parts and Foxing. However, while their career may have been a quiet one, Cave is the sound of them going out with a bang. With guest vocals from Evan Lescallette (Marietta) and Ricky Christian (Mallard) and a whole host of exhilarating, sprawling tracks Our Sunday Affairs never fail to surprise.

If one was to give out an award for 'most endearing' album of the year, Our Sunday Affairs would be onto a winner. Through Jake Schwab's off tune, discordant vocals, Tom Weil's late 90s indie rock meets modern emo guitar work and the band's generally sweet, obtuse lyricism, Cave deals in the type of wide eyed youthfulness which fueled the teens of the 90s to take the music of Built To Spill, Weezer and Modest Mouse into their hearts. Indeed, Cave has a lot more in common with Modest Mouse's The Lonesome Crowded West than it does with most of the identikit twinkle daddy bands that have been popping up around everywhere in the last two years. Album highlight “Gaia’s Footsoldiers” is like the nerdy little brother of Desaparecidos’ Read Music, Speak Spanish - filled with stop/start guitars, laid back yet forceful vocals and wonderful, accusatory lyricism. Lines like the excellent “You want poignant lives / and rollercoaster rides/ sticky cotton candy / and the thickest cocaine lines” show an intelligently witty side of Our Sunday Affairs which tends to be lacking from many of the overly earnest bands that have come out of the scene.

Elsewhere, the record is equally interesting. The mid-paced and melancholic opener “Oilhead” is a perfect introduction to the music to follow. Twinkly guitars make way for simplistic riffage and Schwab’s dead pan vocals leave the listener to wonder whether lyrics such as “because I can / because I want to / because there’s no one around to tell me not to” aren’t entirely sincere or have been overcome with teenage apathy. “Woke Up Next To Rows Of Teeth” is another highlight. Once again sharing characteristics with Modest Mouse, it’s a winding, sporadic track, it leaves the listener bouncing in their seat and is straight up fun. Closer, “Happiness On Cooldown (Final Song)” ends the record perfectly, almost acting as a summary for the tracks that have preceded it. Sporadic and sprawling, simultaneously melancholic and fun, it plays out like one final jam session for the band - if a jam session could possibly be that wonderful.

Analysing the album for this review has had the effect of making me even sadder about the demise of Our Sunday Affairs. Cave is a hidden gem in the current emo scene that will, sadly, probably not get the attention it deserves. If you want emo with a little less angst and more wit or you’re an aficionado of 90s indie rock, Our Sunday Affairs’ Cave is the record for you. A late highlight of 2013.

Recommended If You LikeTiny Moving Parts meets Modest Mouse; Built To Spill; Park Jefferson; the genres I usually review on AP

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Oilhead
2. I
3. Moon Sized Shield
4. II
5. Born In A Storm
6. III
7. The Hum
8. Gaia's Footsoldiers
9. IV
10. Woke Up Next To Rows Of Teeth
11. Fatter Wires
12. Cocoon
13. V
14. Happiness On Cooldown (End Song)

Band Members
Jake Schwab
Tom Weil
Donald Malmos
Ryan Malmos

8.5/10

Facebook
Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
01:02 PM on 12/18/13
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Fantastic review, as usual. It made me really curious to check out this band.
09:47 PM on 12/18/13
StayFaithful
Pray for a reason to breathe.
User Info.
This band is truly incredible. What a perfect review. The bands previous EP's were just as good. Check em out.
07:53 AM on 12/20/13
pissand409
User Info.
Great album, Too Far Gone records is killing it
08:55 AM on 12/20/13
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
Tiny Moving Parts meets Modest Mouse? That's about the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Solid review!
10:40 AM on 12/20/13
mikeyg003
@mikegiannotti95
User Info.
I saw these guys play in a basement with TWIABP and Dads, but they didn't impress me; but I'll check them out.
12:03 PM on 12/20/13
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
lol
06:31 PM on 12/20/13
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
It's free on Bandcamp so I'll definitely check this out. It seems like something I'd enjoy also.
10:36 AM on 12/28/13
HandsomeJake
Man About Town
User Info.
You can pick it up on cassette here: http://seizureman.storenvy.com/colle...-cave-cassette
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums