AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Recording News - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 73.
11:43 AM on 12/20/13
jesster4life911
User Info.
The quality of his lyrics and personality have nothing to do with his vocals.

I never said he was a good songwriter, a good lyricist, or a good person. I said he's a good vocalist. It's blatantly obvious on Emarosa's Relativity and Isles & Glaciers' EP that he has tremendous talent, and I really don't see how you could say otherwise.
I would say he has a good, even great voice...but tremendous is a stretch for me. And in the end, voice is only a fraction of what matters. Lyrics and intent are extremely important and Jonny has no message.
11:46 AM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would say he has a good, even great voice...but tremendous is a stretch for me. And in the end, voice is only a fraction of what matters. Lyrics and intent are extremely important and Jonny has no message.
Haha, again, no arguments there - that's just not what we were talking about.
11:47 AM on 12/20/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
His voice has always been overrated.

I think his voice and pitch were the only thing great about this guy. Whether he wrote the melodies or not is the real question. His lyrics and terrible personality are really what ruin this guy's music.
11:50 AM on 12/20/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
Yeah, but like it's still a crime right? If I mugged somebody on the street and then gave them back their wallet the next day I'd probably still be charged. Seems weird that this whole thing was swept under the rug and that anyone is still willing to give money to him, be it a record label or someone buying his music.

If the victims of the fraud pursued it, then there would be a case. They were paid back by his label and for them apparently that was enough. In reality, none of the young fans probably even knew the first step in pursuing legal action, so it never happened.
11:55 AM on 12/20/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
Tilian Pearson, Tyler Carter, Kellin Quinn, Kurt Travis, Brandon Roundtree, Ian Kenny, Anthony Green, Casey Crescenzo, Joey Vannucchi, Matt Segallos, Steven Colyer, Andy Hull ...and that's just in this particular scene.

Anthony green is a given. The first 5 you listed are all produced high pitched jokes. Seriously Kellin Quinn? Even when discussing someone like Jonny Craig this guy shouldn't be ranked higher than anyone.
11:58 AM on 12/20/13
jesster4life911
User Info.
You listed some vocalists there that I absolutely adore - but at the very, very least, Jonny Craig is certainly in the same category as those guys, if not better than most.

Tilian's fantastic - but Jonny has better range.
Tyler Carter's great - but Jonny has more power.
Ian Kenny, Casey Crescenzo, and Andy Hull are some of my favorites, but tremendously different singers than Jonny, and arguably don't have his range. Casey is the closest, and I'll give you that he's potentially better due to tone.
Joey Vannucchi is an incredible songwriter (everyone knows I'm the biggest FIL fanboy there is), but is not the same category as most of these guys in straight vocal terms.
I think you're ignoring Tilian's range because his voice is so high. Watch this video, and you'll change your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teT4-viSRWA

I also think you're giving Jonny the win on power compared to Tyler because Jonny's voice is raspier. Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNg1uB0wE8Q

Here is Ian Kenny with an amazing range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlE2Nd0npJI

Here is Andy Hull with an amazing range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3M43FDEDA

And here is Joey V killing it in not only range and power, but also being more dynamic than you'll ever see from Jonny, some amazing lyrics, and playing guitar at the same time. I think saying they're not comparable because they have different singing styles is ignoring the fact that Jonny is just not as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWi3OUSA3E
12:05 PM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think you're ignoring Tilian's range because his voice is so high. Watch this video, and you'll change your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teT4-viSRWA

I also think you're giving Jonny the win on power compared to Tyler because Jonny's voice is raspier. Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNg1uB0wE8Q

Here is Ian Kenny with an amazing range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlE2Nd0npJI

Here is Andy Hull with an amazing range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3M43FDEDA

And here is Joey V killing it in not only range and power, but also being more dynamic than you'll ever see from Jonny, some amazing lyrics, and playing guitar at the same time. I think saying they're not comparable because they have different singing styles is ignoring the fact that Jonny is just not as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWi3OUSA3E
I've seen literally every vocalist you've listed here at least 3 times, with the exception of Andy Hull and Ian Kenny. Hell, I actually think I premiered that NGHBRS song, haha. Using recorded versions won't make your case, because anyone can sound good in a studio.

I've seen Tilian perform Jonny's songs, and again, love Tilian - but he actually doesn't have tremendous range. What's special is just how high his voice is. He hits highs vocalists couldn't dream of - but he doesn't have a normal low range. Jonny's range is wider.

And I adore Joey V as a songwriter, and love FIL live - but he's just not in the same category as anyone else you listed. He's incredibly unique, amazingly talented, and one of my favorites, but as far as straight vocal talent, he's not in the same place as these guys.
12:11 PM on 12/20/13
ChaseTx
Anthony green is a given. The first 5 you listed are all produced high pitched jokes. Seriously Kellin Quinn? Even when discussing someone like Jonny Craig this guy shouldn't be ranked higher than anyone.
Whoa man, Kurt Travis included? Kurt's great. Not really the same kind of singer as Jonny at all though
12:14 PM on 12/20/13
jesster4life911
User Info.
I've seen literally every vocalist you've listed here at least 3 times, with the exception of Andy Hull and Ian Kenny. Hell, I actually think I premiered that NGHBRS song, haha. Using recorded versions won't make your case, because anyone can sound good in a studio.

I've seen Tilian perform Jonny's songs, and again, love Tilian - but he actually doesn't have tremendous range. What's special is just how high his voice is. He hits highs vocalists couldn't dream of - but he doesn't have a normal low range. Jonny's range is wider.

And I adore Joey V as a songwriter, and love FIL live - but he's just not in the same category as anyone else you listed. He's incredibly unique, amazingly talented, and one of my favorites, but as far as straight vocal talent, he's not in the same place as these guys.
I feel like you're excluding Tilian just for the fact that his voice is an octave higher than Jonny's. He clearly has an incredible range, his voice is just naturally higher pitched.

I could find live videos of these artists proving my point as well, but no matter how much I show you, there will be no changing your mind. The fact is...this new Jonny Craig record will flop just like his previous one. He's washed up.
12:31 PM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like you're excluding Tilian just for the fact that his voice is an octave higher than Jonny's. He clearly has an incredible range, his voice is just naturally higher pitched.

I could find live videos of these artists proving my point as well, but no matter how much I show you, there will be no changing your mind. The fact is...this new Jonny Craig record will flop just like his previous one. He's washed up.

Dude. I have seen Tilian perform Jonny's songs, on multiple occasions. I have seen both Jonny and Tilian perform more than 6 times apiece. I have even seen the two of them sing together at shows. Tilian's voice is definitely an octave higher, but has less range. I have literally had this conversation with him personally - why do you think the melodies have changed in DGD's songs live?

I'm all for discussing, but if you're making arguments like "he's washed up" or that his natural higher pitch somehow means his range is wider, that's just silly.
12:33 PM on 12/20/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
Whoa man, Kurt Travis included? Kurt's great. Not really the same kind of singer as Jonny at all though
I've listened to him live, watched a bunch of videos. Honestly, unless he's improved immensely since joining ALLB (which I will say, No Place is a good record) I don't think Kurt is a good vocalist off record. His performances with DGD were abysmal.
12:56 PM on 12/20/13
ChaseTx
I've listened to him live, watched a bunch of videos. Honestly, unless he's improved immensely since joining ALLB (which I will say, No Place is a good record) I don't think Kurt is a good vocalist off record. His performances with DGD were abysmal.
Some early ones were (seems like it took him a while to get used to the rigors of touring) but by the time i saw him during the Happiness cycle, he was great. He's also done well the 2 times I've seen him since
01:08 PM on 12/20/13
mattymcclelland
User Info.
I mean the dude can obviously sing, but I agree with him not being able to construct a hook. Honestly my favorite thing he's been in is Isles And Glaciers and who knows which one of them actually wrote those melodies.

Oh, and new Emarosa with Bradley is about to be fantastic, I loved him in Squid.
01:11 PM on 12/20/13
mattymcclelland
User Info.
And also, holy crap. Vocal Comparison City up in here. Everyone brings something different to the table.
01:15 PM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And also, holy crap. Vocal Comparison City up in here. Everyone brings something different to the table.
THIS.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums