AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Staff Content News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Staff Content
Inside AP.net

"Four Chords & Seven Years Ago" - Count...

Posted by: Christian Wagner (12/20/13)
Ok kids, time to sit around the campfire for another week of "Four Chords & Seven Years Ago." Last week we discussed Emanuel. This week I dug a little deeper to talk about Count The Stars. You can view my entry in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 42
07:19 AM on 12/20/13
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Trivia time! Name the drummer of a former Victory Records artist that has become one of the biggest rock booking agents in the world. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I didn't expect you to know the answer because I wouldn't have known the answer without being tipped off about this a few years ago. His name is Dave Shapiro. Although the new generation of informed young guns may recognize him as the agent behind A Day To Remember, Chiodos, The Wonder Years, Sleeping With Sirens, and countless others, he got this start by playing the drums in New York's Count The Stars.

Hailing from upstate New York, Count The Stars crafted their own brand of snotty emo pop-punk synonymous with the early of 2000s. Fans of Midtown and The Matches will relate to songs filled with heartbreak and tales of being mad at ex-girlfriends, which were ubiquitous themes found on their 2 records. (Writer's Note: Not intentional, but all 3 of the bands featured thus far only had 2 LPs.)

Despite only having an average of 18 years old in 2001, the band released their debut LP called Another Useless Night on Dreamsand Records and then signed with Victory Records to release their second full-length Never Be Taken Alive. Like many bands that were on the rise, they were opening great tours for the likes of Taking Back Sunday and Fall Out Boy. In addition, they also played part of the Vans Warped Tour. Unfortunately, the band was in an accident in September 2003 and then broke up in November, ending a path filled with promise and potential.

Bassist Clark Foley joined The Reunion Show and then several members including Foley and guitarist Adam Manning ended up creating Action Action. Shapiro played drums for Cinematic Sunrise and has become a tremendously successful booking agent. Sadly, Count The Stars' history was short but sweet.
07:30 AM on 12/20/13
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
I used to have a count the stars shirt, I wonder if I still do have it buried somewhere. That album on victory was really good.
07:49 AM on 12/20/13
trevorshmevor
User Info.
I remember when I bought Tell All Your Friends, it came with a Victory sampler, and "Taking It All Back" was one of the songs on it. Never went out and grabbed the album, but I liked that song and few of their others a lot at that time.
07:52 AM on 12/20/13
fothermucker
Show's over, mother fuckers.
User Info.
Never Be Taken Alive was my shit. Such a solid album.
07:54 AM on 12/20/13
Cameronisonfire
I want my toast with butter and jam
User Info.
Blast from the past. Never Be Taken Alive is a great album.
07:57 AM on 12/20/13
Dob
partypartyparty
User Info.
Oh myyyyyyyyy. I lost my Count the Stars shirt from years ago. But I definitely still listen to these guys every so often. They definitely ended way too soon.
07:58 AM on 12/20/13
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
The Victory album was definitely one I played a bit back in the day, never was a big album for me but I did enjoy it.
08:00 AM on 12/20/13
adamnicholasTM
Artist Manager
User Info.
So stoked to see CTS get some posthumous recognition. Easily one of my favorite bands from the early 00s along the likes of Brand New, Something Corporate, The Starting Line and so forth. I wouldn't be mad to see a reunion happen.
08:09 AM on 12/20/13
lovemetal24
User Info.
the 16 year olds go….who?
08:13 AM on 12/20/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Saw them a few times, that was such a fun record. Good guys too, chatted with them a bunch at an Early November show if I remember correctly. I wanna say I saw them play with Grover Dill, Hidden In Plain View and Early November. It was so long ago I'm not too clear on that though lol.
08:14 AM on 12/20/13
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the 16 year olds go….who?
That's the point of this weekly feature :)
08:26 AM on 12/20/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Cool feature Christian! I remember hearing "Better Off Alone" like 10 years ago through this online radio station and I liked it, but I never actually got around to buying the record.
08:36 AM on 12/20/13
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
I used to get these guys confused with Student Rick all the time. Dave Shapiro is a bad ass.
08:40 AM on 12/20/13
Mikenovacane
BRXTN
User Info.
Yes! Gotta go dig out my Count The Stars trucker hat from Warped Tour. Man, I used to love these dudes.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests