AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.92
Musicianship 4.88
Lyrics 5.46
Production 5.96
Creativity 5.21
Lasting Value 4.33
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 51%
Inside AP.net

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

Reviewed by: weworemasks (06/22/08)
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Record Label: Cash Money / Universal / Young Money
Release Date: June 10, 2008

Lil Wayne is one of the busiest, most hard-working and sought out emcees in hip-hop. For the last three years, the 25-year-old phenomenon has hopped onto anyone and everybody’s songs, from Destiny’s Child to The Cool Kids to Fat Joe. He has also managed to become the largest cash cow for Cash Money Records and is also the CEO of his own label, Young Money Entertainment.

Business endeavors aside, Tha Carter III has been highly-anticipated in the hip-hop community, topping several “most-anticipated of 2008” lists and being on the receiving end of endless hype. With the bandwagon growing and the hype on a steady increase since the release of Tha Carter II, one can imagine the pressures of being able to put out an album that will live up to and possibly surpass expectations.

Tha Carter III opens up with “3 Peat” a track that glorifies Wayne’s personal trifecta of his current and past albums, also the anchor on which most of the album relies on. “Mr. Carter” is among the most enjoyable songs, as Dwayne Carter and Shawn Carter (a.k.a. Jay-Z) follow-up 2007’s “Hello Brooklyn,” from Hova’s American Gangster, and team up together once again for another classic hip-hop song.

Other standout tracks include “Tie My Hands,” in which Weezy steps up as the frontrunner of New Orleans and takes on political challenges. Aside from clichéd shots at the president, the song is a must-listen. “Shoot Me Down” and “Dr. Carter” are also choice selections from the record.

For every impressive track on the album, there is an equally appalling track. Aside from the atrocious single “A Milli,” songs like “Phone Home” and “La La” are filler and do nothing but stunt positive feedback about overall product.

One of Tha Carter III’s strong suits is diversity. Although there are many songs on the album that tackle drug addiction, politics and the pressure’s of the hip-hop community, Weezy manages to lighten the mood in several songs with an abundance of ad-libs, snarky comments and his trademark laughter, all of which he has patented and molded into his own style.

The production team behind Tha Carter III is another beneficial asset to Lil Wayne. The record is comprised of pristine work from some of hip-hop’s finest, including Kanye West, who lent his vocal talents on four songs, including “Comfortable” and “Let That Beat Build.” Other notables include Swizz Beatz and Cool & Dre, among many others. It’s a shame that Weezy can't do many of these beats justice.

Another standout for the album are its guest artists, who deliver and, in most cases, overshadow Weezy. Along with Jay-Z, Fabolous, Robin Thicke and Babyface all make cameos on the album. T-Pain, 2008’s go-to guy for hooks, makes an appearance on “Got Money,” which will surely be a huge summer hit, but falls flat in many areas.

To sum up, Lil’ Wayne will become a casualty of his own hype. Aside from singing his own praises, Weezy does very little to supplement his claims for being “the greatest rapper alive.” Yes, the man has a style and presence that is unparalleled. And yes, he has a dedicated fanbase and beloved reputation. That is exactly why the album will sell like hotcakes.

For an artist who spends countless hours in the studio hopping onto remixes and releasing mixtapes, you would hope that he would put as much effort into an official studio release to support these outlandish statements. Despite being one of the most charismatic and appreciated rappers, Tha Carter III, albeit a good release, is a lackluster testament to the legacy of Lil Wayne.

Recommended if You Likeslurred speech, fantastic beats, overhyped emcees, swagger, outlandish rhymes and word manipulation

myspace.com/lilwayne

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25.
03:34 PM on 06/23/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Why is this shit getting repeatedly reviewed on this site?
04:23 PM on 06/23/08
.KillMoneen.
User Info.

ITS MUSIC! When will idiots like you ever get it? Don't read it if you don't like it.
04:41 PM on 06/23/08
Haartleey
WebsterHallNYC
User Info.
i like it. i wanna hear travis barker remixes of every song. word.
05:03 PM on 06/23/08
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Pleased with the review, Roshan. Thanks for a good read.

I'm also enjoying this album.
05:48 PM on 06/23/08
Klatzke
User Info.
ITS MUSIC! When will idiots like you ever get it? Don't read it if you don't like it.
yeah, i can stand hip-hop. Its this Lil' Wayne bullshit i can't.
07:02 PM on 06/23/08
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
lil wayne is shitty. He raps crap punchlines and thinks hes the dopest shit ever. Dont think i forgot how much of a joke you were on the block is hot lil wayne! He's garbage, appreciated by white kids that dont know rap and radio junkies that dont care to look up underground, all of those that are unaware of the dying art in popular hip-hop. The underground hip-hop scene is having a revolution much like the "punk" scene did after the millenium. Of course these cocky shit rappers like kanye and lil wayne look like rap gods when you compare them to whats popular these days.. do some crate digging and you'll find some real hip hop. This music is hard to digest.
08:11 PM on 06/23/08
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
lil wayne is shitty. He raps crap punchlines and thinks hes the dopest shit ever. Dont think i forgot how much of a joke you were on the block is hot lil wayne! He's garbage, appreciated by white kids that dont know rap and radio junkies that dont care to look up underground, all of those that are unaware of the dying art in popular hip-hop. The underground hip-hop scene is having a revolution much like the "punk" scene did after the millenium. Of course these cocky shit rappers like kanye and lil wayne look like rap gods when you compare them to whats popular these days.. do some crate digging and you'll find some real hip hop. This music is hard to digest.

I think this cd kicks straight up ass. Lil Wayne's rhymes and metaphors give this album its greatness. Rappers like Kanye and Lil' Wayne are saving hip hop. The one killing it is Soulja Boy.
01:01 AM on 06/24/08
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
Although Soulja boy, lil jon, etc are destroying a lot of the good elements in hip hop, lil wayne and kanye are still trash. They both are a lot better than a lot the rap that is popular these days and thats why they are hailed as the kings. In reality all the best producers in the world does not make lil wayne legit with hip hop heads...lil wayne is so much of a fucking gimmick that when he raps deep it comes off as phony. and kanye rapping is a joke, stick to making club hits, thats the only thing these 2 are good for.
12:48 PM on 06/24/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Most of all hip-hop pertains to how they are the best and others suck. i dont' get why you say taht's a negative to Lil Wayne when EVERYONE does it. Weezy just does it better! A 71 is a bit weak but I thought your writing and review was pretty good actually
12:49 PM on 06/24/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Although Soulja boy, lil jon, etc are destroying a lot of the good elements in hip hop, lil wayne and kanye are still trash. They both are a lot better than a lot the rap that is popular these days and thats why they are hailed as the kings. In reality all the best producers in the world does not make lil wayne legit with hip hop heads...lil wayne is so much of a fucking gimmick that when he raps deep it comes off as phony. and kanye rapping is a joke, stick to making club hits, thats the only thing these 2 are good for.

Tupac and Biggie are dead, get over it! Seriously, who is the king of hip hop then? Let me guess, nas?
12:52 PM on 06/24/08
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.

1. i write for a school newspaper, figured i'd submit it here
2. your profile has a picture of greeley estates.
3. go fuck yourself.
02:02 PM on 06/24/08
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
3. go fuck yourself.

hahahahahaha, love it.

this album is starting to grow on me, I really love the 1st half of it
08:34 PM on 06/24/08
Klatzke
User Info.
3. go fuck yourself.
Mmm, nice mature response.
08:45 PM on 06/24/08
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Mmm, nice mature response.
Shut up.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE