Username
Password
Amazon News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Amazon
Inside AP.net

Amazon Also Won't Sell "Beyoncé"

Posted by: Drew Beringer (12/21/13)
Amazon is following Target's example and will also refuse to sell physical copies of Beyoncé's new self-titled album.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 73
07:49 AM on 12/21/13
deadkidsean
__
User Info.
Good for them–I love retailers standing up for themselves. Physical media has been on its last leg for some time and stuff like what Beyoncé did is so wholly detrimental.
07:50 AM on 12/21/13
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
I laughed because I saw her album at Starbucks this morning.
07:51 AM on 12/21/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Good for them–I love retailers standing up for themselves. Physical media has been on its last leg for some time and stuff like what Beyoncé did is so wholly detrimental.
they aren't doing that for some "lets embrace physical media" bullshit, they really aren't going to lose that much revenue from not carrying it, this is just a PR stunt.
07:51 AM on 12/21/13
vasilisa
User Info.
but will sell the mp3s? you're oh so daring amazon.
07:53 AM on 12/21/13
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
why
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
Maybe I'm not getting the full picture, but this seems really stupid.
deadkidsean
__
User Info.
they aren't doing that for some "lets embrace physical media" bullshit, they really aren't going to lose that much revenue from not carrying it, this is just a PR stunt.
Of course they aren't, I didn't mean to insinuate that. But if enough major retailers try to stop things like digital-first releases and the industry takes notice, it could bode well for physical media for the future.
07:55 AM on 12/21/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Maybe I'm not getting the full picture, but this seems really stupid.
no, you're seeing the full picture
07:57 AM on 12/21/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Of course they aren't, I didn't mean to insinuate that. But if enough major retailers try to stop things like digital-first releases and the industry takes notice, it could bode well for physical media for the future.
they can try, but imo I don't know if that will ever stop artists. I know its a losing battle with CDs now that we have iTunes and spotify ect. I think this kind of model with digital only, (at least at first) really works with huge artists or bands with devoted following like Radiohead did with in rainbows.
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
Weird call. Guess they'll try to maximize digital sales.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
If i can't get it from a drone in 30 minutes I wouldn't want a physical copy from Amazon anyway.
08:04 AM on 12/21/13
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
Amazons new model is so nice I don't know why anyone buys albums digitally. Buy the physical cd from them, you get to download the mp3's instantly and get the cd in the mail. This is usually the same price as the digital album
08:05 AM on 12/21/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
That'll show her!
08:07 AM on 12/21/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
It's time for retailers and labels to stop hoping that consumers will start buying CDs again and embrace the fact that digital download/streaming is here to stay in the current market. Considering the album did extraordinarily well with a digital-exclusive release, I don't think that Amazon and Target have a very strong case in this "protest."

This is coming from someone who uses vinyl and Rdio for music.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests