AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Blog News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

On My Honor Singer Blogs About Being Gay and Christian

Posted by - 12:49 PM on 12/24/13
On My Honor's lead singer has come out in a blog.
I am gay, and I am a Christian.

To Reynolds and many others, this seems to be a paradox. As a teenager, it did to me as well. I had the feelings and in a way always knew, but continued to make excuses. “Surely it’s a phase,” “I’m confused,” “If I was, I would know and be open about it,” and of course, “I can’t be gay, I’m a Christian.” The odd part is that I never had a true opposition to homosexuality. Even when I was quite young, I can remember supporting the idea of gay marriage, especially in a nation that supposedly does not discriminate based on religion. By high school, I openly supported the LGBT movement, but I still had work to do in myself. I’ll spare the details, but by 23 I felt that I had finally come to understand myself in those regards and began letting my friends know, oftentimes apologizing for the fact that it took me as long as it did to be completely honest with myself and with them. Both of my parents found out within the last year. I never had any video confessional or major blog “coming out” for everyone, as I didn’t see the point. There were no suddenly shattered closet doors, illuminating fireworks or loud bells magically ringing, as nothing really changed, other than my acceptance of myself.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 93
12:50 PM on 12/24/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Very well-written blog. Great band too.
12:51 PM on 12/24/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
I don't think I've ever heard of this band
12:56 PM on 12/24/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
I just want to go ahead and make it clear to anyone else who shows up on this thread,

Even for the people who do think homosexuality is wrong

The idea that "a Christian can't be gay" is as ludicrous as the idea that "a Christian can't be a sinner."
01:00 PM on 12/24/13
Passion Man
User Info.
I was just listening to their album, "I Never Deserve the Things I Need" the other day. I'm glad he is able to be honest with himself. Must be a huge weight lifted off his shoulders.
01:01 PM on 12/24/13
Jolan
USA
User Info.
...thats tight, but Nickleback has a new metalcore album coming out in February!!
01:12 PM on 12/24/13
RobotOrel213
Born Howling, Still Swinging
User Info.
...thats tight, but Nickleback has a new metalcore album coming out in February!!

But seriously, good for him. Band rules, and dude is one of the best dudes.
01:18 PM on 12/24/13
onautolux
CC
User Info.
Very well-written blog. Great band too.
Agreed
01:25 PM on 12/24/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I'm happy for him :)

I think I'll check out his band later, since I don't think I've listened to them before.
01:27 PM on 12/24/13
anciar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
that's cool, don't really think its a big deal though
01:28 PM on 12/24/13
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
So much love and respect for Drew and the guys!
Played w them a few times.
Always amazing people and very down to earth.
01:31 PM on 12/24/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Great read, really happy for him. After all of the outcry on both sides over the Duck Dynasty, I've calmed down a bit and realized that this pastor has the right idea:
http://intheparlor.wordpress.com/201...doesnt-matter/
As a nonreligious ally, it's refreshing to hear someone in the middle of all of this stop and basically say, what you think about homosexuality doesn't matter, because what matters is the fact that kids are dying. Keep it to yourself, stop intentionally provoking others, and instead try and welcome these people into your churches and homes to let them no that no matter what, they are loved and their lives are important.
01:31 PM on 12/24/13
davidwalbrun
Registered Member
User Info.
that's cool, don't really think its a big deal though

And that's when we as a race will know we have progressed, when this isn't news and just part of everyday life.
01:35 PM on 12/24/13
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
I've never heard of the band before but dude has my support. I can't even fathom how hard it is to live life not being able to fully express yourself. I only wish that as this country continues to progress it won't be seen as a big deal when someone comes out and we're all just like oh hey man that's awesome let's go get celebratory drinks. Regardless it still takes courage to come out in this day and age.

Glad for the guy.

I have a feeling next year is going to be huge for gay rights.

And also on a side note, I'm a Christian too and still support gay rights fully so before any responds with the whole "Christians are all close minded thing" nope there's a growing number of us who are just about love and acceptance.
01:40 PM on 12/24/13
Spencer Control
So it goes.
User Info.
Really glad he was able to come to terms with it/himself comfortably.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos