AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Blog News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Ex-Woe, Is Me Vocalist Laments Lost Local Scene

Posted by - 02:06 PM on 12/30/13
Former Woe, Is Me vocalist Hance Alligood has posted a blog about the lack of good local scenes in music these days. Thoughts? Anyone else feeling the same thing?
They ďskippedĒ the local band phase. In some situations, one or more members of this new band were in previous acts, whether they were just a local band or a band that had done a few tours and had been picked up by someone, but thatís not always the case. Sometimes itís just a band funded by kids with wealthy parents. Well nowadays, it seems like everyone who decides to form a band doesnít even try to put in work and gain any sort of success locally. And any bands who really wanna work to build up a local following canít even do that anymore because there isnít enough support to have a thriving local scene.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
02:09 PM on 12/30/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Yup, very true. Oh well.
02:16 PM on 12/30/13
StolliFresh89
User Info.
He's just salty
02:25 PM on 12/30/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Even though his former band is fucking abysmal at best, he makes some fair points.
02:26 PM on 12/30/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Is this really that big of a deal? I get that some people dig the local scene, and that's great, but if a band is big enough (or thinks they're big enough) then why not skip to the big leagues? It's not like anyone is obligated to play local shows and with new technology, people don't have to build a buzz in their hometowns to gain a following. Seems shortsighted.
02:27 PM on 12/30/13
danielplaysbass
ballin'
User Info.
100% true
02:31 PM on 12/30/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Is this really that big of a deal? I get that some people dig the local scene, and that's great, but if a band is big enough (or thinks they're big enough) then why not skip to the big leagues? It's not like anyone is obligated to play local shows and with new technology, people don't have to build a buzz in their hometowns to gain a following. Seems shortsighted.

That's the point. I think there's fair points on both sides of the issue. There's arguments to be made that being a local band is damaging.
02:32 PM on 12/30/13
hometownblues_
Sam
User Info.
I have to try and play outside my county if I wanna play my own music. If we play the local scene without playing Oasis/Kasabian/Arctic Monkeys covers, no-one will take notice of us at all or even show up to the gigs. People in smaller towns aren't interested in things they don't already know.
02:33 PM on 12/30/13
livinginpixels
User Info.
Local shows suck.

sorry
02:36 PM on 12/30/13
Fourchordwonder
Love was a war worth fighting.
User Info.
He makes a lot of good points, but the heart of the issue isn't bands with rich parents or anything like that. It's just that the internet has made it possible and really pretty easy for bands to have a substantially bigger following outside of their hometown than in it. I've seen it happen with quite a few local and regional bands in my area. Bands don't need a big local following to catapult them into other markets, and if bands don't need a local scene to achieve their goals, then they have no vested interest in contributing to or building up that local scene.

While that isn't inherently a bad thing, and people can choose whatever path they want to get where they want to be, I place a lot value on the community and camaraderie that springs up around local music, and I'm therefore more inclined to support bands that feel similarly.
02:38 PM on 12/30/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
That's the point. I think there's fair points on both sides of the issue. There's arguments to be made that being a local band is damaging.
Yeah I get it. I guess the whole romanticizing of "local scenes" just exhausts me sometimes.
02:38 PM on 12/30/13
ChaseTx
It's kind of like the farm system in baseball, in that very few maybe talented or lucky enough to jump right into the national scene, but the vast majority are going to rise up through the local scene and make a name for themselves. That can be thrilling for the local fans to watch. It's more fun to watch a band play small clubs from the beginning than it is to catch them at HOB for the first time.
02:40 PM on 12/30/13
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
User Info.
He has no room to talk when WIM got signed w/o playing a show. Obviously, he wasn't in the band then, but it's still a valid point
02:45 PM on 12/30/13
.dot
behance.net/jordanhaenlein
User Info.
I have to try and play outside my county if I wanna play my own music. If we play the local scene without playing Oasis/Kasabian/Arctic Monkeys covers, no-one will take notice of us at all or even show up to the gigs. People in smaller towns aren't interested in things they don't already know.
No Free Bird, no care.
02:47 PM on 12/30/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Winnipeg has a great local scene right now... but we're also in the middle of nowhere. If you want to go to punk shows in this city you have to support the local scene or you're only going to go to like 5 a year because almost no touring bands come through here.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos