Username
Password

Comments: Page 6
Displaying posts 75 - 90 of 471
01:49 PM on 01/06/14
Spencer Control
So it goes.
User Info.
Sigh... this is horrible. I sincerely hope the accusations aren't true, for everybody's sake, but I guess we'll see. It's so upsetting how much more frequently we see stories like these.
01:53 PM on 01/06/14
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Well, what's weird to me if this happened 10 years ago right? Conor Oberst was pretty famous back then, so why did she make it seem like he wasn't? At that point he was seen being with Michelle Williams and Winona Ryder.

Not saying that this discredits her, but it just seems a bit off. Also, she seems to be a student of Oberst's older brother. This could actually be checked out.
Matthew Oberst Jr. is his older brother and is/was a teacher.
01:53 PM on 01/06/14
MTGT
User Info.
Isn't this kind of thing libel? I know to out someone as a rapist in the UK without going to the police or making it a formal complaint would be libel and rightly so. As people have stated this could be said about anyone in any situation of fame. Obviously the whole facts arn't known about this actual scenario but surely it should be innocent until proven guilty without shaming the anonmynous post or Conor himself.
01:55 PM on 01/06/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Isn't this kind of thing libel? I know to out someone as a rapist in the UK without going to the police or making it a formal complaint would be libel and rightly so. As people have stated this could be said about anyone in any situation of fame. Obviously the whole facts arn't known about this actual scenario but surely it should be innocent until proven guilty without shaming the anonmynous post or Conor himself.
i just took a class that covered this and im already forgetting what the law states exactly, but its very hard for a public figure to sue for libel. something about having to prove there was malicious intent and something else, im pretty sure
01:55 PM on 01/06/14
steve187
nah
User Info.
of course
01:56 PM on 01/06/14
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Hey, guy? Libel has to be proven in court.

For fucking seriously though - woman speaks out about rape, people instantly accuse her of libel. Disgusting.
01:56 PM on 01/06/14
projectmayhem16
keep cool, but care
User Info.
Not a shocker?
01:57 PM on 01/06/14
MTGT
User Info.
Hey, guy? Libel has to be proven in court.

For fucking seriously though - woman speaks out about rape, people instantly accuse her of libel. Disgusting.
So does rape no?

Wasn't accusing her of libel per se. Just saying to not go to the police at the time makes it a bit of an odd situation. Also just saying it is quite easy for someone to start a blog and declare they have been raped by an actor or musician who is or has been in the limelight. This is not a time to pick sides. Rape in all shapes and forms is wrong and should always be punished but it also has to be proven in the right manner.
01:58 PM on 01/06/14
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
Libel is a deliberate defamation by false statement. If proven to be false, it could be considered libel under laws.

Edit: Jake said it best. You need to prove malice.
01:59 PM on 01/06/14
ihaveblink
User Info.
Matthew Oberst Jr. is his older brother and is/was a teacher.
So the guy from Sorry about Dresden? Maybe somebody could shoot him a line about this?
02:00 PM on 01/06/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is terrible by way wait so long to come forward? This shit must be reported immediately or it adds doubt
02:01 PM on 01/06/14
jpmalone4
Avoid Eye Contact Monthly
User Info.
i just took a class that covered this and im already forgetting what the law states exactly, but its very hard for a public figure to sue for libel. something about having to prove there was malicious intent and something else, im pretty sure
You're probably talking about Sullivan v New York Times. Only applies to defendants who are media outlets, not individuals. Don't think it applies here anyway but I could be wrong.
02:02 PM on 01/06/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
You're probably talking about Sullivan v New York Times. Only applies to defendants who are media outlets, not individuals. Don't think it applies here anyway but I could be wrong.
thats the one, couldnt remember if it extended beyond media outlets either.
02:02 PM on 01/06/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Is there really a story here? I mean, a news story. This girl (I assume, they're still unanimous) is retelling a 10-year-old memory on a comment thread. There's also a Tumblr, but do we even have proof they are connected? If so, does it matter?

I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of the accusation, but there is very little 'fact' to this story. The person says they don't want exposure or to make a big deal about it, but now the tens of thousands connected to the POZ and AP newsfeeds see that someone somewhere claims Connor Oberst raped them a decade ago. The impact that has on his fans, be it true or not, is lasting.
Yes, we know they're connected. Does it matter? In my opinion, yes that also matters.

Searching for "facts" in accusations is always going to be a difficult endeavor. A lot of it will be based upon credibility of evidence and story, etc. It's also why this post is worded as it is -- there's no claim of truth, simply a claim of what is currently happening and allowing people to form their own opinion on the topic. We've posted about these kinds of things in the past with other bands/accusations/etc., and not posting it once more information came out seemed to not mesh with what's been posted before. The story had already gone viral before we covered it, and I am aware that we've made it more public -- however, that was something I struggled with during the weekend when deciding to run it or not. You don't have to agree with that decision.

As with the second portion of your post, that was addressed via the blog:
Mainly because the term “anonymous commenter” was being thrown around a lot, as if I was some troll just trying to get a rise out of people. I wanted people to know that is not the case and for them not to be able to use that as a reason to discount my experience or avoid putting any real thought into the situation.

There’s also a lot of misinformation going around and some things are way off the mark.

I felt the need to humanize myself instead of just being this abstract “anonymous commenter” that could be written off so easily.

The news aside, I appreciate the way AP has handled how to present it.

I have to say, i really like the way you guys posted this news story, based on the shaky ground of the source(s). Tough situation for sites to cover accurately, even tougher for the parties involved.
While it's weird to be saying "thanks" in a thread or topic like this, I do wanna say thanks. It's been an ongoing learning process of how to post/report on things of this nature and absolutely gut-wrenching each time.
02:03 PM on 01/06/14
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
I feel like this happens way more then we seem to think. These musicians get worshipped and they begin to believe that every girl that's a fan wants to have sex with them even if they say no.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos