AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Blog News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

How "Chinese Democracy" Was Leaked

Posted by - 04:28 PM on 01/08/14
The blogger who leaked Guns n Roses' Chinese Democracy explains how he did it.
Within 30 minutes or so of confirming that the tracks were legit, they were up on Antiquiet.com. I didn't put a ton of thought into this act, but I knew this much: As I've said, If I were to simply announce that I had the tracks, no one would believe it. My intent was not to spread it, but to allow it to be played through a streaming player to obliterate any doubt. I knew I was starting a fire, and that original editorial does a pretty good job of laying out the mindset behind my actions. But I didn't think it through past that.

Submitted by neo506

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
04:49 PM on 01/08/14
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If im reading this correctly this guy is a complete piece of shit and everything that is wrong with people today. So he leaked it not because that was his intent but because he needed the satisfaction of knowing people (mostly probably complete strangers) believed him when he said he had the album because they wouldnt have believed him otherwise? I cannot stand people who have to be the first to know something or do something and further tell everyone else how they were first like it somehow makes them cool or something.
04:58 PM on 01/08/14
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If he thought putting it into a streaming player wasn't spreading it, he's an idiot.
04:59 PM on 01/08/14
sergioisevil
User Info.
If im reading this correctly this guy is a complete piece of shit and everything that is wrong with people today. So he leaked it not because that was his intent but because he needed the satisfaction of knowing people (mostly probably complete strangers) believed him when he said he had the album because they wouldnt have believed him otherwise? I cannot stand people who have to be the first to know something or do something and further tell everyone else how they were first like it somehow makes them cool or something.
First.
05:11 PM on 01/08/14
WasteSomeTime
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed
05:13 PM on 01/08/14
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
Interesting. I always wonder about the people who leak stuff, especially when it's high profile. Seems super risky and not worth it just for some bragging rights.
05:14 PM on 01/08/14
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
haha i honestly forgot about the assholes who post "first" when i wrote that, you win.
05:28 PM on 01/08/14
codeseven
/* No route to host */
User Info.
This was a great read. Thanks.
05:35 PM on 01/08/14
ThSceneReleases
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You my friend missed the chatbox texts over @ it-leaked.com oh I haz this before you and that.got really terrible after awhile who cares.
05:54 PM on 01/08/14
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Jesus, only a little ways into reading this but this guy sounds like a tool.

I have the FBI’s notes from our initial meetings and phone calls, and nothing in them hasn’t already been stated here. I didn’t tell them anything about Steve, the courier, or Jimmy Iovine’s CD, because at the time, I hardly believed any of it to be true. They wanted to know technical details. Forensic stuff. What computer did I use, what version of Linux does my web server run. Stuff like that. I invited them to my apartment the following morning. Despite the first visit being a surprise, I took it far less seriously than it actually was, and remember it as cordial and mostly amusing. I’m pretty sure my first words to them, when I saw them sitting there, were something like, “what are you guys, FBI agents?”
05:58 PM on 01/08/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
read this yesterday. was pretty damn entertaining
06:01 PM on 01/08/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
man, people need self validation from the weirdest places
06:08 PM on 01/08/14
suckitandsee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Interesting. I always wonder about the people who leak stuff, especially when it's high profile. Seems super risky and not worth it just for some bragging rights.

I process these thoughts on a day to day/week to week basis. I download A LOT of stuff. Movies, shows, games, music. All of these things are made available to me for what purpose to the uploader? People just risk their financial and legal well being for no actual gain, not to mention the time it takes them to RIP stuff to the computers and upload it or create a torrent.

Honestly, I'd never ever do that not because I'm just too damn lazy.
06:20 PM on 01/08/14
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.

Pretty much. Yeah.
06:22 PM on 01/08/14
Wayne Warren
One lump or two ?
User Info.
So, he's on par with the whole " Like, Comment and Subscribe " cliques.

Strangers are strange.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version