AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Hip-Hop News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

"Jay Z's Pursuit of Profit and Why We Don't Trust Him"

Posted by - 11:47 AM on 01/10/14
This article on The Daily Beast, by Rawiya Kameir, discusses how Jay Z's business side has led to him appearing not trustworthy.
Last fall, critics and fans wanted to see Jay Z take a principled stance by publicly condemning Barney's for its proven track record of racially profiling black customers; instead, he moved to donate 100 percent, rather than the original 25 percent, of his capsule line's revenue to charity. No doubt contracts and other constraints limited his choices, but it further entrenched the perception that he is actively retreating deeper into strictly self-serving territory. The same applies to his involvement with the Brooklyn Nets, whose Barclays Center eyesore is a $700 million monument to forced gentrification; Jay Z’s co-sign, which was used to legitimize the project, was seen as a betrayal. The unexpected divestment of his Nets shares in 2013 followed as a harsh blow, and the resulting sense of mistrust has magnified every misstep and every terrible lyric, redefining Jay Z's brand to ill effect.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
11:50 AM on 01/10/14
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
It's a good article but I always thought that was implied. Like, I didn't think anyone had a huge level of trust in him.
11:51 AM on 01/10/14
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Not sure I get the author's point about the Nets investment. Of course it's a huge influential factor in pushing low-income, long time residents out of their neighborhoods (this is definitely not a new discussion about Jay Z's involvement). But once he took his shares out, it's a "harsh blow"? I guess he's saying it's a double-edged sword. Anyway, as Dustin says, nothing new about Jay-Z.
11:52 AM on 01/10/14
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Not sure I get the author's point about the Nets investment. Of course it's a huge influential factor in pushing low-income, long time residents out of their neighborhoods (this is definitely not a new discussion about Jay Z's involvement), but once he took his shares out, it's a "harsh blow"?
Was wondering about that too.
11:53 AM on 01/10/14
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Was wondering about that too.
Edited above.
11:56 AM on 01/10/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Does this really matter? Should I have been trusting Jay Z before? Is it bad he's making money? Beyonce firmly about her art? With an iTunes only release that was sure to have monster sales?
12:00 PM on 01/10/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
12:10 PM on 01/10/14
ACA
Next Show: Balance & Composure @ NY
User Info.
ridiculous article
12:17 PM on 01/10/14
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
Thought the Beyonce comparison was unnecessary. Maybe I don't understand the Samsung deal but why was it so bad?
12:18 PM on 01/10/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
lol no one ever said it was a new conversation.

I like the piece - it's pretty comprehensive and it doesn't fall too far towards an "I hate Jay-Z bias" imo.

As for the Nets thing, I think the author's implying that he stuck around long enough to profit and then divested after all that gentrification and entrenching himself as the cultural face of the Nets ownership even though he was a minority stakeholder.
12:26 PM on 01/10/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Thought the Beyonce comparison was unnecessary. Maybe I don't understand the Samsung deal but why was it so bad?
It seemed a little unnecessary to me too, but the explanation that Beyoncé's image is tailored differently than Jay-Z's made sense to me.

As for Samsung, I don't think that paragraph was part of the "he's untrustworthy" thesis - it was just an explanation of some reasons why he's rolling in cash.
12:36 PM on 01/10/14
Uncalled Four
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wait, I'm confused... so the cops knew all along internal affairs were setting them up?
12:40 PM on 01/10/14
Dre Okorley
User Info.
As for the Nets thing, I think the author's implying that he stuck around long enough to profit and then divested after all that gentrification and entrenching himself as the cultural face of the Nets ownership even though he was a minority stakeholder.
Ah ok, makes more sense now. Thanks for the clarification.
12:45 PM on 01/10/14
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I think the title of the article makes me cringe. Why would we ever feel the need to "trust" him anyway?
12:47 PM on 01/10/14
WhaleSnake
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What do these words meannnnnnn??

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT