AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Panic At the Disco News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Panic! The Musical Video Blog Update

Posted by - 01:23 PM on 01/11/14
The book writer for the independent musical production "Panic! the Musical" (yes, it's a musical based on Panic! at the Disco songs) has released a new video blog that you can find in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
01:23 PM on 01/11/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
01:54 PM on 01/11/14
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Everything about this is embarrassing. I hope Panic! C&Ds these guys soon.
02:16 PM on 01/11/14
peanutismint
User Info.
What is a book writer? Surely it's just a 'writer'? I don't call Spielberg a 'Movie Director'??
02:33 PM on 01/11/14
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
What is a book writer? Surely it's just a 'writer'? I don't call Spielberg a 'Movie Director'??
"The bookwriter is the member of a musical's writing team who creates the book—the musical's plot, character development, and dramatic structure. Essentially, the bookwriter is the playwright of the musical. He or she works very closely in collaboration with the lyricist and composer to create an integrated piece of drama."

thanks Wiki
03:01 PM on 01/11/14
Dob
partypartyparty
User Info.
I still don't follow how this is a thing.
03:48 PM on 01/11/14
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Everything about this is embarrassing. I hope Panic! C&Ds these guys soon.
I felt embarrassed for her watching that as well lol. She should've just personally skyped with the 5 people that are dumb enough to think this project will go anywhere.

Edit: 530 dollars raised with 48 days to go. There's actually 11 dumb people, my bad lol.
05:08 PM on 01/11/14
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
But when will she realize how stupid this is/how much legal trouble she'll be in if she doesn't secure the rights?
05:09 PM on 01/11/14
Amongster
Take A Deep Breath
User Info.
Some things should not be.
05:22 PM on 01/11/14
TheGoodnightMoon
cursed far more than I am praised
User Info.
Kind of reminds me of when I was a little kid with crazy ideas that would never come true. Then I grew up.
07:02 PM on 01/11/14
imposs1ble
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love how at the minute mark how she starts talking about how like paramore & fall out boy, the word on this got out too early, but they just went with it and that's what they're doing--just going with the flow and accepting that this got out to the public before they were ready to put it out to the public. It's very admirable.

And to Those hackers that went online, started a bunch of social media on this, and even structured their entire indiegogo campaign before they were ready for it, shame on you. I can't imagine the heartbreak that these young talents felt when they logged into their emails and saw that somebody else started all of this for them and they were all forced to adapt to this circumstance.

And kudos to you guys for making the change and adapting. You showed all of those jerk offs "hey, you're not gonna stop us! We've got an eleven person army backing us! That's enough for two basketball teams AND a ref! Boom!"
07:46 PM on 01/11/14
thetruthisvile
..but vital to this cause.
User Info.
Putting aside the legal ramifications of doing this for a second - jesus christ, how cynical can you sound? Remind me never to do anything creative or this website will rip me to shreds.

I completely agree that going forward with this project without securing the rights was a bad call. That being said, I think it's pretty cool they're writing a musical. That's hard work, even if their motivations were misguided.
08:05 PM on 01/11/14
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Putting aside the legal ramifications of doing this for a second - jesus christ, how cynical can you sound? Remind me never to do anything creative or this website will rip me to shreds.

I completely agree that going forward with this project without securing the rights was a bad call. That being said, I think it's pretty cool they're writing a musical. That's hard work, even if their motivations were misguided.
This made me think...if the band got behind this it could actually be REALLY cool. Their music would definitely lend themselves well to a project like this.
09:21 PM on 01/11/14
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.

There's a difference between "doing something creative" and "blatantly stealing the music of others to cobble together some sort of deluded fan fiction," hahaha.
11:43 PM on 01/11/14
thetruthisvile
..but vital to this cause.
User Info.
There's a difference between "doing something creative" and "blatantly stealing the music of others to cobble together some sort of deluded fan fiction," hahaha.
Speaking candidly, I've read some fan fiction that's actually pretty creative. I'm not sure who died and made you the arbiter of what is and isn't considered creative, but I'm glad we could go ahead and clarify it in this forum.

"Blatantly stealing" is a pretty heavy accusation to throw at these kids. They're not ripping off the melody of Miss Jackson and trying to pass it off as an original composition in their musical. It's coming out of a place (and as I said before and will admit again - probably a misguided place) of appreciation and tribute for the artist's work.

There's been a lot of musicals (some on Broadway!) in the past that have taken different songs from an artist/band's body of work and formed an unrelated story around it. These kids aren't the first, the only difference is that they're doing it without the rights cleared.

I always thought PATD's music was perfect for the stage. Props to these kids for being inspired enough to write something and execute it, even if they're going to probably get sued.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos