Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Beyonce Publishes Essay on Gender Equality

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/13/14)
Beyonce has written an essay titled, "Gender Equality is a Myth!" for the Shriver Report.
We need to stop buying into the myth about gender equality. It isn't a reality yet. Today, women make up half of the U.S. workforce, but the average working woman earns only 77 percent of what the average working man makes. But unless women and men both say this is unacceptable, things will not change. Men have to demand that their wives, daughters, mothers and sisters earn moreócommensurate with their qualifications and not their gender. Equality will be achieved when men and women are granted equal pay and equal respect.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
11:01 AM on 01/13/14
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Hmmm..
11:05 AM on 01/13/14
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
She was all about this in her GQ interview a few months back, which really bummed me out since the photoshoot was done by Terry Richardson, which... just... gross.
11:25 AM on 01/13/14
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
The woman married to the rapper who writes incredibly misogynistic lyrics is right.
11:30 AM on 01/13/14
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think Beyonce might fall into the category of a Perfect Bitch.
11:37 AM on 01/13/14
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
"Today, women make up half of the U.S. workforce, but the average working woman earns only 77 percent of what the average working man makes."

Irresponsible misuse of statistics and lack of source, hooray.
11:37 AM on 01/13/14
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
She was all about this in her GQ interview a few months back, which really bummed me out since the photoshoot was done by Terry Richardson, which... just... gross.
people can really convince themselves to ignore certain aspects of another person's being when it benefits them.
11:44 AM on 01/13/14
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
Didn't Time Magazine recently publish an article citing statistics that men and women receive equal pay for the same job? And that the apparent gap stems from the fact that men work more hours on average than women do, thus being paid slightly more for that work?
12:07 PM on 01/13/14
only the clouds
throw your body on the bad times
User Info.
Didn't Time Magazine recently publish an article citing statistics that men and women receive equal pay for the same job? And that the apparent gap stems from the fact that men work more hours on average than women do, thus being paid slightly more for that work?
Are you talking about this article? It only discusses hourly wages, which I'm thinking does not include salaried jobs (aka often the more skilled jobs). Not to mention it says that the wages still aren't equal. There's still far more to be done.
12:12 PM on 01/13/14
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
Are you talking about this article? It only discusses hourly wages, which I'm thinking does not include salaried jobs (aka often the more skilled jobs). Not to mention it says that the wages still aren't equal. There's still far more to be done.
That's not the article I remember reading, but this one is good as well. Thanks for sharing it.
12:17 PM on 01/13/14
Ryan Dennehy
Women make seventy seven cents on the dollar on average which is what she says. When you compare specific fields it's closer but there's still a 5 to 15 cent disparity.
12:43 PM on 01/13/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
I know people like to pick apart beyonce's brand of feminism all the time, but I do love that such a powerful mainstream artist is bringing up the discussion when so many are afraid to even use the word feminist lest they be branded a man hater. I may disagree with her choices sometimes but there's a lot of feminists I disagree with so idk.
12:48 PM on 01/13/14
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
I know people like to pick apart beyonce's brand of feminism all the time, but I do love that such a powerful mainstream artist is bringing up the discussion when so many are afraid to even use the word feminist lest they be branded a man hater. I may disagree with her choices sometimes but there's a lot of feminists I disagree with so idk.

I agree with this.
12:53 PM on 01/13/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
"Today, women make up half of the U.S. workforce, but the average working woman earns only 77 percent of what the average working man makes."

Irresponsible misuse of statistics and lack of source, hooray.
I'll source it for you.
Women are almost half of the workforce. They are the equal, if not main, breadwinner in four out of ten families. They receive more college and graduate degrees than men. Yet, on average, women continue to earn considerably less than men. In 2010, female full-time workers made only 77 cents for every dollar earned by men, a gender wage gap of 23 percent. Women, on average, earn less than men in virtually every single occupation for which there is sufficient earnings data for both men and women to calculate an earnings ratio.
01:35 PM on 01/13/14
rob42186
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll source it for you.
Women are almost half of the workforce. They are the equal, if not main, breadwinner in four out of ten families. They receive more college and graduate degrees than men. Yet, on average, women continue to earn considerably less than men. In 2010, female full-time workers made only 77 cents for every dollar earned by men, a gender wage gap of 23 percent. Women, on average, earn less than men in virtually every single occupation for which there is sufficient earnings data for both men and women to calculate an earnings ratio.
I think he was referring to this:

http://ideas.time.com/2013/03/07/the...andberg-think/

Quote:
If you control for things like college majors and occupations, the pay gap, or the discrepancy between men’s and women’s earnings that can be attributed to bias and discrimination, shrinks down to about one-third of its size. This is what the American Association of University Women determined when it surveyed male and female college graduates one year after graduation and found that, absent all explanatory variables, even including a graduate’s GPA and how selective their school was and how long they were unemployed after graduation, the women made 93% of what the men were making. In other words, 93 cents to the man’s dollar. Not 77 cents. Not 81 cents. Ninety-three cents.

Yes, there still is a disparity. Yes, it's a good discussion to have, whether 93% is an "acceptable" range.
Lets face it, a 1-to-1 ratio of anything, anywhere is never a realistic goal. If you apply for a job a week earlier or a week later than your exact twin, you might make 95%-105% of what your twin is making, all things considered. But to think that at your average 9-5 office job, making $65k/year as a male, the woman next to you hired the same day as you, doing the exact same work, sitting right next to you, is making $50k/year is simply not true.

On a separate note (from Beyonce's Essay),

Quote:
Men have to demand that their wives, daughters, mothers, and sisters earn more

To me, that sounds like women are only counted as people when associated with a man, and as well should hope that the men in their lives take up their cause for them. that sounds like faux feminism. women, at over 50% of the population and 50% of the work force, are powerful enough to handle their own cause, and don't have to hope that the men in their lives take up their cause. I'm definitely not saying the men won't take up the cause, are against the idea, or anything of the nature (i'm absolutely all for women being paid and treated the same in the workplace), but that shouldn't be the goal. And for me, it really takes away from [the snippet that was readily available of] her essay about empowering women and fighting for women when in the first paragraph, one of the actionable points is to lean on the man in your life.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests