Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 1 posts
11:47 AM on 01/14/14
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Amazing read. Few people stop and think about how making this album really was almost like Russian roulette for the people involved (I'm sure the ones who bailed as far as studios, personnel, etc, worried about career suicide or not connecting with their own art or whatever). The experience shared is specific, and while the message of self acceptance is universal, the specific subject of trans identities not only fails to connect to a large group, it also turns another group away from the album altogether. I can see why keeping bandmates can be hard when the album is something that might make even them feel disconnected, but I think against me is much stronger now for releasing the album despite all that. While some people may say it's a gimmick theme for the album that will help sales because of the press coverage of the Laura story, I think it's what makes the album stand out. Most albums are worried about being gimmicky and end up lacking honesty. This was clearly the main aspect of Laura's life and as the songwriter it makes sense the album portrayed that. All in all, the album and the article are both fantastic and I hope it can reach more audiences and I hope it makes people uncomfortable because it should. I felt uncomfortable because it's something I've never even been close to, not in a disapproving way, just in a way that felt like I was listening to something really personal. It was a refreshing feeling when compared to listening to albums that hide in fake cynicism or an overly jaded persona.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos