AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 54
05:52 PM on 01/14/14
heyguys123
User Info.
Please don't refer to her as Tom. She has told us for years now what her name is, and there's no reason for the name "Tom" to be used anymore. Not trying to be rude or start anything-- just be considerate of her wishes.
So it's only appropriate to call her Laura even when referring to times when she was ostensibly living as a male? You've gotta have some leeway for the fact that most people haven't dealt personally with trans people and aren't sure of all the etiquette. Otherwise you're just making people with good intentions feel alienated for not knowing the right things to say. I imagine if I had a friend who came out as trans I would make plenty of mistakes with pronouns, etc.
05:58 PM on 01/14/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you also have a "right" to call black people the n-word, does that mean you should. do you just go around all day calling everybody what you want to call them? thinking there are no consequences? call laura tom to her face, i hope she beats the fuck out of you
Using the n word and calling Laura, Tom are WAY different! Grow the fuck up, calm down! Your argument is a bust on all angles
05:59 PM on 01/14/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a very ignorant point of view.
I really think tom would give two shits less if someone didn't call him Laura
05:59 PM on 01/14/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Using the n word and calling Laura, Tom are WAY different! Grow the fuck up, calm down! Your argument is a bust on all angles
Is your goal to just be the absolute worst poster on the site today or something?
06:03 PM on 01/14/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is your goal to just be the absolute worst poster on the site today or something?
Stop being so fucking PC! Who I'm I to judge him/her. Just saying anyone has a right to call him/her whatever name they choose depending on the time frame of the band. Chill the fuck out everyone, I don't give a shit if he wanted to change into an elephant. Not my place to judge
06:05 PM on 01/14/14
Twikki
Continuous Thunder
User Info.
Please don't refer to her as Tom. She has told us for years now what her name is, and there's no reason for the name "Tom" to be used anymore. Not trying to be rude or start anything-- just be considerate of her wishes.

AP.net needs a like function! Well said Kayla

Another thing that keeps getting to me is the use of the word 'he', thankfully the reviews i've read so far haven't made these slip ups. It's also great to see a lot of praise for such a deserving album and, in my opinion, the band's best. I know Laura played a lot of other songs that didn't make the album and would love to know if these would ever surface.
06:06 PM on 01/14/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Stop being so fucking PC! Who I'm I to judge him/her. Just saying anyone has a right to call him/her whatever name they choose depending on the time frame of the band. Chill the fuck out everyone, I don't give a shit if he wanted to change into an elephant. Not my place to judge
So that's a resounding "yes" to my question.
06:18 PM on 01/14/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So that's a resounding "yes" to my question.
whatever makes you sleep better at night
06:51 PM on 01/14/14
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Great article, really opened my eyes a lot.

One of my friend's best friend is a transgender woman and I do sometimes worry I will offend them. The other article Jason posted is definitely worth a read too.
06:53 PM on 01/14/14
jvecc8
ThatguyJoefromBoston
User Info.
I hate how every time I look at an AM! thread, there is a full blown argument regarding the proper pronouns regarding a transgendered individual. Its been discussed for a year and a half now. It is clear what she prefers to be called. It's been stated in multiple interviews. Stop dwelling on it. I am hoping for a day that people can move past what pronouns should be used and focus on the art that she, James, Atom, and Inge are making now and in the future. That is why the band is in the news ultimately; for the art it makes. By this point, people have decided whether or not they "accept" Laura's lifestyle choice. This should be a non-issue. She is living as a woman, period...As the interview states, everything that she could possibly say about the "issue" at hand is laid down on the record, which, getting to my next point, is fantastic.

I hope that people can start to discuss AM! for the art they produce... Whether it is criticism, praise, what songs you like/dislike, hell, at this point, give me the "they haven't done shit worthwhile since Reinventing Axl Rose" people. In my opinion, this album definitely holds its own and provides its own distinction both lyrically and musically. That's something that has always been attractive about AM! What's next? Each album is completely different. I love every album (save for a handful of songs from White Crosses). Each provides a certain element that keeps me listening to AM! again and again at different times of year and in different states of mind. I'd like to begin to hear peoples comments on the music. For me, Osama bin Laden as the Crucified Christ, Paralytic States, Unconditional Love and Two Coffins are songs I literally cannot stop playing. If I were to criticize the album slightly it would be the production. I don't know, its a little bit funky, especially some of the guitar tones. I may have to get used to it a bit. It's not as polished as a Butch Vig production but not a s raw as pre-New Wave stuff. I'm not sure how to describe it. Though, it definitely does not tamper the lasting effect the album has had on me. It's a great effort from beginning to end.
07:14 PM on 01/14/14
Dob
partypartyparty
User Info.
This album is so so so good. & knowing how this record took so long and there were so many hurdles in the process make me love it even more. Well done, LJ.
08:39 PM on 01/14/14
GlassyLight
King of Wrangling
User Info.
I hate how every time I look at an AM! thread, there is a full blown argument regarding the proper pronouns regarding a transgendered individual. Its been discussed for a year and a half now. It is clear what she prefers to be called. It's been stated in multiple interviews. Stop dwelling on it. I am hoping for a day that people can move past what pronouns should be used and focus on the art that she, James, Atom, and Inge are making now and in the future. That is why the band is in the news ultimately; for the art it makes. By this point, people have decided whether or not they "accept" Laura's lifestyle choice. This should be a non-issue. She is living as a woman, period...As the interview states, everything that she could possibly say about the "issue" at hand is laid down on the record, which, getting to my next point, is fantastic.

I hope that people can start to discuss AM! for the art they produce... Whether it is criticism, praise, what songs you like/dislike, hell, at this point, give me the "they haven't done shit worthwhile since Reinventing Axl Rose" people. In my opinion, this album definitely holds its own and provides its own distinction both lyrically and musically. That's something that has always been attractive about AM! What's next? Each album is completely different. I love every album (save for a handful of songs from White Crosses). Each provides a certain element that keeps me listening to AM! again and again at different times of year and in different states of mind. I'd like to begin to hear peoples comments on the music. For me, Osama bin Laden as the Crucified Christ, Paralytic States, Unconditional Love and Two Coffins are songs I literally cannot stop playing. If I were to criticize the album slightly it would be the production. I don't know, its a little bit funky, especially some of the guitar tones. I may have to get used to it a bit. It's not as polished as a Butch Vig production but not a s raw as pre-New Wave stuff. I'm not sure how to describe it. Though, it definitely does not tamper the lasting effect the album has had on me. It's a great effort from beginning to end.
What this person said.
08:54 PM on 01/14/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
I hope that people can start to discuss AM! for the art they produce... Whether it is criticism, praise, what songs you like/dislike, hell, at this point, give me the "they haven't done shit worthwhile since Reinventing Axl Rose" people. In my opinion, this album definitely holds its own and provides its own distinction both lyrically and musically. That's something that has...
Hey I'd recommend you shy away from news post's threads if you want substantial discussion. Unfortunately the front page tends to attract some of the site's worst posters. Feel free to join us in the album's official thread in general: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?p=130165261
08:56 PM on 01/14/14
Hoodrow Wilson
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you also have a "right" to call black people the n-word, does that mean you should. do you just go around all day calling everybody what you want to call them? thinking there are no consequences? call laura tom to her face, i hope she beats the fuck out of you
The word "fuck" offends me. Please do not say that word.

Am I PC'ing right?
08:58 PM on 01/14/14
jvecc8
ThatguyJoefromBoston
User Info.
Hey I'd recommend you shy away from news post's threads if you want substantial discussion. Unfortunately the front page tends to attract some of the site's worst posters. Feel free to join us in the album's official thread in general: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?p=130165261
Why thank you very much

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version