AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Against Me! News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Against Me!
Inside AP.net

Another Interview with Laura Jane Grace (Against Me!)

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/15/14)
Another new interview with Laura Jane Grace (Against Me!), this one from Bailey Lions at The Music, touches on a few topics I haven't seen written about yet. I think it's worth the read. Also, I have seen some people asking questions in the forums like, "what name should I use and when?" This little "etiquette guide" was linked in a post Laura posted on Twitter, and I think it's a really good resource for those looking to educate themselves on some questions maybe you're too afraid to ask. Read it, bookmark it, share it with others -- and most of all be open to learning and educating yourself on the topic.
Grace goes on to detail one such recent situation, the words tumbling out of her mouth as she speaks for all the parties involved. I went out to a bar in New York with a friend of mine, and were sitting down at the bar and shes trans* too and this guy came over and hes like Youre transsexuals arent you? My friend didnt really know what to say and Im all Buddy, Im the motherfucking transsexual, what do you want? He says Well at first I thought you were girls but then I thought nah those arent girls so Im all No we are girls and hes Nah you got an Adams apple and touched my throat and I was like Dude if you fucking touch me again Im gonna fucking knock your lights out and he backed the fuck off. I was lucky.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18.
01:14 PM on 01/15/14
anna a d
User Info.
great article. i'm reading up every interview with laura i can find. i came out as trans just a few months after the rolling stone article and if it hadn't been for her i don't know if i ever would have, and i probably wouldn't be here today.
01:35 PM on 01/15/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Whats the purpose of the * next to trans whenever it appears?

Really cool article. I think Laura's coming out has provided a really great learning experience for the wider punk community. Most everyone has tried to be really supportive, but interacting with/talking about trans people isn't something that a lot of us do on a regular basis and so don't even realize some of the stuff they do/say isn't actually being supportive.
01:39 PM on 01/15/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Whats the purpose of the * next to trans whenever it appears?

Really cool article. I think Laura's coming out has provided a really great learning experience for the wider punk community. Most everyone has tried to be really supportive, but interacting with/talking about trans people isn't something that a lot of us do on a regular basis and so don't even realize some of the stuff they do/say isn't actually being supportive.
It's to be inclusive.
01:40 PM on 01/15/14
Uilliam
boom, roasted
User Info.
great article. i'm reading up every interview with laura i can find. i came out as trans just a few months after the rolling stone article and if it hadn't been for her i don't know if i ever would have, and i probably wouldn't be here today.

Congrats on your courage :)
I think this album could be hugely important to a large group of people.
01:45 PM on 01/15/14
raptorz44
One Who Gets Away/NJ Success Story
User Info.
"The full band version(of Osama...Christ) kind of has this weird LA cock-rock vibe"

Hahahahaha that was my exact reaction when I first heard it.
02:06 PM on 01/15/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
02:30 PM on 01/15/14
Fun Ghoul
Peacemaker
User Info.
Our point of reference when we were recording it was always like ‘Ok, does it make you want take a bong hit?’ then we’d know it’s there,” she quips.
02:43 PM on 01/15/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
If all of this press doesn't get that record to #1, I'll be bummed. Really excited to see where this charts at.
03:07 PM on 01/15/14
Popcorn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

You know, I don't often necessarily like/agree with your comment section etiquette but I think you are hands down the best staffer (not even on this site, in general) dealing with Against Me! and/or Laura Jane Grace comments. Bravo!

---

Another thing, if you ARE wrong, and you don't know it... Don't be afraid to correct your behavior and apologize.

Anecdote: I have a F2M co-worker who I've recently been acquainted with. His transition is recent and early and he is only recently considering changing his name because it is somewhat ambiguous. I knew he was in transition but I thought it was M2F. Felt awful. Apologized, BUT did not pry into his personal life (key). One of my favorite co-workers now, and not because he is a *trans person, but because he is a person that I genuinely enjoy.

---

More on topic... It seems like the reasoning for meh engineering on this has been addressed (rushed because of setbacks in the process) but it does bum me...
04:34 PM on 01/15/14
cmccloskey
To Here Knows When
User Info.
http://nervousacid.org/post/73321901235
This has been going around. I'm sure you all have seen it.
07:07 PM on 01/15/14
risew/thefallen
i was a teenage anarchist.
User Info.
really informative. i really enjoyed the explanations of fml666 and the stories. even for a guy who is about to get married and loves everything about his fiance, these lyrics are deep and real and honestly some of the best i've heard in music in quite some time.
07:11 PM on 01/15/14
ThSceneReleases
User Info.
Am I supposed to be hearing a girls, or a guys voice with theses tracks?
07:11 PM on 01/15/14
risew/thefallen
i was a teenage anarchist.
User Info.
easily the best song Against Me! has ever performed and probably the best song Laura has ever written. My favorite AM! song by far.
08:56 PM on 01/15/14
FiendCameron
Why Didn't You Kill Yourself Today?
User Info.
Thanks for that link. And for the etiquette guide link too, cleared some questions up for me.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests