Username
Password
Yellowcard News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Yellowcard
Inside AP.net

Yellowcard Recording This Year

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/15/14)
Ryan Key (Yellowcard) talks a little about the band's current status and what their plays are for this year in an interview with the OC Weekly.
I've written more than I usually do at this stage...everyone in the band is really spread out geographically right now. Usually, Ryan, Sean and I start writing together early on, but that's kind of hard to do this time. We've talked a lot about it though, and the general consensus is we want it to be really big sounding. We want to open it up big and wide. Songs that we reference are "Be The Young" and "Only One," so more stuff like that maybe...Also, I'm not sure where I'm going to go lyrically with it, but going through this insane personal experience, I've got some big, anthemic things to say, I think. In my mind, it doesn't necessarily warrant a punk rock record or a pop punk record, but we're going to see where it takes us.

Submitted by TDenverFan

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59
05:02 PM on 01/15/14
smowashere
I am Groot.
User Info.
These guys just keep pooping out the great albums! Ever since they reunited, they've been crazy busy/hard-working. Can't wait to see what's next!
05:06 PM on 01/15/14
TDenverFan
User Info.
After their new album comes out, it'll be weird that they'll have had 3 major albums out pre hiatus, and have 3 out after it.
05:13 PM on 01/15/14
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
southern air was great
amazing even

im wanting some more heavy songs on a new album though. like between you and your denial, five becomes four, and way away
05:23 PM on 01/15/14
christophsays
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very excited! they just keep chugging along which is by no means a bad thing
05:23 PM on 01/15/14
ncarrab
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this because everyone on this site loves Yellowcard but isn't anyone getting a little sick of them yet? I mean, they come back from hiatus in late 2010 and it's only 2014 and they want to release their third album since hiatus (not to mention, two acoustic albums too). I mean, take a break or something.

I was a big Yellowcard fan before their hiatus. Wasn't really into Through Thinking and didn't even bother with Southern Air although I did catch them on their Ocean's Avenue Tour this past summer. I just feel like they're putting out too much stuff at a time and really, it all sounds the same.
05:30 PM on 01/15/14
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
User Info.
I know I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this because everyone on this site loves Yellowcard but isn't anyone getting a little sick of them yet? I mean, they come back from hiatus in late 2010 and it's only 2014 and they want to release their third album since hiatus (not to mention, two acoustic albums too). I mean, take a break or something.

I was a big Yellowcard fan before their hiatus. Wasn't really into Through Thinking and didn't even bother with Southern Air although I did catch them on their Ocean's Avenue Tour this past summer. I just feel like they're putting out too much stuff at a time and really, it all sounds the same.
The acoustic albums are the ones i don't bother with. But I loved through thinking, and southern air was ok, so I'm not sick of them.

That being said, I can't say 'big, anthemic' really excites me. Some of southern air almost felt like they were trying to hard (lyrically, mostly). I hope they don't continue down that path.
05:32 PM on 01/15/14
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
southern air was great
amazing even

im wanting some more heavy songs on a new album though. like between you and your denial, five becomes four, and way away
Agreed. Although I do like how some of their songs are heavy without being fast punk tunes. A Vicious Kind might be the heaviest song they've done to this date, in my opinion.
05:37 PM on 01/15/14
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
That's a good quote
05:39 PM on 01/15/14
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.

I wish I was still into them but I'm with you. I keep giving the last two albums shots to grow on me, but I can't get into them. They feel very generic lyrically and samey. And they were probably my favorite band around the time Lights & Sounds came out. I'll still give new stuff a listen but have no expectations really.
05:41 PM on 01/15/14
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Actually, I think WYTTSY was the perfect way to come back, and Southern Air their best album by far. I'm in love with all of the 10 songs (which never happened with previous albums) and I just don't think they can create something any better than that. But I still hope they'll surprise me with this new release.

Anyway, SA came out in August 2012, so 2014 is the right time to release another album.
05:44 PM on 01/15/14
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wish I was still into them but I'm with you. I keep giving the last two albums shots to grow on me, but I can't get into them. They feel very generic lyrically and samey. And they were probably my favorite band around the time Lights & Sounds came out. I'll still give new stuff a listen but have no expectations really.
It's strange because I think Ryan got a lot better with his lyrics compared with pre-hiatus era. I mean, we know Yellowcard is not La Dispute, but most of the lyrics on Southern Air felt fresher to me than some generic stuff on Ocean Avenue or Paper Walls.
06:14 PM on 01/15/14
ShayDe
User Info.
It's strange because I think Ryan got a lot better with his lyrics compared with pre-hiatus era. I mean, we know Yellowcard is not La Dispute, but most of the lyrics on Southern Air felt fresher to me than some generic stuff on Ocean Avenue or Paper Walls.
Agreed. I like both reunion albums Southern Air I felt was a bit too All Time Low-ey but still very good.
06:20 PM on 01/15/14
tjdohner21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just no more songs like here I am alive and I'll be 100% satisfied.
06:20 PM on 01/15/14
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
I wasn't a huge fan of Southern Air but I always look forward to new tunes from these guys.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums