Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Rdio Goes Free Too

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/16/14)
Rdio has decided to make their streaming service on the web -- free.
If you love something, set it free. Well, we couldn't agree more. So starting today Rdio is free in the U.S. on the web. That means you can listen to 20 million songs plus all the albums, playlists, and stations you love anywhere there’s a computer. Absolutely free. Our ad-free option, Rdio Unlimited, will still be available for $9.99 a month for mobile and web access. If you’re already an Rdio Unlimited subscriber, your listening experience will stay exactly the same.

Submitted by Slangster

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 52
01:53 PM on 01/16/14
microcuts82
User Info.
Conspiracy with Spotify
01:54 PM on 01/16/14
eriatarka24
User Info.
Definitely going to try this. One step further to subscribing to this instead of spotify haha
01:54 PM on 01/16/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
That was quick.
01:55 PM on 01/16/14
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
Not that surprising. Absolutely love Rdio, though. Its interface alone made it an easy choice for me over Spotify in the early goings.
01:57 PM on 01/16/14
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
Couldn't agree more with this decision. If they think they have there better product, make it even with Spotify and let the consuming public decide.
01:59 PM on 01/16/14
Helen Keller.
Moustache Cash Stash
User Info.
Not that surprising. Absolutely love Rdio, though. Its interface alone made it an easy choice for me over Spotify in the early goings.
Agreed. Spotify's shitty mobile interface and lack of student discount got me to switch. BUT, Rdio, for the love of god, give us a 320 bit rate option. That's the only thing I miss.
02:03 PM on 01/16/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
umm State Lines album art in the screenshot. thats cool
02:06 PM on 01/16/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Agreed. Spotify's shitty mobile interface and lack of student discount got me to switch. BUT, Rdio, for the love of god, give us a 320 bit rate option. That's the only thing I miss.
Most people won't be able to tell the difference between a vbr 192 and 320, as shown time and time again (here's why) in blind tests. But the cost of streaming in that rate is way higher ... so, it really doesn't make that much sense.
02:12 PM on 01/16/14
Cursethishearse
@bradleyjp
User Info.
The inability to include local files and the limited library compared to Spotify makes this kind of pointless.
02:27 PM on 01/16/14
j-dogg_69
At Full Speed
User Info.
This needs to come to the UK. Rdio's user interface is a lot better to look at than Spotify, and it seems to have more interesting ways of discovering new music, which is what I use streaming services for most. I'm not sure how the libraries compare in the UK between Rdio and Spotify, but find it very laborious to use spotify.
02:28 PM on 01/16/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Nice nice.
02:34 PM on 01/16/14
ivyleague339
User Info.
Most people won't be able to tell the difference between a vbr 192 and 320, as shown time and time again (here's why) in blind tests. But the cost of streaming in that rate is way higher ... so, it really doesn't make that much sense.
Why don't you think Rdio has allowed users to upload their personal library like Spotify? It's the only thing that I feel like Spotify has going for itself when compared to Rdio.
02:36 PM on 01/16/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Why don't you think Rdio has allowed users to upload their personal library like Spotify? It's the only thing that I feel like Spotify has going for itself when compared to Rdio.
I dunno, but I've basically stopped listening to my iTunes files unless it's an advance Rdio doesn't have (most everything else I wanna hear Rdio has) -- so it doesn't really impact me all that much. My guess is it's a licensing/storage issue?
02:41 PM on 01/16/14
ivyleague339
User Info.
I dunno, but I've basically stopped listening to my iTunes files unless it's an advance Rdio doesn't have (most everything else I wanna hear Rdio has) -- so it doesn't really impact me all that much. My guess is it's a licensing/storage issue?
That makes sense. I started using Rdio a year ago, and like you, I have hardly touched my iTunes files except for the random times I want to hear that one shitty local band I loved when I was 12.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests