Username
Password
Lawrence Arms News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Lawrence Arms
Inside AP.net

The Lawrence Arms and @Twitter References

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/21/14)
Brendan Kelly (The Lawrence Arms) has written up a new blog talking about some of the philisophies behind why they play songs, as well as addressing a few comments he's seen about the band's new album.
Two things though, real quick before I go, and these are only tangentially related to the above musings: 1) a few people have expressed disappointment in the fact that there are references to Twitter on this album. The arguments seem to be either A) thatís gonna date this record, broÖ besides, technology is kind of a faux pas in general when it comes to creating stuff of a certain caliber or B) Twitter is too stupid to sing about. But I disagree with both of these assessments and hereís why:

A) I am on twitter. You can even follow me if you want. Iím @badsandwich. Itís a part of my existence. Is Twitter gonna timestamp the record? Who fucking cares? The DATE is printed on the record. And sure, Twitter probably wonít last forever, but if you think that referencing outmoded technology is a surefire way to turn something from high quality into laughable garbage, tell it to Dostoyevsky and his novels full of old potbelly stoves and samovars. Tell it to Revenge of the Nerds and their shitty desktop computers. Tell it to Biggie and his pager. Kurt Vonnegut once said something roughly to the effect of (and Iím WILDLY paraphrasing here, so forgive me) ďleaving technology out of your books is disingenuous and lame.Ē (well, he probably said it with a tad more eloquence). And I totally agree with that. If I can write about television or cars, I can write about twitter.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
11:20 AM on 01/21/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Brendan is a good parent. He'll want his records to be at least 16 before anyone starts dating them.
11:41 AM on 01/21/14
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Ehh references like that kind of bug me. Kinda the same way anything about texting in a song annoys me, and that's been around for a long time. But I'm getting old so take that with a grain of salt, you kids and your newfangled technobabble lol.
11:51 AM on 01/21/14
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
I don't see the big deal here. Not a day goes by where you see twitter on the news. Not saying I agree with it but bitching isn't going to do anything about it. Just how America is at this day and age.

New record is killer though!
12:53 PM on 01/21/14
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
Had no idea he did a Hatesong feature. Neat. That said, I'm not sure he knows what "Shiny Happy People" is about.
02:48 PM on 01/21/14
qwerty22
we're pieces on the board
User Info.
I guess the twitter thing bothers me a little bit. When bands started including myspace references in their songs it would make me cringe, and those songs are even more hilariously bad now.

My other complaint with the lyrics is that he just seems a little too obsessed with being a horny old dude.
04:57 PM on 01/21/14
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
I guess the twitter thing bothers me a little bit. When bands started including myspace references in their songs it would make me cringe, and those songs are even more hilariously bad now.

My other complaint with the lyrics is that he just seems a little too obsessed with being a horny old dude.
But he IS a horny old dude!
05:50 PM on 01/21/14
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
Brendan rules. I've always got time to read his blog posts. Good stuff.
06:20 PM on 01/21/14
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
This record rules.
07:03 PM on 01/21/14
J.Dick
User Info.
Ehh references like that kind of bug me. Kinda the same way anything about texting in a song annoys me, and that's been around for a long time. But I'm getting old so take that with a grain of salt, you kids and your newfangled technobabble lol.

Bad Religion has songs that reference Gorbachev and that song (atomic garden) still rules. All art is created in a time and place. Doesn't really bother me.
05:30 AM on 01/22/14
PerfectChaos337
User Info.
I didn't even think people would be upset about that at all. To me, it's an entirely classic, tongue-in-cheek pop-culture referencing Lawrence Arms line. "so I write down shitty words / so I sit in titty bars / so I text and tweet and look at nudes and beat off in the dark" is one of the most classic lines on the record, I think, haha.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests