AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Yellowcard News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Ryan Key Talks Covering Tony Sly

Posted by - 09:36 PM on 01/22/14
Ryan Key of Yellowcard wrote up a little piece about covering "Already Won" for the Tony Sly tribute album.
First of all, being asked to be a part of this amazing tribute is such an honor. Tony and No Use For a Name were huge influences on all of us as musicians and songwriters. When Fat Mike contacted me about it he said he had a song in mind that he thought was right for Yellowcard, "Already Won." Recording the song was amazing. We actually did the drums during soundcheck in Salt Lake City on our fall tour last year. Recorded them right from the stage. Then when we got in the studio to do the rest of the tracks, there was such an intense energy between us all because we wanted to do something great with the song. We wanted to make Tony proud. We were also stoked about the guest vocal we were able to get for the song.

In 2002 when we got the call that NUFAN wanted us to be direct support for their whole US tour our minds were blown. Those dudes are legends to us and we just couldn't believe it. Also on the tour was The Eyeliners. The original version of "Already Won" featured background vocals from Karina Denike of Dance Hall Crashers. We thought it would be awesome to have Laura Baca from The Eyeliners come sing on ours. She did an amazing job and I think bringing us back together after all these years makes the recording that much more special.
We are in the company of some amazing artists on this compilation. Some peers, and some we've looked up to since we started playing guitar. Tony meant a lot to us as a songwriter, and I consider myself so lucky to have had the chance to know him.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
09:42 PM on 01/22/14
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
Great post, need to hear this cover.
09:56 PM on 01/22/14
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Still need to pick up a copy of this. I'm glad I checked it out though and got an insight of Tonys solo career. Wish I did it sooner.
12:27 AM on 01/23/14
tub and rug
I found a spark in the normal.
User Info.
I was at the Milwaukee date of Warped the day Tony passed away. Yellowcard canceled their acoustic set to practice a NUFAN song with Alex from ATL.
03:26 AM on 01/23/14
Blink-O
User Info.
you guys should definately pick up a copy of this... so many great covers. its an awesome tribute to tony. and yc's track is one of the best on that record.

05:19 AM on 01/23/14
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
Still need to get a copy of this too.
Sat on it for too long.
07:04 AM on 01/23/14
jonskinny12
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This tribute has some amazing tracks, and this is one of the best on there. Great post from Ryan about the song. His passing still makes me so sad, especially when I think about his family. RIP Tony.
10:50 AM on 01/23/14
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really good Tribute album. It's amazing with all those songs there are stil; a few NUFAN favourites of mine that didn't make it. I'm glad people like Ryan and Brian Fallon have shared their Tony stories since this album was released. Seems like the world lost a really great guy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos