AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 57.
08:52 AM on 01/24/14
Fox83
User Info.
I actually think the Member Ratings are spot on at the moment.

Vocally and lyrically it's fantastic. In terms of replay value and production, it's a bit lacking. I was really looking forward to this album. I'm not entirely disappointed, but I think my expectations revolved around the idea of this massive album that would be a game changer. To some degree, it's a strong effort, but it's not as memorable as I would have liked it to be. So, again, I think the member rating is pretty close to my opinion on the album.

Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.78
Lyrics 8.31
Production 6
Creativity 7.44
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.53
Average: 75%
08:59 AM on 01/24/14
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Great review
09:03 AM on 01/24/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
If there wasn't a Manchester Orchestra album coming out in two months or so, it would be pretty easy to declare that this is already the guaranteed album of the year. It probably will still end up being that for me, but we shall see.

The album is everything I had hoped it would be. One of the most important pieces of music, that has come out of this scene in a LONG time.
09:12 AM on 01/24/14
Circa1628
Long suffering Bills fan
User Info.
So, I thought that the first couple of tracks sounded really rough and poorly mixed in regards to the drums. They sounded so muddy. Did I just hear a bad stream or did other people hear that as well?
I'm with you on this. It's the only thing getting in the way of this being a perfect album, honestly. Other songs sound great from a production and mixing standpoint however, like "Paralytic States"
09:44 AM on 01/24/14
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Some good spots on the album. Overall I was disappointed.
09:44 AM on 01/24/14
LogikaX
Project Tu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So, I thought that the first couple of tracks sounded really rough and poorly mixed in regards to the drums. They sounded so muddy. Did I just hear a bad stream or did other people hear that as well?
The drums I liked and I think the drumming on this record actually elevates its rating much higher in my eyes. I did notice what you're talking about in a few songs (FML666 has a lot of recording distortion going on with the guitars and drums)

I mostly take issue with the vocals. On half of the songs it sounds like Laura is singing through a cardboard tube (True Trans Soul Rebel and FML666 being obvious offenders).

Quote:
The beautiful acoustic strum of “Dead Friends” is also the most heartbreaking song on the record

Did you mean "Two Coffins"?
10:05 AM on 01/24/14
kadeclark
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"I look forward to the day where coming out as trans* isn’t treated as a “shocking news story” and that it’s viewed as just a normal part of everyday human life."

This is an epic review of an already incredible album. As someone who couldn't agree more, I'm so glad it was written.
10:14 AM on 01/24/14
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
The drums I liked and I think the drumming on this record actually elevates its rating much higher in my eyes. I did notice what you're talking about in a few songs (FML666 has a lot of recording distortion going on with the guitars and drums)

I mostly take issue with the vocals. On half of the songs it sounds like Laura is singing through a cardboard tube (True Trans Soul Rebel and FML666 being obvious offenders).

Did you mean "Two Coffins"?
oooof yeah I did mean Two Coffins - thanks for pointing that out.
10:29 AM on 01/24/14
Lightsout911X
Expect me standing tall
User Info.
Very meh for me.
11:04 AM on 01/24/14
James_Kilgannon
User Info.
great review. I got my copy from the pre order a few weeks ago, so I've been listening pretty much non-stop. it's a very strong album. I'm seeing them tomorrow, so i'm excited.
11:46 AM on 01/24/14
surgerone
User Info.
My favorite sections of the album are the one-two punches that bookend the damn thing: Transgender Dysphoria Blues/True Trans Soul Rebel, and then Paralytic States/Black Me Out. Each song complements the next in such a cool way, it feels seamless.
11:48 AM on 01/24/14
augibudogida
daddy is home
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No man, the mixing and production on this record isn't the best. But honestly, I still love the record.
11:49 AM on 01/24/14
Chalie22
User Info.
This is way better than the last two records. I really dig the middle tracks (6,7, and 8) which I think are the strongest off the record.
11:58 AM on 01/24/14
Circa1628
Long suffering Bills fan
User Info.
This is way better than the last two records. I really dig the middle tracks (6,7, and 8) which I think are the strongest off the record.
Add Paralytic States to that and I'll agree. Honestly FML666-End is the strongest part of the record, in my opinion.
11:58 AM on 01/24/14
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
This album's fantastic. One of the first truly great records of 2014.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums