Password

Album Review
Carlos Danger - The Fire Swamp EP Album Cover

Carlos Danger - The Fire Swamp EP

Reviewed by
Carlos Danger - The Fire Swamp EP
Release Date: January 9, 2014
Record Label: Saint Elsewhere
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Yeah, I guess you could call Carlos Danger a supergroup. It’s made of up members of scene favorites like Taking Back Sunday (Mark O’Connell, drums) and The Movielife (Alex Amiruddin, guitar). As one would expect, the band’s debut EP is a concise exercise in pop-punk, done as only heavyweights like these could do.

Things kick off with “Anticipation,” a fast, catchy track that harkens back to TBS’ Where You Want to Be days. It’s built around a massive hook and catchy riffs, laying out a framework for three following songs. “Funeral” is a classic pop-punk cut, featuring subdued vocals. The song relies less on them and more on O’Connell’s great drum work. Really, he excels throughout the whole release. He leads “Lost” in as “Funeral” fades out with a barrage of hits before making way for the EP’s most infectious hook. Try though you might, there’s no way to get Sam Hoyos’ voice shouting, “Lost, right from the start,” out of your head. The heaviest song presented is “Remember,” which starts off sounding almost like a melodic hardcore song before settling into a more melodic verse. It’s probably the most straightforward track on the EP, but it’s a fun one nonetheless.

Carlos Danger’s made up of pros, and it shows. (Sorry.) The Fire Swamp EP is an outstanding release, and in less than fourteen minutes a perfect introduction to their brand of musical goodness. Tis just what you’d want from the genre.

Recommended If You LikeThe Movielife’s Has a Gambling Problem EP; The Story So Far’s Under Soil and Dirt; Rufio’s Perhaps, I Suppose

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
06:03 PM on 01/24/14
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Nice last sentence.
06:10 PM on 01/24/14
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Haha, thanks Ryan.
12:07 PM on 01/25/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I've had trouble getting into this, but then again listening to this EP is sort of a departure for me in the first place.
12:31 PM on 01/25/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
I've had trouble getting into this, but then again listening to this EP is sort of a departure for me in the first place.
Based on the things I know you like, this doesn't really seem like something you'd be into, haha.
02:01 PM on 01/25/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Based on the things I know you like, this doesn't really seem like something you'd be into, haha.
Agreed! Haha.
03:53 PM on 01/25/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.

At least you gave it a chance!
10:43 AM on 01/26/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
At least you gave it a chance!
Mmhm. Your turn! Go listen to a Willie Nelson record!
10:43 AM on 01/26/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Mmhm. Your turn! Go listen to a Willie Nelson record!

Will do! What's your favorite one?
11:00 AM on 01/26/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Will do! What's your favorite one?
1982's Always On My Mind. You'll recognize a handful of songs on there. Willie was not blessed with the world's best voice, but if you can find a way to love it, boo-ya!
01:00 PM on 01/26/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
1982's Always On My Mind. You'll recognize a handful of songs on there. Willie was not blessed with the world's best voice, but if you can find a way to love it, boo-ya!
Definitely knew Bridge Over Troubled Water and A Whiter Shade of Pale - had no idea that was his song. I'm reallly surprised you pointed out his voice as not very good, I think it's fantastic. My favorite song was probably the title track. Good recommendation!
10:38 AM on 01/27/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Definitely knew Bridge Over Troubled Water and A Whiter Shade of Pale - had no idea that was his song. I'm reallly surprised you pointed out his voice as not very good, I think it's fantastic. My favorite song was probably the title track. Good recommendation!
A Whiter Shade of Pale is actually a Procol Harum song. They're a British rock band. Willie was just trying to cover it because it was current at the time. Anyone that can appreciate Willie's voice is a winner in my book. To many he is an acquired taste, so I was just warning you. Glad you dug it. That is awesome!
10:42 AM on 01/27/14
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
A Whiter Shade of Pale is actually a Procol Harum song. They're a British rock band. Willie was just trying to cover it because it was current at the time. Anyone that can appreciate Willie's voice is a winner in my book. To many he is an acquired taste, so I was just warning you. Glad you dug it. That is awesome!

Ohhh. I was familiar with the Annie Lennox version. I will be listening to more Willie Nelson in the future!
12:43 PM on 01/27/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Ohhh. I was familiar with the Annie Lennox version. I will be listening to more Willie Nelson in the future!
Day = made.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version