AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
You Me At Six - Cavalier Youth Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.21
Musicianship 6.46
Lyrics 6.64
Production 6.75
Creativity 6.32
Lasting Value 6.43
Reviewer Tilt 6.61
Average: 66%
Inside AP.net

You Me At Six - Cavalier Youth

Reviewed by: Jack Appleby (01/28/14)
You Me At Six Cavalier Youth
Record Label: Virgin Records / Prospect Park Records
Release Date: January 28, 2014

Every album doesn't need to be a quantum leap. Once a band's locked into a future-proof, working sound, it's time to tinker - not reinvent. You Me At Six did the heavy lifting with 2011's Sinners Never Sleep, expanding their polished pop-punk to wider rock in their best record to date. With that proverbial artistic leap out of the way, the Brit Quintet focused on rounding out the edges with Cavalier Youth, the full realization of a band meant to shine.

Whereas Sinners... felt transitional, Cavalier Youth feels thorough; these tracks are freshly waxed and radio-ready. The pop-punk roots reveal themselves from time to time, but the sound's transitioned further towards anthemic rock, opting to balance ripping riffs with pop sensibilities. That's not to say they've lost their edge - powerful rockers like "Room To Breathe" and "Love Me Like You Used To" are sure to be album favorites - but that roughness is now used in moderation. Good thing, too, since their best work showcases that newfound brightness. Opener "Too Young To Feel This Old" is a prime example, a record standout with a steady build too refined for Sinners Never Sleep, but gorgeous on Cavalier Youth. Ballads like "Be Who You Are" further the contrast, leaning more Goo Goo Dolls than All Time Low (again, in the best way possible - this is the direction the band was meant for). The subtlety of these shifts should be commended, rowing You Me At Six onward without disturbing what fans love about their sound.

Josh Francheschi has always been the band's star, though the vocalist has elevated to another level in the new stuff. The belted choruses of former albums were stellar, though felt as if Francheschi was trying to win us over; his performances across Cavalier Youth are deftly confident, demonstrating a frontman worthy of industry-wide praise. More breaks in the music allow the singer to deliver career-defining moments with great frequency, a credit to smart songwriting from the band and wonderful production via Neal Avron. The full package is beautifully wrapped by You Me At Six's cohesiveness, always feeling full-band and never feeling like a Francheschi springboard.

It's going to be all preference for fans, who could revel in Cavalier Youth's refinement or prefer Sinners Never Sleeps' excitement. Both are top-notch records, serving important roles in the course of You Me At Six - but I'll take the new album by a hair.

8/10

Recommended If You LikeParamore's Brand New Eyes, Go Radio's Close The Distance, Phenomenal Vocalists

Additional InformationTracklist:
1. Too Young To Feel This Old
2. Lived A Lie
3. Fresh Start Fever
4. Forgive and Forget
5. Room To Breathe
6. Win Some, Lose Some
7. Cold Night
8. Hope For The Best
9. Love Me Like You Used To
10. Be Who You Are
11. Carpe Diem
12. Wild Ones

Official Facebook | Official Twitter | iTunes Link | Rdio Stream

If you enjoyed this review, feel free to follow me on Twitter - pretty much every tweet is music-related, and I love chatting about records.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
04:59 AM on 01/28/14
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
Great review, Jack. It looks like I need to give Sinners Never Sleep another chance though.

I was listening to this record with a friend and I think he said something along the lines of "It's an album not suited to headphones, it's needs to be heard out loud"
04:59 AM on 01/28/14
jings
User Info.
Great review, I can't wait for this release!
05:56 AM on 01/28/14
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
I might actually check this out now
06:01 AM on 01/28/14
caraballo
Gnarkill
User Info.
Great review! Exactly how I felt about the album
06:29 AM on 01/28/14
Alex Pates
Hi...
User Info.
I was way bigger on this band heading from Hold Me Down into Sinners Never Sleep. Not so much these days. May give this a proper listen at some point
06:35 AM on 01/28/14
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
I was not into Sinners Never Sleep. It was too rock focused for me, but the RIYL for this album has made me slightly interested in this one.
07:11 AM on 01/28/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
this album is so good!!! people really need to check this out
07:19 AM on 01/28/14
pepster50
User Info.
Didn't even know this album was coming out so soon. Can't wait to hear it
07:57 AM on 01/28/14
kizwiz
Kizwiz
User Info.
Can't believe how high people are rating this album. I was immensely disappointed in it. It just completely sounds of filler stadium-rock wannabe songs, i.e. chanting "we are believers, we are believers..", seriously? I even expressed my distaste for the recent singles on the video's YouTube comments and got over 20+ likes - videos that would surely be plagued by fan-girls rather than disappointed fans, right?

This is what I'm talking about:
'Cavalier Youth feels thorough; these tracks are freshly waxed and radio-ready.' / '... but the sound's transitioned further towards anthemic rock, opting to balance ripping riffs with pop sensibilities'

..yep, and it sounds shit.
07:58 AM on 01/28/14
stopshootrepeat
Pro Slacker
User Info.
The RIYL seems so off to me. Great review, although I don't entirely agree that Josh is a 'phenomenal vocalist.
08:04 AM on 01/28/14
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't believe how high people are rating this album. I was immensely disappointed in it. It just completely sounds of filler stadium-rock wannabe songs, i.e. chanting "we are believers, we are believers..", seriously? I even expressed my distaste for the recent singles on the video's YouTube comments and got over 20+ likes - videos that would surely be plagued by fan-girls rather than disappointed fans, right?

This is what I'm talking about:
'Cavalier Youth feels thorough; these tracks are freshly waxed and radio-ready.' / '... but the sound's transitioned further towards anthemic rock, opting to balance ripping riffs with pop sensibilities'

..yep, and it sounds shit.
1. That 'We Are Believers' snare chant is easily the worst moment on the record.
2. If you don't like a certain style of music, why are you surprised you don't like this?
3. I never thought I'd see the day YouTube comments were offered as some sort of validation.
08:10 AM on 01/28/14
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was not into Sinners Never Sleep. It was too rock focused for me, but the RIYL for this album has made me slightly interested in this one.
The RIYL seems so off to me. Great review, although I don't entirely agree that Josh is a 'phenomenal vocalist.
Probably should have explained the RIYL more. The move from SNS to Cavalier Youth reminds me of Brand New Eyes to Paramore, or Lucky Street to Close The Distance.
08:20 AM on 01/28/14
SlyZ
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is terrible.
08:30 AM on 01/28/14
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is terrible.
Nu uh.