AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Katy Perry - One of the Boys Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 3.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 2.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 54%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.15
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 5.8
Production 7.35
Creativity 6.45
Lasting Value 6.1
Reviewer Tilt 7.4
Average: 67%
Inside AP.net

Katy Perry - One of the Boys

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (06/24/08)
Katy Perry - One of the Boys
Record Label: Capitol Records
Release Date: June 17, 2008

While you can't go wrong with a little hot lesbian action, when you're writing lyrics like "I kissed a girl and I liked it" to get attention, it probably says a lot about your music. It's really quite astonishing how much buzz has surrounded the song "I Kissed a Girl," not only on the web and pop radio, but also within the indie community, which normally shuns novelty nonsense, and even modern rock radio. From the get go, it has all the makings of yet another huge summer one-hit-wonder. So, does One Of The Boys contain anything redeeming that would prevent this from becoming a reality? It's hard to say, but judging from the album as a whole, it doesn't seem as though Katy Perry has any intentions of ever being considered a serious artist or songwriter.

The highly danceable "Hot N Cold" could very well be a hit single. It's actually much catchier than the current single, but in comparison, the lyrics of "I Kissed a Girl" are damn near Shakespearean. This is the actual chorus of "Hot N Cold" (you can't make this stuff up): "You're hot then you're cold / You're yes then you're no / You're in then you're out / You're up then you're down / You're wrong when it's right / It's black and it's white / We fight, we break up / We kiss, we make up."

Caution is advised when listening to this song: one listen could very well get it stuck in your head for the rest of your life. And frankly ... you really don't want this stuck in your head for the rest of your life.

"Waking Up in Vegas" and "If You Can Afford Me" are reasonably good mid-tempo tunes. The melodies are memorable, but not annoyingly catchy, and while they're nothing special lyrically, they're not offensively dumb. The best track is probably the ballad, "Thinking of You." The subject matter is nothing new ("When I'm with him, I'm thinking of you"), and it's been featured on MTV's The Hills, but at least it sounds like it's inspired by something other than the desire to push units. It also showcases that Perry can actually sing and it's a good pop melody.

Katy Perry's music has been billed as mall-punk and riot-grrl, but it's actually a far cry from either. Releasing a record full of pop radio candy actually makes her somewhat of an anti-punk. The point is: Don't get caught up in the hype. This is neither a punk record (or a rock record at all, for that matter), nor is it a particularly good pop record. Like flavors-of-the-week from years past, Katy Perry might be "livin' la vida loca" for the moment, but next year, One Of The Boys will be collecting dust in the dollar bins.

Recommended if You LikeMichelle Branch, Natasha Bedingfield, Madonna

myspace.com/katyperry

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:12 AM on 06/27/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review. I actually really enjoy this as a fun pop record. Sure the lyrics are bad, but I could care less. They are on par with alot of the pop punk type stuff thats popular on here. Your right that this is mainstream pop and has no Indie ties whatsover. I guess that could be a turn off to some people on here. Some people will say they love it but its a guilty pleasure. I don't have guilty pleasures but enjoy the music I like no matter if people laugh. Overall its comparable to Lily Allen or Kate Nash except that Katy's American. I hope to see here on Warped Tour.
08:55 AM on 06/27/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
how could you not put lilly allen in the RIYL
04:34 PM on 06/29/08
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
I actually really liked this album. It's kind of my guilty pleasure XD Every song is pretty much good though. "I Kissed A Girl" is really catchy, but there is much more better songs like, (the best song on the record) "Hot N Cold" and "If You Can Afford Me" and "Waking Up In Vegas". Good review though, I agree on most of it.
04:29 AM on 06/30/08
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Bang katy perry I would. Listen to her? Never.
12:26 PM on 07/03/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I really enjoy this album. Guilty Pleasure of 08.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums