AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Introducing: AbsolutePlaylist

Posted by - 11:04 AM on 01/31/14
Today we're very proud to announce a brand new feature which, for the time being, we're calling AbsolutePlaylist. We're going to be posting a 1 hour playlist every Friday starting off with our very own staff members. This week, we're featuring my own playlist: From 24 to 12: A Playlist to my Past where I put together a collection of songs I would send to my 12 year old self. Check out the playlist, and my track by track commentary in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
11:05 AM on 01/31/14
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
From 24 to 12: A Playlist to My Past

Click here to listen!

Rdio was missing 4 of the tracks, so I recommend using Spotify for this!

Tracklisting1. Captives Come Home - Run Kid Run
2. Losing Touch - Pinsky
3. Always - The Boxer Rebellion
4. Not Out - Greg Laswell
5. You Ruined Tennessee - Eric Skelton (Spotify only)
6. To Cut A Short Story Shorter - The Auteur (Spotify only)
7. Hopeless Romantic - Late Night Habit
8. Lonesome Dreams - Lord Huron
9. Land of the Bloody Unknown - The Middle East
10. Hold On - Soletta
11. Rescue - Yuna
12. I Can Lift a Car - Walk the Moon
13. Streets of Gold - The Canvas Waiting (Spotify only)
14. Can't Change Your Mind - Matthew Mayfield (Spotify only)
15. Nitrous Gas - Frightened Rabbit
16. Night Winds - Geographer

Pop will always be at the center of my musical core. I grew up with Hansen, the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears, and at that time I probably thought that I'd be listening to them for the rest of my life. TRL and the top 9 at 9 on wPST were everything to me. Music has come along way. Buckle up 12 year old me.

As I'm waiting for the world to end, I'm clinging on to oxygen.

Run Kid Run has one of the most solid discographies that I've ever come across. Three albums, and not a single hiccup on any of them. 2008's Love at the Core has become one of my most beloved albums of all time, and I had to include the soaring "Captives Come Home." It starts this playlist off perfectly.

I discovered Pinsky in 2012, and "Losing Touch" quickly became my favorite track from that year. Good luck shaking that guitar riff from your head, and don't say I didn't warn you when the song travels into one of the most enjoyable bridges that you've ever heard.

I never hear enough about London's The Boxer Rebellion. Their phenomenal 2009 release Union became my introduction to the band and, after a couple of years, I decided to listen to 2013's Promises. "Always" is just a little taste of some of the fantastic tracks from that album, which came in at #3 on my end of the year list.

Greg Laswell's Three Flights from Alto Nido, which I discovered last year, has become one of my favorite releases of all time. When the song starts to transform and Laswell breaks into "And I am sure that I am tangled up in things / you said out loud to me / so recklessly," its something that resonated with me and still does to this day.

I don't really know this place. It's lonesome here in the wide open space.

I discovered Eric Skelton through his other band, Marry a Thief. Their version of "Every Little Star" remains to this day as one my favorite songs of all time. His music has stuck with me throughout the years, which is why "You Ruined Tennessee" made the cut. I'm not sure what he's up to these days, but I hope he's still making music.

"To Cut a Story Shorter" is a guitar-driven joyride performed by the short lived band, The Auteur. The way the chorus begins with that little drum roll, is like the second before a dam opens up. Then the bridge comes in with the crowd vocals; forget about it. This is the unbridled pop-punk that I'd love to see more of in this day and age.

Possibly the closest amalgamation to what I enjoy so much about pop music, Late Night Habit's "Hopeless Romantic" fell onto my ears through Spotify Radio in November of 2012. With a chorus fit to move mountains, and a bridge that just... man I don't even know; the vocals just explode and bleed with passion.

I nabbed "Ends of the Earth" by Lord Huron from a commercial the day before I left for a trip to Punta Cana. Lonesome Dreams was a perfect soundtrack for that vacation. I fell asleep to this album on the beach right after a sunrise one morning. This album will always hold a special place for me, which is why I included the title track on this playlist.

There's more to this than what you see through vacant eyes

I came across The Middle East's stand out track "Blood" a couple of years ago. I quickly went through their other songs and found a track equally as moving, "The Land of the Bloody Unknown."

Philly natives Soletta came across my ears in 2012 and their EP The Road Back Home just blew me away. "Hold On" is another one of those pop songs, where you can just put it on and forget everything around you. It's not often when a song can heighten my state of being, but "Hold On" still does that for me.

Yuna is a brand new and very welcome addition to my ears. "Rescue" is better than any pop song on the radio these days, and deserves more attention.

As explored further in my review, I discovered Walk the Moon while in Rocky Mountain National Park. Although their eponymous full length is loaded with favorites, no song hit me harder than "I Can Lift a Car.'

You came forward on the shoulders of giant waves pulled from corners.

The Canvas Waiting was another Spotify radio band. I love everything about this song. Nathan Medina delivers a strong chorus with: "I've spent all of my life / trying to somehow make sense / of a world I could never explain."

Easily one of my top discoveries of the past two years, Matthew Mayfield's impressive discography has been a welcome addition to my collection. I was lucky enough to interview Matthew for two reviews last year. "Can't Change My Mind" excels in every possible way, and is a great introduction if you're new to Matthew.

Pedestrian Verse by Frightened Rabbit was my album of the year for 2013. "Nitrous Gas" had me hooked from the second I heard the guitar riff in the beginning. Give it a listen; it'll hook you too.

Just by hance, I discovered "Night Winds" by Geographer a few days ago. It's a longer song, but beautiful nonetheless. I think its interesting how much luck goes into discovering music. I've found myself many times straining my ears and using Shazam in a mall or restaurant. There are times when I've let a catchy song go, or have failed to identify it. It feels like dropping your watch into an ocean.

Well there it is! I greatly look forward to what I'll be listening to when I'm 36.
11:41 AM on 01/31/14
AlexJLow
User Info.
I really loved that Soletta EP when it came out, especially this road. Shame they seem to have disappeared.
12:02 PM on 01/31/14
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
I was so pleasantly surprised to see Pinsky on this playlist!
12:05 PM on 01/31/14
Fourchordwonder
This is for dreaming.
User Info.
Awesome to see some Run Kid Run love on here. That band put on a great live show every time I saw them.
12:25 PM on 01/31/14
Mikeallover
User Info.
Damn I forgot about Soletta. What happened to them? Their EP is great.
01:35 PM on 01/31/14
shoreacresdrive
One man acoustic punk
User Info.
Awesome playlist! 'I Can Lift A Car' is such a great track.
02:00 PM on 01/31/14
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I really loved that Soletta EP when it came out, especially this road. Shame they seem to have disappeared.
Damn I forgot about Soletta. What happened to them? Their EP is great.
They broke up for a while but are back together under the name The Skylife, which was their name at some point before they broke up too (https://www.facebook.com/TheSkylifePA)
02:21 PM on 01/31/14
pepster50
User Info.
Yes !!! Somebody else loves Run Kid Run as much as I do lol
02:32 PM on 01/31/14
starsinhand
User Info.
Seeing Lord Huron and Night Beds in Philly next week, Lonesome Dreams is a great great album
02:38 PM on 01/31/14
shafterdoug
User Info.
Having fun with this playlist. Thanks Anthony!
02:49 PM on 01/31/14
Frinet
run
User Info.
Lord Huron is the perfect soundtrack to all things stargazing, sunset watching, and general nature enjoying.
03:49 PM on 01/31/14
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
If you keep doing this in the future it'd be awesome if you created the playlist on both platforms (rdio and spotify) even if some of the tracks are missing (just leave them out I guess then).

Call me an asshole or whatever, but it's ARTIST - SONG, not the other way around. I can't help it, it just irks me. Sorry.
05:48 PM on 01/31/14
fallingapart101
fallingapart1016
User Info.
Yes to Run Kid Run! Wish these guys would put out a new album, but I don't know...

Great guys to tour with and Patterns was just amazing, Tooth And Nail dropped the ball on that one...
08:49 PM on 01/31/14
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
If you keep doing this in the future it'd be awesome if you created the playlist on both platforms (rdio and spotify) even if some of the tracks are missing (just leave them out I guess then).

Call me an asshole or whatever, but it's ARTIST - SONG, not the other way around. I can't help it, it just irks me. Sorry.
I do have both. We just can't embed the Spotify one :/

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version