AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Green Day News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Green Day's "Dookie" Turns 20

Posted by - 07:27 AM on 02/01/14
Green Day's Dookie was released 20 years ago today. Do you remember the first time you heard it? Discuss the seminal album in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55
07:32 AM on 02/01/14
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
My older brother's friend brought over a Dookie cassette to listen to while we played baseball or football in my front yard when I was around 8. I remember thinking it was cool because it was unlike anything I had heard, but I didn't really get into the album until I was in middle school. As a fan of Blink and The Offspring - two bands who may have never found success without Dookie - it was an easy stepping stone.
07:32 AM on 02/01/14
xdrummerxdudex
i am a legend
User Info.
I bought that album when I was 6 years old. Not only is it my favorite album of all time, but they're the reason I started playing music.
07:36 AM on 02/01/14
antiradio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this cd got me into punk for sure - i was 14 at the time. will have to listen today
07:36 AM on 02/01/14
kidblink
User Info.
i was 9 years old. had it on cassette and cd. no album has brought more joy in my life as a child.
07:43 AM on 02/01/14
bigcoaster95
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I got it for my 10th bday in 2005. American idiot fascinated me with the band so I dove into the earlier work and it was amazing. But due to my age American Idiot was what dookie was to a lot of you guys.
08:11 AM on 02/01/14
Paris1nFlames
User Info.
I first heard basket case during the promotion of Angus (Iwas in 5th grade) , and knew immediately this was something different and awesome.... I then recorded the tape from a friend and was fascinated by the lyrics, especially considering I didn't understand quite a few... My parents weren't too thrilled when I asked them what a whore was. Haha
08:27 AM on 02/01/14
Amongster
Take A Deep Breath
User Info.
My first CD. I remember asking for it when I was 7 years old and receiving it that Christmas. I immediately learned and sang along to all the lyrics, which my mom didn't appreciate as soon as she overheard me.
08:37 AM on 02/01/14
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
I discovered Dookie through my elementary school best friend's older brother who was in college. We went through his CDs one day and Dookie completely blew me away. I remember Emenius Sleepus being my favorite.

I bought it the very next day, the first CD I ever bought. Green Day was my favorite band until I was 16 or so and started browsing AP.net every day.
08:38 AM on 02/01/14
JGG
User Info.
Got American Idiot when I was a kid, decided to check out the rest of the catalogue, this one never really stuck with me.
Awesome Dookie story. Oh, I always used to chuckle at the dog throwing his own poop.
08:46 AM on 02/01/14
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
Liked American Idiot when I was 13. My therapist told me I'd also like Dookie.
08:46 AM on 02/01/14
Cornerb0y
Load"*",8,1
User Info.
I remember my sister had got the cassette when I was 10, not too long after the album had come out. The first time I heard it, I fell in love, and could NOT stop listening. I had to own all the Green Day albums. I recorded a copy of Dookie for myself after my sister got pissed I would take it all the time. That album had such a huge impact in my life. I was known in middle school for being a huge fanatic about them. My first concert (that wasn't local bands) was Warped Tour 2000 (I was into punk at this point, but I was going mostly for Green Day). Once American Idiot came out, that was when I decided it was time to part ways with the band, while the album had some good tracks, it was just too political for my taste. Kerplunk!, Nimrod, and Dookie are my top 3 albums by Green Day easily.

P.S. Having a Blast is the best song on that album.
09:02 AM on 02/01/14
ARo2431
User Info.
One of the first cassettes I ever had. I still have it too. Will always be one of my favorite albums.
09:52 AM on 02/01/14
BlinkAvAfan21
She calls it a mayonegg.
User Info.
I discovered Green Day with American Idiot when I was 15 and 2 years later gave a shot to all their albums while doing a paper on alternatif rock music for school. I had heard the singles and some other songs but never bothered to listen as a whole. I was suprised by the quality of each song and understood why it was regarded as a masterpiece. I still find Warning and American Idiot to be better, though.
09:54 AM on 02/01/14
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
My older brother's friend brought over a Dookie cassette to listen to while we played baseball or football in my front yard when I was around 8. I remember thinking it was cool because it was unlike anything I had heard, but I didn't really get into the album until I was in middle school. As a fan of Blink and The Offspring - two bands who may have never found success without Dookie - it was an easy stepping stone.

haha, honestly,...who hasn't played backyard football on a hot summer day without dookie blasting on full loud

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos