Username
Password
Kanye West News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Kanye West
Inside AP.net

The Oral History Of "The College Dropout"

Posted by: Ryan Dennehy (02/07/14)
In celebration of its upcoming tenth anniversary on February 10th, Billboard has an oral history of Kanye West's The College Dropout featuring pretty much everyone involved in making the album. Does the album mean anything to you? Come chat about it in the replies.

Submitted by Steve_JustAGuy

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
05:17 AM on 02/07/14
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
The first album I ever bought.

Long Live Yeezy.
05:43 AM on 02/07/14
ThaRealNC
User Info.
I was a huge fan of hip hop when I was growing up - A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Wu Tang. As I got older and the genre started to cross over, I became pretty disillusioned with a lot of it. I'll always remember this guy that co-hosted a radio show in college with me walking in and handing me this CD and saying "You should listen to this. It sounds like that weird stuff you listen to." To this day, I have no idea what that meant, but I'm glad he made me listen. This album single-handedly kept my love of hip hop alive. It's a classic, for sure.

Okay, I'll shut up now.
05:54 AM on 02/07/14
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I never knew he went by Kanye The Influence.

I'm still reading but I've always wondered about all these meetings. Like I get No I.D. started somewhere too but someone like Kanye doesn't just know No I.D. out of nowhere so it's really cool reading this and finding out.
06:08 AM on 02/07/14
Ryan Dennehy
I never knew he went by Kanye The Influence.

I'm still reading but I've always wondered about all these meetings. Like I get No I.D. started somewhere too but someone like Kanye doesn't just know No I.D. out of nowhere so it's really cool reading this and finding out.
yeah i had no idea either. interesting choice.

this is a cool read to keep me busy this morning
06:50 AM on 02/07/14
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
"You had the guy walking in to label meetings and telling people, ‘I’m going to be bigger than Jermaine Dupri.’ This is an exact quote he said to Michael Mauldin, Jermaine Dupri’s father."

Hahahahaha amazing
06:52 AM on 02/07/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
This and Illmatic are my two fav hip-hop records probably. Good week for me. Will definitely check this out.
07:04 AM on 02/07/14
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
yeah i had no idea either. interesting choice.

this is a cool read to keep me busy this morning
I guess this goes full circle back to the conversation years ago in the GKMC thread, but in this they were talking about how they already knew The College Dropout was a classic right when it dropped. Do you think that's possible? I'm not saying GKMC is a classic, it was important but I digress. I sit here and wonder what it would take to have another album drop with the impact of The College Dropout. Then I instantly think 808s. I dunno. My train of thought is going off now haha.
07:07 AM on 02/07/14
Ryan Dennehy
I guess this goes full circle back to the conversation years ago in the GKMC thread, but in this they were talking about how they already knew The College Dropout was a classic right when it dropped. Do you think that's possible? I'm not saying GKMC is a classic, it was important but I digress. I sit here and wonder what it would take to have another album drop with the impact of The College Dropout. Then I instantly think 808s. I dunno. My train of thought is going off now haha.
i honestly think TCD would have been a much more clear example of "instant classic." like they say, it basically was him inventing his own lane, separating himself from the pack, etc. kendrick's is great but its not like smashing genre expectations and constraints the way tcd did. honestly tcd is such a seminal album in the way it broke down those things its gonna be fucking hard to do it ever again, and 808s is definitely the closest you can get, maybe even yeezus too. but the innovation and change brought to the genre is hard to replicate ten years on
07:14 AM on 02/07/14
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
i honestly think TCD would have been a much more clear example of "instant classic." like they say, it basically was him inventing his own lane, separating himself from the pack, etc. kendrick's is great but its not like smashing genre expectations and constraints the way tcd did. honestly tcd is such a seminal album in the way it broke down those things its gonna be fucking hard to do it ever again, and 808s is definitely the closest you can get, maybe even yeezus too. but the innovation and change brought to the genre is hard to replicate ten years on
I agree entirely on both of those. I know Yeezus isn't looked at in that sense right now but I see it for sure. But again, those are just the closest it gets to TCD, not necessarily the same instantaneous transformation into a classic, I agree on that for sure.

It's interesting seeing how much emphasis people put on pre-accident and post-accident and makes me wonder if it really takes any intelligence to be a "conscious rapper". Not saying Kanye is unintelligent, of course, he's a genius, but thinking about his transition into consciousness, it's all stuff every human being deals with. Everything in Spaceship, All Falls Down, Jesus Walks, etc. It reminds me of that Damien Hirst argument "Anyone can make that" "Well did you?" It's genius in the sense that while it's extremely relate-able and someone else should've thought of it by now, no one did it. And it makes me wonder if a rapper like 2 Chainz could make a "conscious" album (not that he'd necessarily want to and that's okay).
07:20 AM on 02/07/14
Ryan Dennehy
I agree entirely on both of those. I know Yeezus isn't looked at in that sense right now but I see it for sure. But again, those are just the closest it gets to TCD, not necessarily the same instantaneous transformation into a classic, I agree on that for sure.

It's interesting seeing how much emphasis people put on pre-accident and post-accident and makes me wonder if it really takes any intelligence to be a "conscious rapper". Not saying Kanye is unintelligent, of course, he's a genius, but thinking about his transition into consciousness, it's all stuff every human being deals with. Everything in Spaceship, All Falls Down, Jesus Walks, etc. It reminds me of that Damien Hirst argument "Anyone can make that" "Well did you?" It's genius in the sense that while it's extremely relate-able and someone else should've thought of it by now, no one did it. And it makes me wonder if a rapper like 2 Chainz could make a "conscious" album (not that he'd necessarily want to and that's okay).
a 2 chainz conscious album would be nuts lol

i dunno i think "conscious" is like a super derogatory way of phrasing it to be honest, like even the gangster shit is "real" shit or whatever. that got talked about in the gkmc thread too i think. how there's this weird division (or was) between "conscious" or not. i think the genius in kanye, at least for TCD, is the fact that its so glaringly obvious that people would like this shit. its just so simple and its one of those "oh, duh. this is a void we didn't know we needed filled." i was rereading some reviews of the xx record and thats how they described the first one and i think it applies just as well to TCD. idk im rambling but im with you on the fact that kanye just figured out exactly what needed to be said and did it and like anyone could have said it. i think his style/persona/method is what made it the perfect cocktail though, like if 2 chainz made a "conscious" record at the same time as TCD it wouldnt have had the same effect because it wouldnt have been this all-fronts assault
07:27 AM on 02/07/14
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
a 2 chainz conscious album would be nuts lol

i dunno i think "conscious" is like a super derogatory way of phrasing it to be honest, like even the gangster shit is "real" shit or whatever. that got talked about in the gkmc thread too i think. how there's this weird division (or was) between "conscious" or not. i think the genius in kanye, at least for TCD, is the fact that its so glaringly obvious that people would like this shit. its just so simple and its one of those "oh, duh. this is a void we didn't know we needed filled." i was rereading some reviews of the xx record and thats how they described the first one and i think it applies just as well to TCD. idk im rambling but im with you on the fact that kanye just figured out exactly what needed to be said and did it and like anyone could have said it. i think his style/persona/method is what made it the perfect cocktail though, like if 2 chainz made a "conscious" record at the same time as TCD it wouldnt have had the same effect because it wouldnt have been this all-fronts assault
Yeah I get what you're saying and I agree. It's almost ignorant to say gangster rapping isn't "conscious" just because it's an acknowledgement of a lack of understanding because of a closed mind. I don't think those records would do anything if there weren't people who understood what was going on and related to them as much as some of us can relate to Kanye. But Kanye did completely nail it in a way that I'm not sure many others ever could, just because of the surreal yet simultaneously understandable life experiences he's had.
07:35 AM on 02/07/14
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
One of the greatest albums of all time. Look forward to reading this.
07:37 AM on 02/07/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Compare Kanye's past ten years musically to 50 Cent's. That's crazy stuff, not sure many people would have seen that coming.
08:25 AM on 02/07/14
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
My favorite Kanye album. And probably in my top 10 favorite hip hop albums of all time.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums