AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Lawrence Arms News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

So, You Want to Be in a Band?

Posted by - 04:19 PM on 02/07/14
Brendan Kelly's latest blog is for all aspiring musicians out there.
Get out there and play as soon and as often as possible, because you’ll never be good until you start figuring out what you really sound like, and the only way to do that is to watch strangers, who don’t give a fuck about your feelings, get bored and walk away during your long, meticulous intro or guitar solo. Comedians talk a lot about how the only way to get good at standup is to bomb, and the same goes for playing rock and roll. Until you’ve tried ‘em out on other people, chances are, you THINK your ideas are way cooler than they are. Playing in front of people will slap your blinders off fast. The best crash course in songwriting is to watch the crowd when your band still sucks. That being said…

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
05:11 PM on 02/07/14
RHCP43
User Info.
Awesome. Great read.
05:26 PM on 02/07/14
xBranx
Brandon Pagano / Handguns
User Info.
So accurate. Great read.
06:35 PM on 02/07/14
tub and rug
I found a spark in the normal.
User Info.
He comes off as such a goofy guy but his blogs are always very intelligent and insightful.
07:36 PM on 02/07/14
Hartriant
eleventwelfth.bandcamp.co m
User Info.
great advice, his blog is so cool.
07:45 PM on 02/07/14
AReiss
Coffee & Cigarettes Clothing Co.
User Info.
I think this applies to a lot of things. Good piece.
08:57 PM on 02/07/14
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Too bad I won't ever be able to test this statement because my stage-fright would stop my heart before the band even played a single note... Anyway, nice read.
09:02 PM on 02/07/14
Chalie22
User Info.
Great read, I think everyone that ever got in the van and went on tour can relate.
09:06 PM on 02/07/14
Niko John
See Ya
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not in a band, yet this was still interesting to read. It was cool to see how things work for a touring band.
10:00 PM on 02/07/14
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
Too bad I won't ever be able to test this statement because my stage-fright would stop my heart before the band even played a single note... Anyway, nice read.
"just turn and look at the drummer with your back to the crowd" - 17 year old me

"i thought you weren't suppose to play with your back to the crowd?" - 28 year old me watching new indie bands in bars.
10:03 PM on 02/07/14
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
User Info.
Awesome read. I'll try to remember the not so obvious stuff if I'm ever making music.
01:27 AM on 02/08/14
Dreamers
wearedreamers.bandcamp
User Info.
this is fantastic.
02:54 AM on 02/08/14
xxshawn
DANGER CLUB
User Info.
The first show I ever played was spent looking down at the ground while playing guitar and singing as my hands and legs shook. I'm sure the next few shows weren't that much different. Now I think I'm most comfortable on stage, mainly because I'm doing what I love. I'd say if you're interested in making music and such, just go for it. Stage fright disappears, trust me.
04:55 AM on 02/08/14
qwerty22
--
User Info.
I used to be the same way before I realized I could let other musicians sing while I focused on instruments. If you have any proficiency in music, please don't let stage fright stop you. I've been there. Still can't give a presentation to a crowd but I can play music to them as long it's loud enough.
09:41 AM on 02/08/14
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
User Info.
One of the most well-spoken dudes around. Always a good read.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos