AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Are The In Crowd - Weird Kids Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.44
Musicianship 5.47
Lyrics 5.19
Production 6.31
Creativity 5.34
Lasting Value 5.56
Reviewer Tilt 6.16
Average: 58%
Inside AP.net

We Are The In Crowd - Weird Kids

Reviewed by: Niko John (02/14/14)
We Are The In Crowd - Weird Kids
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: February 18, 2014

Youth is a confusing time. One minute you are experiencing new and exciting things, dreaming about the future and what awaits. The next you are upset, stressed about broken relationships and if you belong, now uncertain about the very future you were excited about, unsure if you are capable or even worthy of the great things that are to come. But youth is not just a specific point in someone's life; it is a mindset. The thoughts and worries of youth are universal, experienced by everyone, at all points in life. This is why We Are The In Crowd's sophomore album Weird Kids is so special. On the surface, it is a collection of catchy, well-executed pop-punk songs. However, below these glistening, well produced songs, you will find a calling to all the young and young at heart; stand up and "don't you worry about a thing."

We Are The In Crowd's previous two outings, the unbelievably catchy Guaranteed to Disagree EP, and the ambitious but lackluster and underwhelming debut Best Intentions are solid pop-punk, but Weird Kids is something grander. There is a maturity and confidence to these songs that were missing in the aforementioned albums. Jordan Eckes sounds just as crisp and bouncy as ever, but it is lead singer Taylor Jardine who has truly grown. There is a new found sass and tenacity in her singing that says "I am tired of being behind; I want to be the best and I want to be the best right now." It is addicting, mesmerizing, and made me have confidence in myself as I was listening, which is the whole point of Weird Kids.

The album starts with "Long Live the Kids", an opener that will be an instant hit live. Taylor singing "So hang on be strong, long live the kids in us all/You can't tell us no...You can't tell us no! no! no! no!" made my heart quicken, my palms sweat, and made me want to scream into a microphone; if I felt like that listening to a recording I can't imagine what will happen when heard live. "The Best Thing (That Never Happened)" continues the rock influenced barrage, as Jardine sings crowd-pleasers like "You'll crack just like the rest when I break your f**king jaw/So toxic, you aint' nothing but a prick." It's not all rock and roll though as We Are The In Crowd continues with their pop-punk roots that are catchier than ever. "Attention" is going to be stuck in the heads of listeners for months, all the way through summer; Jardine and Eckes chemistry is better than ever and the theme of believing that you need to change yourself will hit home with everyone listening (I know the way I wanna be/ But Iím trapped in who I am/ The only thing that holds me back is believing that I need a change). The band continues their ability to diversify by showing their soft side with songs like "Don't You Worry" and "Windows In Heaven", the former being an ode to believing in who you are and the only thing that stands between you and happiness is yourself, and the latter being a very personal look into Jardine's feelings about her departed father and the impact he left on her. A somber and moody beat plays as she sings "If you could see me now, would you be pleased and proud? I'm doing fine, but sometimes I cry when I see your face/ Are there windows in heaven?" It is hypnotizing and the closer "Reflections" has more impact knowing that Jardine has moved past her despair and is ready to live life.

Weird Kids is a wonderful example of an album that is not just catchy or fun, but also a message to all its listeners. We Are The In Crowd have not just created the best album of their career, but also the album that many teens and the young at heart will turn to when tough times come around. Tay, Jordan, Mike, Rob, and Cameron don't sound like they are just here to create music; they sound like our best friends, listening, understanding, and knowing what we are going through. They want to be there to help us and encourage us through all the good and bad moments in our lives. Everyone goes through heartache, broken trust, loss of friends, and feeling inferior, no matter what your age. We Are The In Crowd understands this and have created an album to tell the listener "we are here." Life can be rough, but no one should go through it alone; after all, "we're all just weird kids in the end."

Recommended If You Likepop-punk, Tonight Alive!, The Summer Set, All Time Low, Hey Monday, Echosmith

Additional InformationOfficial Website
Facebook
Twitter

Track Listing:
1. Long Live the Kids
2. The Best Thing (That Never Happened)
3. Manners
4. Come Back Home
5. Attention
6. Dreaming Out Loud
7. Remember (To Forget You)
8. Don't Worry
9. Windows In Heaven
10. Reflections

Members:
Taylor Jardine
Jordan Eckes
Mike Ferri
Rob Chianelli
Cameron Hurley

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
02:05 PM on 02/18/14
Passion Man
User Info.
good review. excited to hear it's the best of their career. picking this up today and going to blast it in my car.
01:13 PM on 02/21/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
this album is really good - head and shoulders above their previous EP or album
05:08 PM on 02/23/14
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very very good album. Surely the best I've listened to this year. Tay's vocals are excellent as always, and this time the "slow songs" are not the weak points of the album (as in Best Intentions). On the contrary, Windows in Heaven is a touching ballad, and Come Back Home is probably my favourite song on the CD. Jordan is singing less on this one, but I don't think it's a bad thing at all.
10:53 AM on 02/24/14
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
Very very good album. Surely the best I've listened to this year. Tay's vocals are excellent as always, and this time the "slow songs" are not the weak points of the album (as in Best Intentions). On the contrary, Windows in Heaven is a touching ballad, and Come Back Home is probably my favourite song on the CD. Jordan is singing less on this one, but I don't think it's a bad thing at all.
At first I thought that Jordan singing less would be a detriment since that is what made them stand out, but I never missed his vocals because Tay carries them so well by herself.
11:09 AM on 02/24/14
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
At first I thought that Jordan singing less would be a detriment since that is what made them stand out, but I never missed his vocals because Tay carries them so well by herself.
Yes, exactly. I loved their "duets" in Best Intentions and the EP, but honestly Tay delivered such an impressive performance that I do not miss Jordan at all, haha.
12:44 PM on 02/24/14
jeffmangum
User Info.
i haven't listened to them in over a year but i'll give this cd a listen! i'm hoping it'll stand out more than best intentions to me
05:17 PM on 02/24/14
FTank
Blank
User Info.
i haven't listened to them in over a year but i'll give this cd a listen! i'm hoping it'll stand out more than best intentions to me
It's better than that release in every way. Enjoy!
05:55 AM on 03/19/14
gatoraid666
User Info.
It's kind of cute how these chintzy cheesy pop songs get the dudes in the band a little too excited.
05:13 PM on 03/30/14
Passion Man
User Info.
Pretty much in love with this album after spending more time with it. Tay has improved vocally, lyrics are more mature ( "Don't You Worry", "Windows in Heaven" ), there's no filler to be found, no forced Jordan vocals where there doesn't need to be, melodies are great...overall, easily their best album yet.
07:58 PM on 05/13/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
I don't care about this band, just wanted to say this is an excellent review. Very well-written.
05:50 AM on 05/22/14
PengusNiugnep
@PenguinGengar
User Info.
I know this review is a bit old by now, but I wanted to say that it's a great review. I really enjoy this album as well.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums