Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 31 posts
10:28 PM on 02/16/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Nailed it. Probably the most important record out there right now. You barely talked about the incredible guitar work on the record, though. The lyrics and musicianship on display is fantastic, but, fuck - that guitar tone.
Yeah I also wanted to talk about how the production is such an improvement over the squeaky-clean bullshit that the wave of emo/pop-punk bands a decade ago utilized. But alas my novel was too long already.
10:39 PM on 02/16/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Damn - i guess I'll put this on my iPod before work in the morning. I enjoyed reading this a lot even though I haven't heard it yet
Yeah man. Best record to come out of this scene in awhile. I thought the TWIABP album from last year was the hardest an emo album was gonna hit me at this point in my life, but I was wrong.
07:51 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Holy hell Chris, 9.75? Is this your AOTY right now, or are you going to be giving Drive By Truckers a 10 in a few weeks to be consistent?

Anyway, really terrific review, brother. I need to spend more time with this, but my impressions so far have been positive.
I like this more than the Truckers record right now.
07:58 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Remember when you said you had "almost certainly already heard what would be your favorite of 2014" or something like that? Whoops!
Haha yeah even then I kinda knew that probably wouldn't be true though. English Oceans is awesome but not without flaws--perhaps since I'm such a huge fan I hear the little things that could be better more than others. And there's not a single thing on this album I'd change if I could.

And hell this probably won't be my favorite of the year either when all's said and done, who knows. It's only February and it looks like we might finally get a new Wrens record this year!
08:07 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Fantastic review, very well written. This album is phenomenal; I feel like this could be an iconic album for younger listeners discovering this scene. Something along the lines of what TAYF was for me, it hits that hard.
Yeah I think the exact same thing.
08:16 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Yeah man, I'm teasing. I'm really coming around on English Oceans, but it took me a little while. Their albums are just so long that they don't really hit me immediately. As for Hotelier, I don't see any scenario playing out with this album where I don't skip "Life in Drag" every time, but that's just me and just because I don't go for that type of song, musically. And really, skipping a song every time doesn't even mean an album can't make my top five at the end of the year. I skip that Gun Club cover on Celebration Rock every time through and it was my number four. But I definitely need to spend some time with this album to appreciate all of the thematic stuff you pointed out in your review.
Yeah man English Oceans hit me hard on first listen but unless you're a Truckers diehard that's just not gonna happen haha. Yeah well I love "Life in Drag," sounds like it could fit in on that Touche Amore record from last year that I loved. But yeah different strokes.

Totally get that dude. This one's a monster lyrically/thematically but it's not immediately apparent. Can't tell you how many times I've though "shit I should've talked about this too" since I put the review up last night. Ah well.
08:28 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
I also just always miss Isbell now, listening to the newer Truckers albums versus stuff like The Dirty South. I'm glad he went solo, because now we get full albums of his stuff instead of getting four or five tracks an album. But shit, I think he brought something to their records that the newer ones are missing. And that Touche record wasn't for me either, so it's no surprise that I'm not into "Life in Drag."
Yeah I miss him too, but I just have accepted that that whole situation is what it is and there's not gonna be another Truckers record like Dirty South or Decoration Day. And honestly while I obviously miss his songwriting, I miss his guitar work even more. Wish he'd make a full-on rock 'n roll record with the 400 Unit.

If the Truckers keep on cranking out records like English Oceans this deep in their career though, and Isbell keeps improving as a solo artist at the rate he has been, I think we're all winners here haha.
08:37 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
This album is so fucking good.

One of the final verses in Dendron features my favorite lyrics from a song in over two years:

Part of your charm was the way you would push me from
All of the traps that I just couldn't see
Figures the one that was there to have tripped you up
Would be the one that was set there by me
I'd give a similar title to the very last four lines. "Dendron" in general is just such an incredible song.
08:46 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
It's absolutely my favorite on the record. Great review. This record is making waves and will continue to.
Thanks Zack. Yeah I've got a feeling these guys are gonna balloon in the coming weeks. Or at least I certainly hope they do.
09:17 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Yeah how has everyone gotten their hands on this already? Thought it was a Feb. 25th release?
Digital downloads were sent out already for those who pre-ordered. Also I think you might be able to buy it early on their bandcamp
09:26 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Can't buy it on Bandcamp, but I think if you get the digital download from Tiny Engines' store you'll get it immediately.

Probably gonna bite the bullet and pre-order this today... Was debating whether I should hold off until my local record store had it, but I figure it'd be cheaper to pre-order anyway.
Yeah I'd pre-order, no idea what physical distro will be like. First pressing's almost sold out too
11:14 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Very true, almost an anti-Wonder Years as far as specificity
Absolutely agree with this. Interesting that Christian addresses some topics Soupy likes to write about--class consciousness for example--but goes about it in a totally different and in my opinion much more effective manner.

This album hit so hard. Especially "Life in Drag", I'm glad to see more and more people writing about gender dysphoria. Amazing review Chris.
Agreed. Doesn't hurt that it's made for some great art so far too! haha

Fuck, man. You hit this one outta the park, Chris. One of the best reviews I've read on this site in a long, long time.

Record is unbelievably good- probably my favorite release of the year thus far. "Your Deep Rest" is easily one of the best songs I've heard this year, as well. More comments to follow when I'm not in class haha
Thanks bud!
11:22 AM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
In case anyone missed it you can buy the thing for $6 right now on their bandcamp; instant download. Do it! Also the vinyl is almost sold out

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthre...ost1311 04881
07:08 PM on 02/17/14
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
This was a really well written review. Probably the best piece I've seen from you. Good work.

Awesome album.
Thanks man!

I'm really happy to see all the love for this album - got the final masters back in December and have listened to this album once every night since. it's a game changer

great review Chris
Absolutely a game changer. Thanks dude, and thanks for stepping aside and letting me review this one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos