Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts
01:20 PM on 02/20/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I'm really confused here, how is an album with 7 out of 11 memorable tracks being simultaneously described as "painful", "plodding", and a "miss in every sense of the word"?
I was being generous by liking seven. Really there's only two or three that are can't miss. The other four are decent. It's a boring as hell album and plods along like woah.
05:51 AM on 02/21/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This review is really all over the place. I'm not a hardcore Phantogram fan, so don't think I'm taking anything personally here, but it needs to be reiterated: you cannot describe an album as "a miss in every sense of the word" and "painful" then say two-thirds of the tracks are "good", two or three are "can't miss" and give an overall score of 70%. That's not a credible way to go about reviewing something, because you are saying very contradictory things all at once. It's totally fine if you wanted more from the album, but this review comes off as rather ... to borrow your own descriptor, "histrionic".
As I said earlier, I probably was being way too generous by saying seven of the songs were good. I was really just trying to give the band benefit of the doubt. I also said in the comments that really at most, four or five songs are terrific. If there's indecision in the review, it's because I really wanted to like the album. In trying to find winning moments I probably overshot and gave undue credit to at least a couple songs.

As for the rating a 7, anyone who knows my review criteria knows that an album has to be god-awful to get less than a 6 from me. Voices is not god awful. Sarah can sing, and they craft electro-rock well. It's just hopelessly boring. But its not like they are not proficient at what they do. Their back catalog proves that.
05:51 AM on 02/21/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Why was the album a 7 when you said "For all its winning moments (okay, there’s really only a handful), Voices is a laborious, painful and plodding forty-five minutes that absolutely misses in every sense of the word."

So it's painful to listen to but most of it is awesome?
See my above comment. No, it's not awesome. It's awesome in places.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos