Username
Password
MTV News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
MTV
Inside AP.net

Girl Talk's Feed the Animals is Bigger Than the Sound

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (06/25/08)
James Montgomery discusses the implications of the sampling used on Girl Talk's Feed the Animals in this week's Bigger Than the Sound.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
10:17 AM on 06/25/08
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
That was a good read. Feed The Animals is so great.
10:18 AM on 06/25/08
thespearkid
Take Care.
User Info.
Feed the Animals is a tight disk.
10:26 AM on 06/25/08
ACA
Next Show: Braid / ABPOL @ NJ 7/23
User Info.
Once again, such a shitty article that it's embarrassing to say I took time to read it, but I had to despite doing my best to not read this crap in months because I love Girl Talk so much.

Feed the Animals (a very good disc) has nothing on Night Ripper, which is a shame almost because if THIS is the album that gets you into GT, and you don't hop on board.. well I can see why. It's good, for sure, but his prior effort is just so incredible it's hard to recommend this album at all if you've never gotten into his work. Night Ripper is too catchy and too bumpin that you HAVE to play it at gatherings. After a half a million plays though, it does get old, and I was hoping Feed the Animals would be something to step up.. it's just not.

All that said, Gregg Gillis does a great job, and I like where he stands on the "fair use" defense. Old, stupid white men who's grandfathers probably owned slaves who sit at the head of courts don't have any business deciding these cases.. or else you get some of the most terrible rulings in history (all involving computers, music, technology, copyright), like we've had over the past ten years.

Let's hope the artists (especially the ones already knee-deep in loot) embrace Girl Talk.. it's the only way this sort of thing has any chance of making it through the next ten years. Artists need to side with artists.. I hope it turns out, I'm excited to hear more of his work, which won't happen if he's brought in front of a court by five hundred of the artists he sampled.

-ACA
10:26 AM on 06/25/08
gracky
Don't you float away.
User Info.
i think it's hilarious that girl talk is like, this huuuge secret.
apparently even his coworkers at his day job have no idea that he flies all around the world to play shows on weekends.
10:33 AM on 06/25/08
ACA
Next Show: Braid / ABPOL @ NJ 7/23
User Info.
apparently even his coworkers at his day job have no idea that he flies all around the world to play shows on weekends.

I think you took that from a really old quote.

I'm pretty sure his life isn't quite so secret now.

-ACA
10:36 AM on 06/25/08
kidwithhelmet
User Info.
ACA's note was a better read than Montgomery's. He's absolutely right, artists need to side with artists, but I hope it will never get to that point...
10:58 AM on 06/25/08
I Shot Chicago
NPH FTW
User Info.
love girl talk, but i have to agree: Night Ripper is by far superior
10:59 AM on 06/25/08
GiggsOho
Guns don't kill, Cedric & Omar do
User Info.
Okay, so after all the talk and the posts and all the hoohah about this, I finally caved and listen to the Girl Talk stuff........

.........people talk about this guy like he is the second coming of Christ. It is not THAT good. I mean, I agree with some of the posts here, it's quality to bump at a party/club, but I'm sorry, there is nothing orginal about this, stuff like this has been all over since people were rippin' songs off Napster. I remember going to AC clubs and hearing stuff, like Vic Latino mashing "Can't Stop" by RHCP with Kanye's "Gold Digger", its cool to party to, but other than that, this isn't some groundbreaking album. It's a mash-up album, a good one among many, many mediocre ones.

But it's not original.
11:04 AM on 06/25/08
guitarliketom
i'm still here?
User Info.
Once again, such a shitty article that it's embarrassing to say I took time to read it, but I had to despite doing my best to not read this crap in months because I love Girl Talk so much.

Feed the Animals (a very good disc) has nothing on Night Ripper, which is a shame almost because if THIS is the album that gets you into GT, and you don't hop on board.. well I can see why. It's good, for sure, but his prior effort is just so incredible it's hard to recommend this album at all if you've never gotten into his work. Night Ripper is too catchy and too bumpin that you HAVE to play it at gatherings. After a half a million plays though, it does get old, and I was hoping Feed the Animals would be something to step up.. it's just not.

All that said, Gregg Gillis does a great job, and I like where he stands on the "fair use" defense. Old, stupid white men who's grandfathers probably owned slaves who sit at the head of courts don't have any business deciding these cases.. or else you get some of the most terrible rulings in history (all involving computers, music, technology, copyright), like we've had over the past ten years.

Let's hope the artists (especially the ones already knee-deep in loot) embrace Girl Talk.. it's the only way this sort of thing has any chance of making it through the next ten years. Artists need to side with artists.. I hope it turns out, I'm excited to hear more of his work, which won't happen if he's brought in front of a court by five hundred of the artists he sampled.

-ACA

There is really no... room for improvement in what he does aside from 1) flow 2) what he samples

overall i think the cd does not flow as well as night ripper, but a lto of the samples are more recognizeable, which i really dig, so now you kow whats mashed, so you can be suprised with it. if you hear two songs mashed that you never heard in the first place you would never know they were mashed, so i approve of this. i really didnt expect any "improvement" cause there really was no room for it like in any other band. i was just stoked to get a new GT cd.
11:05 AM on 06/25/08
guitarliketom
i'm still here?
User Info.
it was a secret.
he has since quit his job and it is now a ft gig
11:11 AM on 06/25/08
amysaurus
gonna stay eighteen forever.
User Info.
I just downloaded this yesterday and haven't listened to it yet. I will now.
11:25 AM on 06/25/08
Jared Kaufman
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I prefer Feed The Animals over Night Ripper.
11:33 AM on 06/25/08
middlenameboom
Briefcase Wanker
User Info.
The article was an interesting read, but terribly over dramatic in my opinion. I hate it when people at MTV say that so and so is the most important artist right now. And let me preface this next sentance by saying I do enjoy Girl Talk and have for a long time now, and that I actually do mash up stuff myself and view it as a valid form of art and music, but... I really hate the idea that the "the most important artist right now" doesn't make "original" music.

And the article makes it seem like he is making this grand gesture about being out in the open about the sampling. I think any mash up artist would do the same thing, it's just because Girl Talk has the exposure to do that.
11:45 AM on 06/25/08
crapalexison
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That article sucked. At least he agrees that Girl Talk is great.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests