AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Stiff Little Fingers - 02.26.14

Stiff Little Fingers - 02.26.14

Interviewed by
Stiff Little Fingers - 02.26.14I chatted to punk legends Stiff Little Fingers about their upcoming album, No Going Back, their plans for the year and the current state of punk.

What’s happening in the Stiff Little Fingers camp at the moment?

The wagon train has arrived Down Under and we are setting up tepees in the Soundwave Festival site with those pesky youngsters Green Day headlining the tour in Australia. We just did 3 dates in New Zealand- Auckland, Wellington and also returning to earthquake- ravaged Christchurch whose citizens still managed to give us an amazing reception after a 5- year absence.

How did the PledgeMusic campaign go?

It went! We are completely bowled over and humbled by the amazing response. True independence once again 35 years on in the age of Cyberspace…

What can fans expect from No Going Back?

10 years’ worth of vitriol!

What are some of the themes on the record?

Injustice, deceit, discrimination and oppression …and that’s just the first track…

What inspired the album’s title?

Partly lifted from one of the tracks; ‘My Dark Places’ and although this is a very personal song from Jake Burns my interpretation would be about not giving in to the despair that can threaten to overwhelm from time to time. From one’s own personal state of being to how the world is turning the title can be interpreted on different levels. No doubt because the cover photo is set in Belfast people may draw their own conclusions…

Was there any reason for the eleven year wait between this and your last record?

No excuses. All lazy bastards.

Are you looking forward to your upcoming UK/ Ireland tour?

Are you kidding?! Can wait- touring Britain & Ireland this time of year has become as traditional as St Patrick’s Day itself and the band is deeply grateful to the many faithful supporters who seem determined to outdo each other in showing their enthusiasm for those yearly appearances.

Can fans expect a mix of new and old on the tour or will it be pretty focused on No Going Back?

We might sneak a few newbies in there….

What do you think of the current state of punk music? Are there any current bands that you’re fans of?

To my mind punk is not just defined by musical style - it’s an attitude. From Dublin’s folkie Damien Dempsey to the guitar assault of Belfast’s …And So I Watch You From Afar these guys continue to redefine what stirs the senses.

What are your plans for the rest of the year?

Release the album worldwide, play some festivals, tour Scandinavian in the summer and then return to America, Canada, Britain and Europe later in the year. Check out slf.com

Final words?

I’m not dead yet.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:26 PM on 02/27/14
gold soundz
User Info.
You rule for interviewing SLF. Legends and a damn shame 99% of this site have never heard of them. Thank you!!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos