Username
Password
UK News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
UK
Inside AP.net

UK Music Round-Up (03/09/14)

Posted by: Andy Biddulph (03/09/14)
Head to the replies to see this week's UK Music Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
07:20 AM on 03/09/14
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
UK Music Round-UpFestival News
We Are The In Crowd, State Champs and more have been added to this year's Slam Dunk Festival. Scroll down to see the bands added this week.
Slam DunkWe Are The In Crowd
Less Than Jake
Motion City Soundtrack
Hit The Lights
State Champs
A Loss For Words
Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!
Marmozets
Blitz Kids

A number of bands have been added to April's Hit The Deck Festival, including The Xcerts and Pulled Apart By Horses. See the full announcement below.
Hit The DeckKvelertak
Pulled Apart By Horses
Baby Godzilla
The Charm The Fury
Death Remains
Dinosaur Pile Up
The Gnarwhals
Lacey
Lyger
The Xcerts

Another clutch of bands have been revealed for Sonisphere Festival, including Dream Theater and Palm Reader. See a list of bands announced this week below.
SonisphereDream Theater
Devil You Know
Yashin
The Cadillac Three
Glamour Of The Kill
Palm Reader
Broken Hands
Fort Hope
The One Hundred
Collibus

Radstock Festival's line-up has been reshuffled. A number of bands have been dropped from the bill and the festival will now take place over two nights in both Liverpool and Newcastle.

News
Fighting Fiction have called it a day.

Lonely The Brave have put together a lyric video for "Trick Of The Light".

Twin Forks have cancelled their March UK tour to go out on the road with American Idol winner Phillip Phillips.

Jamie Lenman has posted a video for "It's Hard To Be A Gentleman / All The Things You Hate About Me, I Hate Them Too".

Charlie Simpson has posted a new track entitled "Winter Hymns".

Feed The Rhino will release new record The Sorrow And The Sound on the 16th of June via Siege Of Amida.

Weathered Hands' debut record A Warm Life In The Cold is streaming over at Rock Sound.

LostAlone's video for "Scarlet Letter Rhymes" is now online.

Our People Versus Yours' video for "Rejoice" is now streaming. The band will release debut album Machine Hearts Machine Minds on the 28th of April.

Under The Influence have posted a video for "Sixth Sense" online.

Glamour Of The Kill have a new video for "A Freak Like Me".

----------------------------------------------------------------
Tours
Converge (SUPPORT: Martyrdod & Okkultokrati)
August
4th Manchester Club Academy
5th Glasgow Classic Grand
6th London Scala

Andrew WK
July
29th Leeds Cockpit
30th Glasgow Classic Grand
31st Liverpool East Village Arts Club
August
1st Derbyshire Y Not Festival
2nd London Visions Festival

Chuck Ragan
May
27th Nottingham Rock City Basement
28th Bristol Thekla
29th London Garage
June
24th Brighton Haunt
25th Manchester Gorilla
26th Leeds Brudenell Social Club

Charlie Simpson
May
14th Manchester Deaf Institute
15th Birmingham Academy 2
16th London Islington Academy
19th Bristol Thekla

Marmozets
March
31st Newcastle Cluny
April
1st Birmingham Institute Temple
2nd Manchester Deaf Institute
3rd London 100 Club

Biohazard
August
9th Blackpool Rebellion Festival
10th Derbyshire Bloodstock Festival
11th Leeds Brudenell Social Club
14th Nuneaton Queens Hall
15th London Camden Underworld

As It Is (SUPPORT: Bentley Park)
April
4th Reading Bowery District
5th Cardiff Fuel
6th York Fibbers
7th Leeds Cockpit
8th Nottingham Maze
9th Norwich B2

LostAlone (SUPPORT: Verses & The First)
April
3rd St Albans Horn
4th Oxford Academy
5th Canterbury Penny Theatre
6th Swansea Sin City
7th London Camden Barfly
8th Exeter Cavernn Club
10th Cambridge Portland Arms
11th Milton Keynes Craufurd Arms
12th Coventry Kasbah
13th Nottingham Rock City Basement
14th Manchester Sound Control
15th York Fibbers
16th Edinburgh Opium
17th Inverness Ironworks
18th Dundee Beat Generator

Freeze The Atlantic (SUPPORT: Layers)
May
25th London Old Blue Last
26th Cardiff Clwb Ifor Bach
27th Birmingham Rainbow
28th Preston Mad Ferret
29th Glasgow Nice'n'sleazy
30th Edinburgh Opium
31st Wakefield Hop

Halestorm (SUPPORT: Dayshell)
April
1st Newcastle Academy
3rd Sheffield Academy
4th Manchester Academy
5th Glasgow ABC
7th Birmingham Academy
8th Bristol Academy
9th London Forum
09:12 AM on 03/09/14
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
I just got a call from Ticketweb saying that the Twin Forks show in London, March 17th has been cancelled - they weren't sure why. I've just checked and it looks like all UK dates have now been cancelled but I can't see any explanation...

Having a look at their tour dates they seem to be in Canada / U.S. in the next few weeks so I'm not sure what's happened there?
09:37 AM on 03/09/14
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just got a call from Ticketweb saying that the Twin Forks show in London, March 17th has been cancelled - they weren't sure why. I've just checked and it looks like all UK dates have now been cancelled but I can't see any explanation...

Having a look at their tour dates they seem to be in Canada / U.S. in the next few weeks so I'm not sure what's happened there?
That sucks. They're touring Canada with some dude who won American Idol instead. Understandably, they seem to be keeping the fact that they've cancelled dates quiet...
11:20 AM on 03/09/14
Isolated
is awesome.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That sucks. They're touring Canada with some dude who won American Idol instead. Understandably, they seem to be keeping the fact that they've cancelled dates quiet...
That's really interesting actually.. I know happens in music, but it is does take away from their artistic integrity a lot. Not rescheduling makes it worse though. If you're gonna screw your fans over, at least do a reschedule instead of full on cancellations.
11:28 AM on 03/09/14
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
I'm not listening to Winter Hymns enough.
11:44 AM on 03/09/14
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I could have sworn Fighting Fiction had been announced for a tour or a festival later this year. I quite liked them.

Also, if I can find someone to go to Slam Dunk with, I am so there. That line-up looks pretty damn good.
02:09 PM on 03/09/14
holypinto
http://holypinto.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I could have sworn Fighting Fiction had been announced for a tour or a festival later this year. I quite liked them.

Also, if I can find someone to go to Slam Dunk with, I am so there. That line-up looks pretty damn good.
Yeah, that sucks about Fighting Fiction. We were lucky to have played before them at the Punk Record Fair in London last year + they killed it live.

Shitty move from Twin Forks. I hope they reschedule the tour asap to make up for it. Glad I hadn't bought a ticket, do want to see the Carrabador live though sometime.
02:22 PM on 03/09/14
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
Hmm sounds like they have screwed the fans over... When I found out I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought this couldn't be avoided. I understand bands would wanted to take an opportunity that is lucrative / is going to give them more exposure but the least they can do is be up front with the fans. Disappointing to say the least... Chris has been around long enough to know the score - a nice dude as well so such a strange move.
09:25 AM on 03/10/14
jackSHIT
User Info.
Check out The Hearts, new incarnation of The Boy Royals who split up last week.

RIYL; The Killers, The 1975

https://soundcloud.com/theheartsuk
01:32 PM on 03/10/14
littlewow
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this makes me miss living in the UK a lot :(
01:57 PM on 03/10/14
renedex
User Info.

Hmm sounds like they have screwed the fans over... When I found out I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought this couldn't be avoided. I understand bands would wanted to take an opportunity that is lucrative / is going to give them more exposure but the least they can do is be up front with the fans. Disappointing to say the least... Chris has been around long enough to know the score - a nice dude as well so such a strange move.

That's really interesting actually.. I know happens in music, but it is does take away from their artistic integrity a lot. Not rescheduling makes it worse though. If you're gonna screw your fans over, at least do a reschedule instead of full on cancellations.

Chris Carrabba has done this exact thing before with the last 2 Dashboard tours that were supposed to come here. This is the 3rd tour, by a band he fronts, to have cancelled at short notice, without rescheduled dates, in order to tour the US or Canada instead. Each cancellation has given rise to promises of a rescheduled tour, which have never materialised.

The fact is many fans have actually lost money due to booking fees which do not get refunded - especially when you consider these have accumulated over three different cancelled tours. This is especially frustrating for loyal fans; as someone who has purchased tickets to all 3 of those tours I have now lost an amount equivalent to the actual ticket price of this show.

I could write forever about how shitty it is to treat fans in this way. At the very least, it's ridiculously unprofessional.

I'm also very unimpressed by the reluctance on the part of most music news sites and blogs - AP.net included, and, in some ways, especially - to report on the fact they've done this.

I am certain if any other band, big or small, had cancelled a 30 date US tour, two weeks before it begun, for no reason other than they had a better offer to tour Europe instead, a lot of people would be up in arms. At the very least, there would be a non-judgmental, factual story posted about it. That would be normal: such a cancellation is not run of the mill: it is definitely 'news'.

I understand that you rely, to an extent, on industry goodwill to receive your exclusives and your whatnots and I understand you don't want to rock any boats.

However, by refusing to draw attention to instances like this you really do implicitly endorse this kind of behaviour. 'Oh, it's just Europe, that's not news', 'Nobody cares if people cancel a tour in Europe'. You aid and abet the perpetuation of this damagingly casual attitude by not calling others out on it. Especially considering how influential you are as a site.

I know this sounds preachy, but you guys are supposed to be music fans as well as journalists - step back for a moment and consider whether you want to wield your influence for the betterment of the experience of other music fans? Or not? Maybe you don't. I guess I don't really know why, but I'd always just assumed that you'd be the sorts of guys who would want to answer that question with a nice loud 'Yes, of course we want to improve music fans' experience, no matter where they're based geographically'.

I think you would be surprised how much of your readership is based in places outside of the US. We're oftentimes not that vocal. We, by and large, understand that this is a US-centric site and the reporting priorities governing what news gets posted will reflect that, to an extent.

However, to offer zero coverage, of issues that are so significant to another continent's music scene, that relate to a band which is very much in your typical coverage remit, and about which a lot of your non-European readers would, I imagine, at the very least, not object to being informed - if not actually actively wanting to be informed of how a band they like is behaving unprofessionally - is extremely disheartening.

I don't know what others' like to read about, but I, for one, am as interested in how my favourite bands act in the US as they do in Europe. Their actions and decisions inform my opinion of them no matter where they occur. So, to that end, I assert that your decision not to report anything at all was, at best, a very poor one. You've failed to report a story of potentially wide interest to your audience. At worst, you materially helped in keeping this quiet. Which is unfortunate. Because music news sites that wanted to look out for their readerships' general interest wouldn't do that.
03:23 PM on 03/10/14
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Chris Carrabba has done this exact thing before with the last 2 Dashboard tours that were supposed to come here. This is the 3rd tour, by a band he fronts, to have cancelled at short notice, without rescheduled dates, in order to tour the US or Canada instead. Each cancellation has given rise to promises of a rescheduled tour, which have never materialised.

The fact is many fans have actually lost money due to booking fees which do not get refunded - especially when you consider these have accumulated over three different cancelled tours. This is especially frustrating for loyal fans; as someone who has purchased tickets to all 3 of those tours I have now lost an amount equivalent to the actual ticket price of this show.

I could write forever about how shitty it is to treat fans in this way. At the very least, it's ridiculously unprofessional.

I'm also very unimpressed by the reluctance on the part of most music news sites and blogs - AP.net included, and, in some ways, especially - to report on the fact they've done this.

I am certain if any other band, big or small, had cancelled a 30 date US tour, two weeks before it begun, for no reason other than they had a better offer to tour Europe instead, a lot of people would be up in arms. At the very least, there would be a non-judgmental, factual story posted about it. That would be normal: such a cancellation is not run of the mill: it is definitely 'news'.

I understand that you rely, to an extent, on industry goodwill to receive your exclusives and your whatnots and I understand you don't want to rock any boats.

However, by refusing to draw attention to instances like this you really do implicitly endorse this kind of behaviour. 'Oh, it's just Europe, that's not news', 'Nobody cares if people cancel a tour in Europe'. You aid and abet the perpetuation of this damagingly casual attitude by not calling others out on it. Especially considering how influential you are as a site.

I know this sounds preachy, but you guys are supposed to be music fans as well as journalists - step back for a moment and consider whether you want to wield your influence for the betterment of the experience of other music fans? Or not? Maybe you don't. I guess I don't really know why, but I'd always just assumed that you'd be the sorts of guys who would want to answer that question with a nice loud 'Yes, of course we want to improve music fans' experience, no matter where they're based geographically'.

I think you would be surprised how much of your readership is based in places outside of the US. We're oftentimes not that vocal. We, by and large, understand that this is a US-centric site and the reporting priorities governing what news gets posted will reflect that, to an extent.

However, to offer zero coverage, of issues that are so significant to another continent's music scene, that relate to a band which is very much in your typical coverage remit, and about which a lot of your non-European readers would, I imagine, at the very least, not object to being informed - if not actually actively wanting to be informed of how a band they like is behaving unprofessionally - is extremely disheartening.

I don't know what others' like to read about, but I, for one, am as interested in how my favourite bands act in the US as they do in Europe. Their actions and decisions inform my opinion of them no matter where they occur. So, to that end, I assert that your decision not to report anything at all was, at best, a very poor one. You've failed to report a story of potentially wide interest to your audience. At worst, you materially helped in keeping this quiet. Which is unfortunate. Because music news sites that wanted to look out for their readerships' general interest wouldn't do that.
Hey,

Thanks for the response. The band haven't made any sort of statement about the cancelled dates, and I didn't actually know that the shows were off until it was pointed out in the comments above (which sucks because I was planning on going to the Manchester date, me actually being from the UK and all...) When I did look into it, I included it in the round-up.

If something isn't being reported or you think we've missed something, all of our email addresses are available on our AP.net profile pages.

Also, we posted about the Anthony Green / Dear Hunter tour being cancelled around a week ago. That one was picked up on, this one wasn't. That's the only difference.

Ta.
03:35 PM on 03/10/14
renedex
User Info.
Hey,

Thanks for the response. The band haven't made any sort of statement about the cancelled dates, and I didn't actually know that the shows were off until it was pointed out in the comments above (which sucks because I was planning on going to the Manchester date, me actually being from the UK and all...) When I did look into it, I included it in the round-up.

If something isn't being reported or you think we've missed something, all of our email addresses are available on our AP.net profile pages.

Also, we posted about the Anthony Green / Dear Hunter tour being cancelled around a week ago. That one was picked up on, this one wasn't. That's the only difference.

Ta.
My bad, in my eagerness to post I forgot to mention that I tipped in using this link:

http://www.absolutepunk.net/newthrea...ewthread&f=190

the day people first caught wind of this (I wanna say the 3rd). In my tip I linked to the band's Facebook page, where, as you point out, there was no mention of this - but already there was a LARGE group of angry fans who had been contacted by venues with news of the cancellation, and put two and two together (the Phillips dates had just been announced).

In terms not dissimilar to those above, I pleaded that some attention be drawn to this, as it was a big deal and not OK.

I have tipped multiple times before in the past, I am aware of the general response time between a tip being made and a news story being posted. A couple of days passed and nothing was posted on the site.

When I had been quite clearly ignored I didn't want to kick up a fuss and harass you guys (not least of all due to the fact it seemed like a futile endeavour, having been ignored once already) so I didn't think further emails would be fruitful or appropriate.

The first mention of this cancellation on this site was right here, buried 20 lines into the UK music round up. Which kind of angered me even further.

Thanks for responding though, I'm only posting like this as I feel quite strongly about this.
03:45 PM on 03/10/14
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My bad, in my eagerness to post I forgot to mention that I tipped in using this link:

http://www.absolutepunk.net/newthrea...ewthread&f=190

the day people first caught wind of this (I wanna say the 3rd). In my tip I linked to the bands Facebook page, where, as you point out, there was no mention of this - but already there was a LARGE handful of angry fans who had been contacted by venues with news of the cancellation, and put two and two together (the Phillips dates had just been announced).

In terms not dissimilar to those above, I pleaded that some attention be drawn to this, as it was a big deal and not OK.

I have tipped multiple times before in the past, I am aware of the general response time between a tip being made and a news story being posted. A couple of days passed and nothing was posted on the site.

When I had been quite clearly ignored I didn't want to kick up a fuss and harass you guys (not least of all due to the fact it seemed like a futile endeavour, having been ignored once already) so I didn't think further emails would be fruitful or appropriate.

The first mention of this cancellation on this site was right here, buried 20 lines into the UK music round up. Which kind of angered me even further.

Thanks for responding though, I'm only posting like this as I feel quite strongly about this.
Okay. The news submissions were particularly heavy this week, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was missed (I certainly didn't see it). Sorry about that.

If something like this crops up in the future, feel free to email me.

P.S. I'd also like to point out how pretty much nobody has picked up on this story over the past week, which is an indicator of how well Twin Forks are playing it down, I think...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests