Password

Album Review

Kill Your Ex - From Words to Motion Album Cover

Kill Your Ex - From Words to Motion

Reviewed by
Kill Your Ex - From Words to Motion
Record Label: Caroline Third Party
Release Date: April 15, 2008
Kill Your Ex are a four-piece rock/post-hardcore outfit from Portland, Oregon. Fusing a lot of different sounds and drawing upon influences from several different genres, they have produced a very solid, consistent debut album which is crying out for more mainstream exposure. Distinctly similar to bands such as The Used and Thrice, From Words To Motion displays a fine level of talent and some oddly pure technical guitar work.

Opener "Hades and Demeter" instantly introduces the audience to an electronic-sounding, lonely guitar, which is soon joined by the rest of the band for an anthemic introduction into the main verse. The main riff is repeated regularly, and the chorus crescendos smoothly, to set From Words To Motion off to a strong start. "Fetch Todo Fetch" is structured similarly, although in a slightly slower tempo. "Nine Point Eight" is a bit more of a change from the first four tracks, and is effectively placed in the album. More space for singer Joey Rubenstein to display his vocal array is created in this song, and he ranges up and down through the chorus nicely. He is never going to particularly stand out as an singer with a definitive voice in this generation of music, but what he does is consistent and is efficient in complementing the music. A method of screaming is also mildly interjected into this song, but is slightly under-used and comes across as a bit ineffective.

"Mudlark" is my favourite track from the album. With the most inventive (and strange) song title I've seen in a while, and is the epitome of what this band can produce when on top of their game. Here, all of the better elements from the other tracks in From Words To Motion are combined to make an incisive, exciting track which the listener will want to play again, before moving on. "Consent" is slower and a bit more peaceful, creating a much needed change of pace, displaying that Kill Your Ex is not a one-trick pony. The pace does pick up towards the end of the song, though, and this ensures that the song never verges on boring.

The final track, "Headspin" is the final remaining track off of From Words To Motion that really stands out for me; returning to the anthemic style first portrayed back in "Hades and Demeter," which leads into a massive chorus to finish off what is a very powerful, yet under-rated release.

Following up a great first album is always hard, and yet this is the task that surely awaits Kill Your Ex, now. With a bit more exposure, I believe these very deserving guys, who have toured a respectable distance of 80,000 miles, considering their short time together, could be very big across the current scene and hopefully somehow, somewhere, they'll get the break they need. When they look to produce their next album, and develop further, they much watch out not to slip into the ever-growing cavern of generic and cliched writing, and they can also perhaps think about varying up their style a tad. Aside from all this, Kill Your Ex is definitely going to be a band to watch for, and watch for them I will.

Recommended if You LikeThrice, The Used, Brigade

myspace.com/killyourex
This review is a user submitted review from alice+interiors. You can see all of alice+interiors's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:30 PM on 06/29/08
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
Met this band at Warped Tour last year. They're pretty cool. I haven't really got to listen to this album though, just the This Is Gravity EP. Now that EP is good.
11:02 AM on 07/12/08
showyourteeth
Busy, Busy, Busy
User Info.
while i don't think this band has an entirely original sound
they do have a couple songs that get stuck in my head from time to time

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles