AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Fall Out Boy News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Fall Out Boy Cover Elton John

Posted by - 09:36 AM on 03/19/14
Head to PopCrush for Fall Out Boy's cover of Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
09:46 AM on 03/19/14
TimeTables
User Info.
Wow. That was awesome
09:47 AM on 03/19/14
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
This is fucking great.
09:57 AM on 03/19/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Not sure how I feel about all the added electro layering but I'd kill to see them play this live. Could see them doing this on their arena tour this summer.
10:22 AM on 03/19/14
Zummy
I'm illegal in 48 states
User Info.
I really like that they seem to make it there own and didn't just cover Elton John's version to a tee.
10:25 AM on 03/19/14
lostandfoundliz
too damn old for this
User Info.
I really like that they seem to make it there own and didn't just cover Elton John's version to a tee.
I agree but I have to giggle. It sounds like Patrick is HYPER enunciating to avoid moaners. Heh. I like it though. One of my favorites off GYBR.
11:18 AM on 03/19/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
don't really think this is too great. Not much a fan of the fuzzy-ish vocal effect on the vocals
11:30 AM on 03/19/14
wrothish
I look to the sky
User Info.
Oh sweet, I was really hoping they'd release this before FOB's Wembley show tomorrow. Really looking forward to the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road release.

Many of you know this already, but this song led to Elton John's appearance on Save Rock & Roll. The photo of EJ & Patrick together from last year was taken the day SRAR was scheduled to be mastered. His people had contacted them about doing this cover and they asked if he'd do a feature on the new album, so they delayed mastering. Producer Peter Asher had previously worked with Patrick on the Buddy Holly tribute in 2011 and is Victoria Asher's father.
12:02 PM on 03/19/14
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
I think the chorus is missing a lot of the punch of the original but this is still ok.
12:40 PM on 03/19/14
DVNO
dial 45-41
User Info.
Good cover. Noting more.
12:41 PM on 03/19/14
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Better than the Nickelback/Kid Rock version for sure, but it lacks the punch (no pun intended) of the original. Feels like Pat is holding back from really giving this song the ferocity it requires.
02:01 PM on 03/19/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Patrick sounds great, but ew at that half-naked Bieber picture on the sidebar.
02:06 PM on 03/19/14
wrothish
I look to the sky
User Info.
Better than the Nickelback/Kid Rock version for sure, but it lacks the punch (no pun intended) of the original. Feels like Pat is holding back from really giving this song the ferocity it requires.
That cover was also weird because the song is a wry take on dudes with precisely that type of persona.

Asher knows what Patrick can do vocally, so I'd speculate that they made the style decisions to avoid too much sneer. EJ's intensity on that track is just a slightly (sometimes literally, if you've seen the coked-out live version ;) cranked version of his normal vocals and this mitigates an excessively harsh reading. When I envision Patrick following that more closely, it seems like it would upset that balance and come across as intense ridicule.
03:32 PM on 03/19/14
OldSchoolReason
User Info.
A: In American Idol, when they make all the contestants cover a song to open the show and they completely suck the life out of said song.

Q: What is our motivation for this?
03:33 PM on 03/19/14
dubey
trillest
User Info.
Not a Nickleback fan but I thought the FOB cover was awful in comparison

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version