AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Drama News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Drama
Inside AP.net

Touché Amoré Address Fred Phelps "Good...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (03/22/14)
Touché Amoré have released a statement regarding the controversy of the "Good Riddance/Fred Phelps" t-shirt.
Here we are years later, and the man has died. We got messages saying we should reprint the design, so we thought "we'll do an updated version and have the proceeds go to benefit what the man lived the last years of his life trying to dismantle.” We feel there is beautiful irony in selling an image of a bigot and using the profit towards achieving equality for exactly what they hated. Which is why all net profit (money earned after cost/printing) will be going to http://www.hrc.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 150
05:24 PM on 03/22/14
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Hello everyone.

Let’s talk. While we were slightly surprised by the controversy our “Good Riddance” t-shirt created, we understand the points made by those of you who looked down on the design. We should have known many of you weren’t aware of the background of the shirt and it’s story.

Let me explain a little. We originally created this shirt in 2008 as a companion to the song from our demo that year called “wehatefredphelps.com.” The original shirt had a line from the song, “We’d love to see you in the ground,” in the place where “Good Riddance” is now. The size of the words align with the original design. Kids seemed to like it and it fit with the angst of the band. I originally wrote the song after going to multiple WBC protests to talk to the members of the church about their stance. After recording the song I even tried giving them burned copies and lyric sheets when they protested a Marilyn Manson concert here in LA in 2009.

Here we are years later, and the man has died. We got messages saying we should reprint the design, so we thought "we'll do an updated version and have the proceeds go to benefit what the man lived the last years of his life trying to dismantle.” We feel there is beautiful irony in selling an image of a bigot and using the profit towards achieving equality for exactly what they hated. Which is why all net profit (money earned after cost/printing) will be going to http://www.hrc.com

Is it in poor taste? Depends on your taste buds. Poor taste to me is creating an evil cult to protest funerals, discriminate love, and who's website is godhatesfags.com if you wanna just slightly scratch the surface.

The last remaining shirts will be gone sometime tonight or tomorrow, so THANK YOU for all of you who picked up the shirt and supported the cause.

Lastly, I firmly believe that art is best when it creates a public discourse on subjects that matter. So for us to see people talking about these sorts of things is exciting regardless, and we thank you for the conversation.
- Jeremy / TA

ps: here's a link to the 2008 demo of wehatefredphelps.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifvh7OQZemQ

pss; here's a link to a bad scan of the original shirt. http://bit.ly/1kTyaPU
05:30 PM on 03/22/14
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
Really happy Jeremy wrote this. I personally wouldn't wear the shirt, but I'm glad it exists and there are those out there willing to make a stance on the church in such a strong way.
05:35 PM on 03/22/14
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
User Info.
Happy that all proceeds are going to it, although I still don't care for the shirt though
05:35 PM on 03/22/14
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Comes off wayyyy too defensive
05:37 PM on 03/22/14
Ryan Dennehy
i like that he acts like something is only in poor taste if you're an over the top caricature of bigotry and everything else is A-ok

come on bruh
05:38 PM on 03/22/14
thesinkingship
Can't get that engine turned over
User Info.
Comes off wayyyy too defensive
nope
05:42 PM on 03/22/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Well-stated. I'm still not in favor of the decision, but I'm glad he addressed it.
05:49 PM on 03/22/14
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
Still seems pretty scummy
05:50 PM on 03/22/14
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Make a shirt promoting the charity or something then and give them the benefits. Its harder to try to flip a negative thing into a positive than it is to just have a positive thing.
05:50 PM on 03/22/14
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
05:51 PM on 03/22/14
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
I'm glad he made it a point to say the shirt is a re-print from one of their first shirts. I feel like a lot of people just thought they decided to do it last second to be controversial, at least now people can see there was *some* kind of rationale to it.
05:51 PM on 03/22/14
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
One of my friends talked to Fred's son at a conference wearing this shirt. I spoke to one of the Phelps daughters on facebook a few years ago, and all of the WBC are well aware of Touché Amoré, and she explained something like they're all ***-mongering heathen who are going to hell, or whatever their response to everything is.

Sure making fun of someone's death when they were a father, husband, etc. is in poor taste, when I think of what the WBC stands for, I think of the deaths they've made fun of, I think of the culture that allows them to be a "haha look at those nutjobs; totally not the product of a bigger picture! d'aww I'm gonna write about this on facebook". I think that if there's ever a time to grant someone a pass on making light of someone who did so much harm dying, it's right now. As for me, I wouldn't wear it because i don't want to go around glamourizing someone's death nor do I want to bring attention to someone vile, but whatever.

I think that in the grand scheme of something, a marginal band like Touché Amoré (at least in the sense that millions of people won't be buying these shirts) reprinting a shirt they made 5 years ago and donating some of the profits to a good cause is irrelevant at worst, positive at best.
05:53 PM on 03/22/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Think the whole thing was blown way out of proportion.
05:53 PM on 03/22/14
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
I despise essentially everything this hateful man stood for, but I am of the firm belief that celebrating anyone's death in such a manner is crass. That's just my two cents, though. Glad to hear proceeds go to something meaningful.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests