Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
08:11 AM on 03/27/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Ooookay. Your riyl is almost every album I love. (And, is it possible to track down the Suicide Handbook songs into the original full length? Weren't they cut up into a compilation?)
I'll be checking this out immediately.

Yeah, no way you don't love this.

And yes, the Suicide Handbook is out there as it was originally recorded. They did cut it up, and some of the songs went to Gold and some went to Demolition, but the original album is a double LP that's more stripped down and rough. It's wonderful.

I found out about him through Jason's blog post a while back. Thank goodness this album's on Rdio, I'm excited to listen.

Edit: Also, this review was very well written. Lots of awesome lyrics to support your points.

Let me know what you think. And thanks, there were so many lyrics that I wanted to quote here that it was hard to just pick a few.
05:54 PM on 03/27/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I saw a write up on this album the other day and immediately added it to a playlist.The first track is beautiful, haunting, and exactly what I was hoping for. It seemedevery subsequent track left me less and less interested. I was also on my first few spins of the new Hold Steady so probably wasn’t in the right mind set for this.

The “brandnew set of guitar strings,” line is beautiful and reminds me of the Owen cut that has a variation of the same line. Thematically the album reminds me a lotof Cassinos first album and “American Low” specifically.

Your review has me excited to go back and give this a deep listen.

Also as someone who writes every day I just want to say that this is an extremely well written piece, Craig.The line about “burning that house to the ground because that’s the only thing you cando to stay warm,” is excellent.

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it. And I would definitely recommend going back for another listen. This definitely DOESN'T mesh with the new Hold Steady, so that tight have been part of your problem. Haha

Wicked review and what a fantastic album. I first heard Ledges off a mix from a blog I get new music from and loved it so much I invested in discovering the album. Boathouse and the opening track with that line about new guitar strings when his voice goes nuts is awesome. So relate able and down to earth it's awesome.

Great album, great review!

Thanks!

Any idea where I can find the double LP?

You can't buy it anywhere, obviously, since no official copies were ever pressed or even released on iTunes or anything. I'd recommend just Googling around for a torrent or a zip or something. Ryan put it out there himself, I think, so downloading it "illegally" is perfectly reasonable. I'd give you a link, but I'm sure the ones I downloaded from back in 2008 or 2009 are down. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I'll just upload it for you.

This record is damn near perfect; I've been infatuated with Noah's music since I caught him on the TWLOHA "Heavy & Light" tour last year.

I also want to make special mention of the song "Time Moves Quickly", the album closer. The song fucking shattered me when I first listened to it.

Man, I'd love to see this guy live.

"Time Moves Quickly" is actually my least favorite song on the album by a fair margin. Still good, but I kind of wish "Dying Now" was the closer.
06:45 PM on 03/27/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I'm listening to this album now, and totally falling in love with it. I get a Mumford vibe from his voice at times -- thiss is blowing me away.
I found Suicide Handbook, by the way. Got any other rarity Ryan Adams I should be on the lookout for?
Glad you like it. Yeah, there's definitely a Mumford sound in his voice at times.

What do you have of Adams? There's a lot of unreleased stuff. The other essential is 48 Hours, but there are a few other "lost" albums or demo/b-side collections that are worth tracking down too. I'll make a list tomorrow.
09:38 AM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I've heard a lot about this, I'll have to listen soon
Do it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives