AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Acoustic News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Owen Pallett Goes Music Theory On "Get Lucky"

Posted by - 12:39 PM on 03/28/14
Owen Pallett is not deterred from one of our readers saying he got it "outright wrong" in his analysis of Katy Perry. This time he has taken a look at Daft Punk's "Get Lucky."
There’s a delicious middle finger extended here, beyond the fact that the four-chord loop never alters: Pharrell’s vocal performances, and Nile’s guitar parts, are photocopied. The pre-choruses, the choruses, they are exactly identical, copy-pasted in GarageBand. It’s not even evident that Daft Punk asked its guests to do complete takes. This isn’t innovative, but it is egregious, a punkish move, sending a clear message: “This Is Pop, Where Repetition Is King, And Our Time Is More Valuable Than Yours.”

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
12:59 PM on 03/28/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
I feel like this is time that this guy could have spent doing anything else...and it would have been far more productive. ANYTHING else.
01:01 PM on 03/28/14
shwaz499
User Info.
These features are interesting but I think its important to remember that there is no scientific formula for a good pop song. You can break them down and explain the music theory behind them but there are tons of examples of weak songs that use the same concepts. There's so many intangible factors that go into good song writing and the possibilities are truly endless. These are fun pieces but if this guy thinks he genuinely could explain what makes a great pop song great using music theory, well, thats just foolish.
01:03 PM on 03/28/14
Buscemi Knows Best
You owe me a Sausage McMuffin.
User Info.
Overanalysis. No need to study theory on pop music. We like it because we like it. It's fun and catchy as fuck.

We eat what we like! - Applejacks
01:04 PM on 03/28/14
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Quote:
[...] but on a Kinsey scale, I’d rate it a 3.
Oh wow.
01:12 PM on 03/28/14
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
I'll just say that I really don't feel like reading the whole thing, but from that snippet it looks like he's analyzing what he thinks the process was, which unless he was actually there, I doubt he knows.
01:24 PM on 03/28/14
jco3
Hi.
User Info.
"Get Lucky" never really did grow on me. They did push the heck out of that song, though.
01:30 PM on 03/28/14
shwaz499
User Info.
I'll just say that I really don't feel like reading the whole thing, but from that snippet it looks like he's analyzing what he thinks the process was, which unless he was actually there, I doubt he knows.
Not at all what he's doing. He's examining what makes the song "work" by analyzing it using music theory.
01:45 PM on 03/28/14
jpmalone4
Avoid Eye Contact Monthly
User Info.
I really enjoyed reading these. Songwriting is so incredibly fascinating - it just goes to show how there's no one way to craft a song that can affect millions of people.
01:59 PM on 03/28/14
Trashcore
lower lifes
User Info.
I hate this dude. He went onto the semantics of the word good, completely missing the point that this isn't a song about just having fun, its a colorful jump around instead of saying sex. They wrote a song on the radio in a pop sensibility about sex without it sounding like sex, thats the fucking point. Theres no need to delve into the fact that english speakers don't refer to anything as good fun, thats the entire point of the song and you missed it because you were too busy worrying about why and how they wrote it. Fuck yourself.
02:05 PM on 03/28/14
letsgoflyers
User Info.
And with that being said, Daft Punk got millions of people to move their body, sing-a-long & have a good time, and make a crap ton more money than the guy who wrote this article.
02:57 PM on 03/28/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
And with that being said, Daft Punk got millions of people to move their body, sing-a-long & have a good time, and make a crap ton more money than the guy who wrote this article.
to be fair, owen has collaborated with arcade fire, beirut, tay swift, mountain goats, and has had a pretty successful solo career. i've been to a final fantasy show, and it was super fun. daft punk has definitely made more money, but to say owen isn't fun, that isn't fair.

so much owen hate. it's an interesting article for someone who's not well versed in music theory. i don't think this article was meant to be taken super seriously.
04:57 PM on 03/28/14
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
User Info.
awful song. silence is more compelling.
05:52 PM on 03/28/14
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The issue is more that no one likes hearing someone talk as if they have and do so much better and are superior.
06:47 PM on 03/28/14
Dbollus
djdbollus.tumblr.com
User Info.
There's really nothing profound in this article. Entry level music theory to explain the simplicity of pop music.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos