Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts
04:26 PM on 04/01/14
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
First impressions.

I do miss the hyper-detailed lyrical style. Finn is still a genius but I feel like these lyrics are less impactful because I don't care about the characters he mentions -- they are almost all just he, she, you anyway (no names). I cared about Holly and the rest of the gang. I feel like there is less to dig through due to the record having fewer self-references than any other THS album as well.

The production doesn't fit, you're right. The vocal effects still annoy me, especially on the couple of tracks where the reverb just goes beyond a joke. I'm looking at you, Runner's High. For a 'big rock record' the music doesn't hit with any force. Still some great guitar work though. I love Lucero so am stoked on the addition of Slevdige.

Song-by-song this album is really good. I'll give it a lot more spins before I can back this statement up, but it might have as many killer tracks as Stay Positive (which, by the way, also got a P4k BNM). It also has less tracks than Stay Positive, so is a more consistent album. Although I don't think it hits the highs SP did, and so it's still rung below for me (for now).

Separation Sunday will always be their best, followed by Boys and Girls. Stay Positive and Almost Killed Me are killer as well, and Teeth Dreams could be in their league. I think it's better than Heaven is Whenever because I really only still love two songs from that record, Weekenders and We Can Get Together. Which brings me to my final point.

The Hold Steady have already released two of my favourite albums ever, so I don't feel a need for them to drop another classic record. If they can keep writing good albums which each have a few standout tracks that can be added to my imaginary THS best-of mixtape, I'll be happy. Teeth Dreams accomplishes that easily. With more spins, it could mean even more to me.

Nice review -- I liked the stream-of-consciousness style.
04:29 PM on 04/02/14
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
This review is amazing man. Love the blog format and background. I also got really into heaven is whenever but also stay positive (initially due to Ben Nichols guest vocals on the 2 tracks) but agree on Boys and Girls in America. I really became a fan once I saw them live. Will be spinning the new one soon
Which other track is Ben on? I only know Magazines...
09:58 PM on 04/02/14
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
He said my name's Steeeeve Perry baby, people call me "Circuit City"
You know, I have never understood if there was any connection between Steve Perry and Circuit City... I'm not a huge Journey fan although I have listened to Don't Stop Believin' about 50 times lately as I make my mind up about what happens in the final scene of The Sopranos. He dies btw.
10:50 PM on 04/02/14
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
I think it's just Craig Finn's usual witty stream-of-consciousness semi-nonsensical pop culture references haha
Yeah I did some digging ages ago but couldn't fit the pieces together. On the weekend I drove two hours to the nearest CD shop (yep) because I didn't want to wait a couple of weeks for Teeth Dreams. I had a couple of other things to do in the city but buying the new THS was my top priority. It was March 29. I asked the guy working where the album was and he told me it comes out on April 25. An argument ensued, but no CD did I buy. This is why people listen to emo music.
10:53 PM on 04/02/14
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
He said my name's Steeeeve Perry baby, people call me "Circuit City"
Also I believe "she" said that haha.
07:20 PM on 04/05/14
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
Sequestered in Memphis. Check it out - you can hear that gravelly voice a mile away
I'll have to listen harder, must have heard that song a hundred times haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version