Username
Password
Line-up Change News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Line-up Change
Inside AP.net

Protest the Hero Part Ways with Bassist

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/03/14)
Protest The Hero have parted ways with bassist Arif Mirabdolbaghi.
Arif has decided that the touring schedule we have signed up for to support Volition is more intense than what he is prepared to commit. He is actively involved with other projects at home and being a full time band member isn't a practical thing. Though he has and will be missed out on the road with his brothers, everything was left on a positive note and we are open to his involvement down the road and only time will see how it all plays out. In the meantime, our longtime friend and tourmate Cam McLellan will be filling in on bass duties for the rest of the cycle. As an amazing musician, co-writer and producer of Volition, he is more than capable to pick off where Riffy left off. Don't fret, Cam's working on his giant happy smile and well placed high kicks during our set!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
10:37 AM on 04/03/14
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
this devastates me - such an eclectic personality both on and off the stage
10:42 AM on 04/03/14
ChaseTx
This is a huge disappointment. Glad it's what he wants and everyone's still cool though
10:44 AM on 04/03/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Sad, but doesn't really surprise me either.
10:57 AM on 04/03/14
jesster4life911
User Info.
This guy was awesome. I remember him taking such a long time to talk to my brother and I back when they toured with The Bled and As Cities Burn. Really nice, and a great bassist.
11:04 AM on 04/03/14
thesinkingship
Can't get that engine turned over
User Info.
Too bad. Now we have to put up with Rody's shitty song writing all the time.
11:10 AM on 04/03/14
LakeTahoeSC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, this. I remember seeing them tour with Boys Night Out right after they put out Kezia and everyone in the band seemed legitimately surprised that people loved them.
11:12 AM on 04/03/14
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
Well, it says they were open for involvement, so I really bet he'll be back for future projects. Unreal bassists, one of the few where you can say, "that is definitely Arif."
11:16 AM on 04/03/14
Jasonhxc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Bummer. Prob seeing them on Saturday too!
11:18 AM on 04/03/14
ChaseTx
I don't think Arif wrote anything on Volition anyway. I don't think Rody's lyrics are bad. Just not as prolific as Arif's
11:22 AM on 04/03/14
thesinkingship
Can't get that engine turned over
User Info.
I don't think Arif wrote anything on Volition anyway. I don't think Rody's lyrics are bad. Just not as prolific as Arif's
Yeah, Arif didn't write anything on Volition and I don't enjoy that album outside of Tilting Against Windmills. And C'est la Vie is the only song from the last record that I like. I think Rody's lyrics are better on Volition but I still think they are pretty poor for the most part.
11:22 AM on 04/03/14
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
I feel like their popularity is on somewhat of a downward spiral so that probably didn't help, although I haven't seen them in about a year or 2 so I could be wrong.
11:25 AM on 04/03/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I feel like their popularity is on somewhat of a downward spiral so that probably didn't help, although I haven't seen them in about a year or 2 so I could be wrong.

The band packed a big 18+ venue in Winnipeg last November and they just won a JUNO Award/Canadian Grammy for Volition on Saturday, so yeah, I'd disagree. I think Arif is really genuinely just sick of touring. Not to forget the fact that the band was able to raise over $341,000 to record Volition in the first place.
11:26 AM on 04/03/14
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
The band packed a big 18+ venue in Winnipeg last November and they just won a JUNO Award/Canadian Grammy for Volition on Saturday, so yeah, I'd disagree. I think Arif is really genuinely just sick of touring. Not to forget the fact that the band was able to raise over $341,000 to record Volition in the first place.
I don't live in Canada... sorry I wouldn't know that lol
11:34 AM on 04/03/14
ChaseTx
Yeah, Arif didn't write anything on Volition and I don't enjoy that album outside of Tilting Against Windmills. And C'est la Vie is the only song from the last record that I like. I think Rody's lyrics are better on Volition but I still think they are pretty poor for the most part.
I really like Scurrilous. Arif had two or three on that, coincidentally.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests