AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Amazon News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Leaked Contracts Hint at Amazon Streaming Music Service

Posted by - 03:53 PM on 04/04/14
Where there's smoke there's usually fire ... and these leaked contracts sure make it look like Amazon is looking to launch a music streaming like service in the very near future.
The contract also makes mention of an option to offer consumers free access to music, but with limits: Consumers would be able to stream some songs for free, but only once for each recording. That kind of free tier could be a good promotion for the service itself, but the idea isn’t actually all that new. Subscribers of Google’s Play Music All Access subscription service can already share entire albums with their friends this way, giving them one shot to listen to each song.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
04:09 PM on 04/04/14
Shoorty0690
User Info.
I hate how all these sites say the new kid on the block is the "Killer" of something. Google Play was suppose to be a killer, and Beats Music, and iTunes Radio/Match, and whatever new streaming services I'm forgetting.
04:42 PM on 04/04/14
MathewHeroic
Mathew Barletta
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed - I don't know that this is going to be a Spotify Killer...
05:03 PM on 04/04/14
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hate how all these sites say the new kid on the block is the "Killer" of something. Google Play was suppose to be a killer, and Beats Music, and iTunes Radio/Match, and whatever new streaming services I'm forgetting.
Journalism/PR 101.
05:22 PM on 04/04/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
They don't already have a streaming service?
05:24 PM on 04/04/14
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
If this is included in an amazon prime account i may finally get prime.
08:41 PM on 04/04/14
InfiniteArms
#Nygma
User Info.
If it has a better streaming quality than their sound samples on the actual web page, then I'm willing to give it a try at least, but if it's going to sound like the songs were recorded with potato, then I don't think it will last.
08:47 PM on 04/04/14
ChaseTx
If this is included in an amazon prime account i may finally get prime.
If so, hopefully they don't go the route Prime Instant Video did and only offer a selection of older, lower demand content
08:52 PM on 04/04/14
Niko John
Space Cowboy
User Info.
Another one? These companies need to start bringing something new to diversify themselves from the crowd.
09:07 PM on 04/04/14
ChaseTx
People act like a competitive market is a bad thing.
09:53 PM on 04/04/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Interesting. I have so much invested in spotify that I'm not likely to switch to anything any time soon, but more ways for artists to make money off streaming is a good thing. I feel like more services could achieve that.
09:54 PM on 04/04/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Agreed - I don't know that this is going to be a Spotify Killer...
Doesn't have to be, could tap into new markets.
10:23 PM on 04/04/14
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
part of my note (basically, my law school thesis) was about the idea of a platform that bridged streaming and sales, so this is interesting to see. what the article talks about isn't quite what i proposed, but it's cool to see things moving more that way.
10:54 PM on 04/04/14
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
This'd make sense as a sort of fig leaf to people mad at the Prime price increase. Spotify Premium is 10 dollars a month so the price of providing the service is probably around five dollars. Amazon still makes more money from Prime and gets to say they're doing something cool for subscribers.
06:56 AM on 04/05/14
dohare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this space is so crowded, is it that lucrative for companies? i thought the margin was slim on these types of businesses?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos