Username
Password

12:23 PM on 04/12/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
A place to talk about / recommend / discuss tunrtables and everything related to them (storage, cleaning, etc).

My turntable: Audio-Technica LP120

I also would recommend taking a look at replacement cartridges, like this Shure M97xE.
01:42 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm a complete noob when it comes to this area, so I apologize for this question.

I've seen you post about this player many times and I do plan on checking it out. My question is will I need to buy speakers, an amp, or anything else that I can't think of right now?
Yes, you'd need speakers ... the LP120 has an internal preamp, so, if you have powered speakers with a built in amplifier you can connect the turntable directly to the speakers. If the speakers are not powered you will need a receiver and/or amplifier.

I run the turntable into my receiver and the same speakers that are connected to my TV. It's not technically the best "audiophille" set-up but it works.

Speaking of -- The Wirecutter just named this the "best turntable for casual listeners."
The Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB is the best because it sounds great, includes a phono preamp, is very flexible and speed accurate, and it lets you digitize your LP collection if you desire. The AT-LP120-USB is a great entry-point for the vinyl enthusiast and shines even when matched against a table costing twice as much.

The sound quality of the AT-LP120-USB with the included cartridge and integrated preamp is remarkably good. With high-quality source material, it has the ability to present a quiet background with very good channel separation and vocal clarity. It can stumble a bit on very busy musical sections on the inner grooves of records, but many tables do this. The more records I play on the Audio Technica, the more I find myself appreciating it.
02:05 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Thinking about getting a U-Turn Orbit soon. Anyone have experience? I've only heard good things.

…the [U-turn] tables I measured are more than 2 times worse than their specs and possibly much more…

Unfortunately, both suffer from is a tendency to slow down a bit during certain musical passages. Speed shifts under 1% are often inaudible to people, but the shifts from the U-Turn tables are easy to hear. At first, I wasn’t sure if it was just me, so I called in Wirecutter associate editor Michael Zhao and his brother to make sure I wasn’t just hearing things. Both of them immediately noticed the speed shifts as well—long, sustained notes develop an unpleasant warbling

Doing a direct A-B comparison of them to the Audio Technica, the sound is very close but the speed shifts make it easy to choose the AT-LP120-USB. And compared to the Pro-Ject, the U-Turn tables are a clear step down in clarity and bass response. The tonearm is also limited in what cartridges it can support due to a smaller range of counterweight adjustments. The extra $50 for the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB over the Orbit Basic is clearly worth it.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

I heard one at a friend's house and it had a hollow sound to me -- the build quality was good compared to most "budget" turntables I see -- but I wasn't all that impressed with the output (aware there are other factors that could come into play there).
03:47 PM on 05/07/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
You should be able to do it without the gauge. Instructions come with.
01:38 PM on 05/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Hopes you love it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music