AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

12:39 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Genuma
Plainfield, IL
Male
Thinking about getting a U-Turn Orbit soon. Anyone have experience? I've only heard good things.
01:17 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Genuma
Plainfield, IL
Male
Only downsides seem to be the wait time and the lack of a cueing lever (which I think they're adding soon), but all the reviews seem to be positive.
How long is the wait time roughly?
06:56 PM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
Genuma
Plainfield, IL
Male

…the [U-turn] tables I measured are more than 2 times worse than their specs and possibly much more…

Unfortunately, both suffer from is a tendency to slow down a bit during certain musical passages. Speed shifts under 1% are often inaudible to people, but the shifts from the U-Turn tables are easy to hear. At first, I wasn’t sure if it was just me, so I called in Wirecutter associate editor Michael Zhao and his brother to make sure I wasn’t just hearing things. Both of them immediately noticed the speed shifts as well—long, sustained notes develop an unpleasant warbling

Doing a direct A-B comparison of them to the Audio Technica, the sound is very close but the speed shifts make it easy to choose the AT-LP120-USB. And compared to the Pro-Ject, the U-Turn tables are a clear step down in clarity and bass response. The tonearm is also limited in what cartridges it can support due to a smaller range of counterweight adjustments. The extra $50 for the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB over the Orbit Basic is clearly worth it.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

I heard one at a friend's house and it had a hollow sound to me -- the build quality was good compared to most "budget" turntables I see -- but I wasn't all that impressed with the output (aware there are other factors that could come into play there).
Interesting. Didn't know there was that much disparity between the two.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos