Username
Password
Hip-Hop News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Hip-Hop
Inside AP.net

Musician Not Happy with Perfect Pitchfork Score

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/15/14)
Prodigy of Mobb Deep was not happy about getting a perfect score from Pitchfork for the re-release of Da Infamous. Dylan McCarthy at ToneDeaf takes a look at the entire situation:
He raises the question: should privileged middle-class white guys be commenting on rap music when they have no firsthand experience of the culture and the struggles and oppression that come with it in other words, no credibility on the matter?

Submitted by ParkwayTom

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 90
11:56 AM on 04/15/14
ihaveblink
User Info.
While pitchfork writers are generally the worst, this is kind of dumb. I mean, really dumb.
12:05 PM on 04/15/14
Ryan Dennehy
Really embarrassing for prodigy
12:06 PM on 04/15/14
Ryan Dennehy
This summary seems to miss that prodigy was mad about getting a 4.9 in the same piece for the confusingly titled new album that came alongside the reissue.

Or at least he misses it in the beginning
12:14 PM on 04/15/14
Bradical
User Info.
"The struggle" becomes irrelevant once you're a rapper using twitter to attack a reviewer
12:14 PM on 04/15/14
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
This summary seems to miss that prodigy was mad about getting a 4.9 in the same piece for the confusingly titled new album that came alongside the reissue.

Or at least he misses it in the beginning
Yeah, that makes a LOT more sense. Mr. Tate, I feel like the title of the article should be changed so as to avoid confusion.
12:16 PM on 04/15/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, that makes a LOT more sense. Mr. Tate, I feel like the title of the article should be changed so as to avoid confusion.
I see no confusion with the title and what happened.

Looking at the situation - it's very clear that Prodigy does not believe critics are qualified to rate their music, regardless of the score.

It's also an interesting point to look at and discuss ...
12:23 PM on 04/15/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
"The struggle" becomes irrelevant once you're a rapper using twitter to attack a reviewer
Why's that?
12:24 PM on 04/15/14
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
Well, alot of Pitchfork's intended audience lives in Brooklyn or wants to live in Brooklyn (but already lives or wants to live in Portland)...
12:30 PM on 04/15/14
suckitandsee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think there's anything here to discuss. Prodigy comes off looking like a total ass in this situation. And that's coming from someone who can't stand P4K's writing.
12:32 PM on 04/15/14
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
I see no confusion with the title and what happened.

Looking at the situation - it's very clear that Prodigy does not believe critics are qualified to rate their music, regardless of the score.

It's also an interesting point to look at and discuss ...
Fair enough.
12:38 PM on 04/15/14
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
User Info.
lots of racists in this thread
12:38 PM on 04/15/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
The important thing to remember here, is that nobody is ever allowed to enjoy something, if they aren't 100% exactly the same as the person making the art.
12:39 PM on 04/15/14
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
Prodigy grew up in an environment that I would assume the vast majority of the users here did not experience firsthand. While I probably would not react the same if I was in his position, I can understand why he'd be so defensive of art that is clearly deeply personal

I guess I don't really get the uproar from people here in reaction to artists criticizing bad reviews of their music. Shit, whatever man
12:41 PM on 04/15/14
PandaBear!
\m/ (-.-) \m/
User Info.
You ever go to discuss a topic & just think "oh, whats the fucking point"? I'm there now...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests